Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Party wipe? TPK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Laskey

Great Falls
Montana
msg tools
So I am playing with 3 friends and we have a full party. We are playing perma-death, so reduced to 0 and you die. We play the first scenario, the spellweaver exhasts in the second room (and stays there per the exhastion rules for perma-death. The tinkerer and the mindthief exhast in the last room. We are down to one archer and me (the brute with 2 HP) I do my 6 damage card and draw the "miss". The archer then proceeds to kill me reducing me to below 0HP. We assumed that since the rest of the party is still on the map that the archer just marches through and kills everybody. We are going to start again with a new party.

Do you think we did this correctly? Would the perma-death rules interpreted this way result in perma-death for all if the rest of the party is exhasted and the last guy dies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Melsheimer
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state this: "After a scenario is failed, any character who is still alive at the end of the round survives and can continue playing." (p.50)

So, if you want to play with permadeath rules as written, only one of your characters died. If you want to make it even more painful, by all means go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except permadeath is an optional rule, which the normal rules don't really take into account.

I think it's a valid question, and I'm skeptical of the previous answer. I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

In the rulebook page 33:
Once a scenario’s success or failure conditions are triggered, the
remainder of the round is played out, and then the scenario ends

On p 28:
If all characters become exhausted during a scenario, the scenario is lost.

So if you play strictly by the rules the scenario was lost the moment everybody alive exhausted and only the current round was finished. That means your 3 playmates probably survived. But as Mark wrote the rules were not designed with permadeath as the basis so it could be that this is not like how it's actually intended. I started a 2nd run with permadeath variant and we houseruled it like you played it. Everybody would have died in that case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You'll quickly rethink perma death anyways once you reach scenario 2.
1 is a cakewalk in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverSam wrote:

You'll quickly rethink perma death.

Fixed that for you.

We tried permadeath for a while, but the problem with the rule is that once a player falls behind the rest, level-wise, they'll most likely get stuck in an infinite loop of death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverSam wrote:

You'll quickly rethink perma death anyways once you reach scenario 2.
1 is a cakewalk in comparison.
I had the opposite experience for difficulty level, but it might have just been a perfect storm of random luck or something. That being said, we haven't decided on going with permadeath or not. Most likely not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Am I the only one that thinks this should be a variant and not a rules question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks this should be a variant and not a rules question?

it is a question about a variant that is listed in the rulebook, so it is both, really.

Just like any discussion about the "solo bump", as that is listed as a variant in the rulebook as well, just like permadeath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Laskey

Great Falls
Montana
msg tools
Thanks guys! After looking at the rulebook it does indeed look like the 3 survived and I was the only one to die. I think we are going to retcon (everybody remembers thier gold and XP levels) and try again. I think I might try the Craigheart or the Scoundrel this time (Brute is probaby more optimal party balance but its hard not to want to try the other classes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.