Hide
14 Posts

Nemesis» Forums » General

Subject: Let´s talk about noise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamidor Winddancer
msg tools
Sorry, if I was to lazy to research this properly but I am worried the noise system does not work as I hoped it to be.

First a citation regarding noise from the creakingshelves review:

It doesn’t quite manage to execute on its potential, however. The noise never dissipates, meaning even if you try to avoid that area the board steadily fills up and you inevitably trigger its effects. When that happens you are guaranteed to get a creature. Of course, the game would be dull if those miniatures stayed in the box all game but noise ends up being something inevitable, and because ultimately you can’t avoid it’s outcome, it feels like an elaborate randomisation mechanic rather than what it could have been.
Imagine instead if your character were generating the noise. So that even the actions you perform in a room created noise and risked attracting the creatures. You’d be faced with a push your luck dilemma, to move slow to be safe, or to do more and risk danger. Certain actions, like firing weapons could cause more noise. It would make you feel like you were being hunted, rather than, as is, you were bumbling along into them and then running away like you’d walked in on your parents having sex.

I also hoped that you could noise to draw aliens in a specific direction. To cooperate with another player so that he can do something safely OR to lay a trap for another player and lure the aliens toward him.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually don't know how exactly they thematically explained the noise mechanic and I'm too lazy to look it up.

That said, from the way the mechanic works my interpretation would be less about the noise you make and more about the noise you hear.
it explains a few things easier than the other way round:
- placing a noise marker in a corridor you didn't use to get to a room: if you hear something it can come from any access to the room corridor or ventilation duct.
- no dissipation of markers: the markers represent a note you make to yourself "ok there is/may be something", you won't remove them until you encountered something
- removing all markers around a room on encountering an alien: you assume all the notes you made belong to the same creature and remove them in maybe false optimism.

Of course it's still just a random spawn mechanism based on visited rooms, but works quite well as an explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
That said, from the way the mechanic works my interpretation would be less about the noise you make and more about the noise you hear.

That's my understanding as well. The players are hearing noises. Is there something down that passage? Or is it just the ship creaking?

Room with more noise are going to be more dangerous to enter, since they're more likely to spawn an alien. So, to some extent, you might be able to reduce your chance of running into an alien by avoiding rooms with multiple noise markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the overall intention around the whole game is to build constant tension and uncertainty about the players fate.
Also having this noise mechanic balances quite well the Intruder presence on the board with the characters activity, think about the possible exploitation if noise was going to self cancel after 1-2 turns... the characters noise train choo-choo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Asgorn has it stated perfectly.
And it can be manipulated so that the player does have strategic abilities because of it.
...I just emptied half my color printer cartridges to try the PnP...will see if the prototype does offer a refreshing game.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
...I just emptied half my color printer cartridges to try the PnP...will see if the prototype does offer a refreshing game.....

When I opened the PnP files and saw the page count I thought "ok maybe not "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I went the cheap route and only printed odd pages and decided not to print card backs....(although a few pages do require even-page prints...

I also had to manipulate the map into 12 chunks to increase at-home printing, and thus increase the size of the map to hold the room tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The folks speaking above about the Noise mechanic being representative of what you hear, and not what you cause, are correct. Is that just the ship's damaged components scraping and rattling around? Or is it an Intruder about to bite you in half?

Noise can't be manipulated much, but the possibility is there. Last night I played a game where one player, the Scientist, needed to go to a room, but the room was full of noise markers. I wasn't with him but I was close by, and before his turn I moved to a room adjacent to his destination intentionally to listen to the Noise next to his target room. I was hoping that my Noise roll result would be for the corridor leading to his, and that's exactly what happened. I was the Soldier so I could more easily fight the Intruder that showed up, while he was able to move to his Objective room with a lesser chance of spawning another Intruder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for those struggling with the size of the PnP, there is a Tabletop Simulator module here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126500...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I play any number of characters from my seat, or do I need to set up sessions with other subscribers?

Also, do I simply "Subscribe" to download and then access the game?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
Can I play any number of characters from my seat, or do I need to set up sessions with other subscribers?

You can play by controlling multiple characters yourself in Single Player mode. Just be sure to still choose a player number equal to the number of characters you plan on playing as in the auto-setup so that the game is prepared correctly. As an aside, playing this way may be awkward due to the way the Objective cards work - you may find yourself fighting with yourself later in the game. FYI the game is playable with one character solo.

Quote:
Also, do I simply "Subscribe" to download and then access the game?
Thanks.

Yes, as long as you own Tabletop Simulator on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were also wondering about if noise would be generated when you search a room. Of course, with the explanation above in regards to noise (hearing it rather than generating it), I guess that answers our question. I also though you could just make the noise cubes with numbers on it that would increase or decrease depending on how much noise is happening, but I agree it would be easier to avoid rooms with higher noise markers. I haven't played this yet (but have watched a play-through), and (in that one anyway) it was easy early going, but got really bad by the end of it. So sure, the noise markers not going away stinks, but... if they did (assuming you had the full amount of rounds), that might be a little too easy to not encounter an alien.
I'm sure with the amount of playtesting that's gone into it (and will continue going into it), it'll be fine. This game seems ripe for house rules, too, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of this game. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vesper2112 wrote:
I also though you could just make the noise cubes with numbers on it that would increase or decrease depending on how much noise is happening, but I agree it would be easier to avoid rooms with higher noise markers.

There's no need for such feature, since at the second noise from the same spot ALL noise tokens get removed from that room and an Intruder comes to say hello
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. I know that's how it works with how the rules are now (which is fine). I was just thinking if they were to look into other ways of dealing with noise if "the crew" were the ones trying to be sneaky (or not). Moving and searching would potentially create noise that might attract the Intruders, so the higher the noise cube marker, the higher chance an Intruder would appear. But that might make it more complicated than it needs to be. Plus, I was wrong anyway and the noise is what the crew hears and not coming from the crew themselves. :-) I'm all for the more direct "once an Intruder appears, the noise markers all around go away" since the cause of the noise has exposed itself. (gasp!) LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.