Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Crawford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When buying Anatomy, can a player take Written Record as his free Science with undiscounted price < 100?

2. Is there an authoritative ruling on the question asked in another thread here ...
Quote:
Q2:Resolving Civil Disorder, I have 2 cities and 'Naval Warfare'. How many cities will I Reduce?
A) "all but 3 cities" is 0 cities, and then "1 additional city". So, I will reduce 1 city.
B) I have 'Naval Warfare', so Civil Disorder should reduce all but 2 of my cities instead of all but 3, and I will reduce 0 cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEFGIRT wrote:
1. When buying Anatomy, can a player take Written Record as his free Science with undiscounted price < 100?

Yes. Written Record counts as both colors, as do all hybrid advances.

AEFGIRT wrote:
2. Is there an authoritative ruling on the question asked in another thread here ...
Quote:
Q2:Resolving Civil Disorder, I have 2 cities and 'Naval Warfare'. How many cities will I Reduce?
A) "all but 3 cities" is 0 cities, and then "1 additional city". So, I will reduce 1 city.
B) I have 'Naval Warfare', so Civil Disorder should reduce all but 2 of my cities instead of all but 3, and I will reduce 0 cities.

If you want authoritative, you can always message Flo de Han directly. My answer is that you will reduce 0 cities. Naval Warfare modifies the number stated in the rules for Civil Disorder, regardless of what you have on the board. So "all but 3" becomes "all but 2", which still doesn't affect you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Harengel
Germany
Greven
Münsterland
flag msg tools
this geek loves strategy games
badge
this is an old photography of the young man
mbmbmbmbmb
It ist B). "all but 3" and one additional gives "all but 2".
No authority needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
AEFGIRT wrote:

Yes. Written Record counts as both colors, as do all hybrid advances.

AEFGIRT wrote:
Quote:

If you want authoritative, you can always message Flo de Han directly. My answer is that you will reduce 0 cities. Naval Warfare modifies the number stated in the rules for Civil Disorder, regardless of what you have on the board. So "all but 3" becomes "all but 2", which still doesn't affect you.

1. Yes. Written record is a green (science) card. (as well as a red (civic) card). You may choose any one green card <100, including Written Record.

Civil Disorder. Reduce all but 3 of your cities
[-] If you hold ‘Naval Warfare’, reduce 1 additional city.

page 34: The effects of Civilization Advances on a calamity are cumulative.

That means, that you first calculate the effect, before you apply them.

In the case of 2 cities:
Reduce all but 3-1=2 of your cities.
In your case no effects, you're safe.

This is different from Masonry and Cyclone for instance. The wordings differ.
Masonry says: "CYCLONE: Reduce 1 less of your selected cities."
The resolution of Cyclone first lets you select the cities, then apply effects of Civilization Advances (deselect cities), then reduce the selected cities.

The definition of Cyclone is:
Select the open sea area that has the largest number of your cities in areas directly adjacent to it. Select 3 of these cities. All other players with cities in areas directly adjacent to the same open sea area must select 2 of their cities in areas adjacent to the open sea area as well.
If you hold ‘Trade Empire’, you must select 1 additional city in an area adjacent to the open sea area. After selecting:
If you hold ‘Masonry’, deselect 1 of your selected cities.
If you hold ‘Calendar’, deselect 2 of your selected cities.

Reduce all selected cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.