BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Intro to 18xx world rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone - recently - I stumbled upon the world of 18xx games where I have become interested but not sure which to start with. We have an experience gaming group who like euro games but for some reason we came across a train game (except for Ticket to Ride).

Any suggestions on which one to start with? Are there differences between the ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People will give you various opinions, but here's my answer to your question:

1846 --- a fine introductory game in the 18XX series

I did a set of 5 teaching videos for this game:

Learn 1846 -- A set of 5 video episodes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 1846 and 1830. I liked both, and I think either would be a fine introductory game. The rules for 1830 felt more straightforward (maybe a GMT rulebook syndrome?), but the strategy for the game felt more difficult in many ways - per some conversations I had today, I'm told this is because 1830 is less about running a good company and laying good track, and more about manipulating the stock market and using your companies to get free money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Any suggestions on which one to start with? Are there differences between the ones?

If there weren't any differences it'd be an even stranger corner of the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.