• [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Baltica

It's a bit of a weird game - a sandbox with many options - not unlike the real GNW - and it takes a lot longer than the stated 180 minutes to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm no cdg eh...darn. Interesting that the war of spanish succession is going on roughly the same time...fertile ground for another multiplayer ed beach game one would think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
..fertile ground for another multiplayer ed beach game one would think!

Well .. not really - it was 2 alliances clashing, one Swedish led, the other Russian led - no other significant European power really contributed much to it, they had their own fish to fry in the War of the Spanish Succession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just linked to the earlier 1655-1660 Second Northern War in the battle of the day thread. That one would make a great multiplayer with Sweden fighting Poland, Russia, Denmark and others, while simultaneously Poland and Russia were fighting each other. And Brandenburg first being allied to Sweden and later Poland. So easily 3-4 players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Northern_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Polish_War_%281654%E2%80...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bates
England
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Three that come to mind are
Holowczyn by the Swedish game production
On to Moscow by S&T
The Great Northern War by S&T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvespot wrote:
Three that come to mind are
Holowczyn by the Swedish game production
On to Moscow by S&T
The Great Northern War by S&T

For another tactical game there was also Peter the Great by the same designer as Holowczyn, with a later expansion covering Lesnaja: 'The Mother of Poltava' September 29, 1708.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Talonz wrote:

Well .. not really - it was 2 alliances clashing, one Swedish led, the other Russian led - no other significant European power really contributed much to it, they had their own fish to fry in the War of the Spanish Succession.

Rather than using HIS/VQ as a template one could rewind and look at TNW instead? (Denmark playing the later Austrian role of being bowled over but returning to the fray when the time is right). So a purely military game. Not sure how Poland would be handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Johnson
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Battle Volume 1: The Great Northern War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Talonz wrote:

I have envisioned a CDG in the spirit of Nap Wars. Everyone against Sweden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not cdg, but a magazine game from Strategy & Tactics #302: Great Northern War is still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I didn't think that there were any games about Newcastle-Sunderland derby matches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Talonz wrote:

I have envisioned a CDG in the spirit of Nap Wars. Everyone against Sweden.

There is that....or an entire european map with the spanish succession going on at the same time as the great northern war. And yes, the tnw rules come to mind as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
A while back I had suggested to Richard Sivel, designer of Friedrich and Maria, that he apply the system to GNW, calling it “Charles.” Friedrich works great as a multiplayer 1 vs many but the many are not teammates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Baltica does a pretty good job of recreating the war in broad brush strokes. The campaign game is certainly a looong undertaking (I have never even tried) but the shorter scenarios are very playable - basically evening-length games. The Poltava scenario, for instance, is very good fun and winnable as either side. If Charles takes some risks he can be frightening to try and stop, but he can drown in a quagmire of Russian units if not careful or if the risks don't come off. Certainly not a hugely deep game - but satisfying as a contest and as history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many Miranda S&T games On to Moscow contains many good ideas. I have soloed it a bit, but not in a full game and it sort of works I think. The setup (Charles poised to march against Russia during winter 1707-1708) is not quite historically correct, however. Would need to dig out my notes to say precisely how its distorted though.

I used to teach A Level courses on Peter the Great and became rather fascinated by the Great Northern War as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.