Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my initial trials for a Solo play variant. It works pretty well, but I think I may need some refinement.

How to Win:
- Crush It! by Escaping Oddtopia
- Minor Victory: Score 100 points

How to Lose:
- Lucky the Dog is trashed.
- You do not escape after 14 rounds and have less than 100 points.

Set-up:
From the Junk deck remove the following from the game: 1 Flux Capacitor, 4 Aethers, 4 Encryptors, 6 Pumps and 8 Gizmos
From the Maven deck pull out 1 of each Maven (except Pumpkin Ted and Greed). The cards that are pulled out will form an "Opponents" deck. Shuffle it.
Hirelings: Remove 4 of each from the game.

Set-up the game as normal, except DO NOT rearrange the Junk and Maven Banks by cost. Leave them in the order you drew them, with the left-most card being the first card drawn. Any time you acquire a card from a bank slide the cards to the left and replace it on the far right.

Game play:
Play the game as normal except when you get to the Reveal phase, draw one card from the "Opponents" deck. Ignore the text on the card. If it's Wicked card, Trash the left-most Maven card from the Maven Bank. If it's a Tinkerer Trash the left-most Junk card from the Junk Bank.
If it's an Oddling Trash the left-most card from either row (your choice) and the top Hireling card.

For the Head-to-Head challenge compare your total Tinkerer/Wicked power to the Opponent card. Take spoils if you win. The Opponent does not get spoils.

That's it... play for 14 rounds or until you escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results:

So far I've built a Time Machine once and lost 3 times. So it relies a little bit too much on luck of the draw. I think I may need to adjust the Maven deck. I also think Hirelings may be able to remove from the game entirely (except one Clockmakers for Pumpkin Ted's escape condition).

I have not tried to just maximize points for a Minor Victory yet. Most points I've scored was 88 though so I think if I focused on VP it's doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hullo, hullo! 'Tis Maricel from the campaign comments and I've eagerly subscribed to this thread in anticipation of more discussion regarding solo play.

I must confess, everything you've written so far has been confounding to me, but only because I've yet to hunker down and read the rulebook. I tend to be a "no spoilers" kinda gal and will take people's word for whether or not a game is good, preferring not to fully dive into a game until I have it in my hot, little hands.

That said, here's hoping the devs chime in and approve of your variant and/or you manage to personally tweak it to your satisfaction.

Happy solo adventuring! (Or mis-adventuring, eh?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there is too much luck of the draw. In addition, getting a Time Machine would rely on slamming through the Junk deck, almost to the exclusion of all else, in order to get the Flux Capacitors.

I would say to leave the extra FC in the Junk deck to assist in this.

In my experiences in the playtest, the Time Machine could be the victory condition much more easily when more than one player was pushing through the Junk Deck - making it more likely that the FCs would appear.

The same, of course, could be said of the Three Sisters and Pumpkin Ted.

I don't have a solution to this, though, except that it seems your best chance is to go for points.

Ultimately, you would want to put some intelligence into the game; a solo game as it stands would rely heavily on luck, whereas in the real game the strategy comes out as you watch what your opponents are doing and try to work around their strategies. Perhaps some way to get an understanding of what the 'opponent' is focusing on (dunno how that would work, either... just random thoughts at 3 am).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Beyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello All,
I'm late to the party but made it just in time. The talk I hear of the solo variant so far makes me think that you might want to consider ranking the escape conditions. This would give players some replay-ability as they can try for different victory conditions depending on how much of a challenge they are up for. As I understand it the solo player will likely be deciding how they want to try and win from the outset and this way the designers can indicate what play-testing has shown to be the most difficult victories to achieve. The play-testing would then dictate which cards are removed to drive the difficulty into the pre-selected categories. Just some food for thought from someone who is only three days experienced with the product.

Example: 1. Whicard of Oddtopia, score 150 points; 2. Tamer of Toads, escape with Pumpkin Ted; 3. Hocus Pocus Focus, escape with the Three Sister's Spell; 4. Lucky's Walk Take Two, escape with the time machine; 5. Minor Victory: Score 100 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtbeyer wrote:
Hello All,
I'm late to the party but made it just in time. The talk I hear of the solo variant so far makes me think that you might want to consider ranking the escape conditions. This would give players some replay-ability as they can try for different victory conditions depending on how much of a challenge they are up for. As I understand it the solo player will likely be deciding how they want to try and win from the outset and this way the designers can indicate what play-testing has shown to be the most difficult victories to achieve. The play-testing would then dictate which cards are removed to drive the difficulty into the pre-selected categories. Just some food for thought from someone who is only three days experienced with the product.

Example: 1. Whicard of Oddtopia, score 150 points; 2. Tamer of Toads, escape with Pumpkin Ted; 3. Hocus Pocus Focus, escape with the Three Sister's Spell; 4. Lucky's Walk Take Two, escape with the time machine; 5. Minor Victory: Score 100 points.

I like this idea and agree that it gives the game more replayability for a solo gamer. I'm one of the weird folk that like beat your own score variants. I understand luck is a factor but does it really matter which cards are left out of the game? Is this what people mean by "unbalanced" and "breaking" a game? I've never played a deck builder, so pardon my ignorance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Lucky's Misadventures there is a Maven bank full of 59 cards. If you are playing with multiple people about 2 to 5 of those cards will be acquired each round. That's ~3x14 or 42 cards leaving just 17 left. Since there is only 1 Pumpkin Ted and 1 Greed in that deck, the chances are decent that those cards appear.

In a solo game you are only going to get 1 or 2 per turn. If you didn't pull some of the cards out your chances of finding them go down significantly. That means winning would come down to pure luck.

So I have to remove some of the cards to better balance the chance of cards appearing. I think the Maven deck is about right, but I agree that leaving the extra Flux Capacitor in is probably the right number of cards.

I'm thinking ~120 points would be the Witchard of Oddtopia while 90 points is a minor victory. But that's just more testing that is needed.

I like naming all of the victory conditions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Beyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had another thought when it comes to the solo mode. If the cards have not been printed yet, have you guys considered adding any sort of iconography to make for easy set up with solo mode? I don't know how it would affect the aesthetic of the game.

As an aside I am very excited to get my hands on a copy of Lucky's Misadventures. I got the opportunity to meet Jay at Con of the North and I can tell a lot of love has been put into this game. Keep up the good work everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the cards have been sent to the printer so it would be too late for iconography. But with my rules so far iconography wouldn't really add anything, in fact it would just make it harder to sort cards. You'd have to look for a specific Clockmaker instead of just any Clockmaker for example.

If there are more changes, then it might have proved useful, but I'm trying to stick to the bare minimum of changes.

I just haven't had a chance to test things out more. (Con of the North, winter sicknesses going around the family and a out of town trip this weekend). However, next week I should have time to sort this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vidal
msg tools
Any update to this? Or is this pretty much it? Just got my copy today and want to try it out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. My wife and I had a baby in May and it put a damper on development. Now that I have my Kickstarter copy and things have calmed down a bit I should be able to put the final touches on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Sorry. My wife and I had a baby in May and it put a damper on development. Now that I have my Kickstarter copy and things have calmed down a bit I should be able to put the final touches on this.

Congrats on your baby! Is he/she your first? And I'm surprised you have any energy to think about games, let alone a solo variant. Bless you and thank you! 👍
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtsedwards wrote:
RiffRaff14 wrote:

Congrats on your baby! Is he/she your first? And I'm surprised you have any energy to think about games, let alone a solo variant. Bless you and thank you! 👍
5th child actually. Check my microbadges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vidal
msg tools
RiffRaff14 wrote:
mtsedwards wrote:
RiffRaff14 wrote:

5th child actually. Check my microbadges

Heh, I'm about to have my third...one of the reasons why I've decided to invest in some card sleeves for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vidal
msg tools
Don't know if you're looking for anything like this, but here are the results from three games I played earlier with some notes I thought might help...(btw, really enjoyed it)

1st solo - 95 pts.
-White rabbit hireling
-Had cards for all three different win conditions, but couldn't get them to work out.

2nd solo - Built time machine in the 13th round (it says not to tally, but 62 pts)
-Clockmaker hireling
-Did not buy any additional hirelings, just mavens and junk/machines.

3rd solo - 75 pts
-Winged monkey
-Trashed 5 of the 11 starting cards
-Want to try this one again because two flux capacitors, Pumpkin Ted, and Vanity and Despair all came out in the initial deal...add in a Judgement/Death round and it was all-around kinda rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.