Subject: Cutting off retreats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Stevens
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
The retreat rules state that the attacker can retreat through any hexsides used to start the battle, and the defender can retreat through any other hexsides.

If Player 2 entered the battle through a hexside Player 1 used to start the battle, can Player 1 still use that hexside for retreats? Can Player 2 use retreat through such a hexside? In some other Columbia games this is clearly explained, but it doesn't seem to be stated in the rules here. I'd rather not have to leave a block out of a battle in order to cut off my opponent's retreat path, and if I enter a battle through a hexside in support of the battle, it seems to make sense that I'd be able to use the hexside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Willner
msg tools
mb
Alexander,
You're right that the rules here don't specifically deal with the situation you describe, where player 2 reinforces a battle by the same hexside that player 1 previously used to enter it. By comparison, in some later published Columbia games, such as Richard III, the rules do make it clear that if both players entered the battle area across the same border, only player 2 gets to use that border for retreats. As one of the co-designers, I think it makes sense to use that same approach here - thus, if player 2 reinforces the battle across the same hexside that player 1 had used to enter, that hexside is no longer available to player 1 for retreats, only player 2. If player 1 had used more than one hexside to enter the battle, he still has the alternate retreat route available, but he could be cut off if he only used that one hexside to bring in all his forces. It is a bit hard to imagine the attacker in this case retreating along the same road or trail that the defender just used to bring his reinforcements into the fight. (If there's a town in the hex from which both sides entered the battle that is friendly to the attacker, of course, the defender wouldn't be able to retreat there either, unless he had left a garrison behind on his march into the battle to ensure control of the town.)

Hope this helps,

Carl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.