Subject: Keyper or an expansion for Keyflower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, BGG, I don't often do this, but now my life is at a point where efficiency in purchases is the key.

I love Keyflower. It is probably my favourite game ever, and I don't often do favourites.

I like the look of Keyper, naturally. I like that reviews have called it friendlier than Keyflower. But I must make a choice -

Do I finally nab an expansion for Keyflower, or do I buy Keyper.

Any insights? These days I mostly play low player counts and with mostly casual groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Efficiency like space? Keyflower expansions fit in the box.

Or money? Keyper is probably more expensive.

Keyflower is my favorite euro. I haven't felt a need to add an expansion yet (which I own.)

So I would go with the new game since it looks great (I plan on playing it soon.) I wouldn't miss my keyflower expansions but I would miss Keyper though I have not used either yet.

But if you do get an expansion, get merchants since you play at lower player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're totally different games. They are however both in the "Key" line, if that helps. All the games in the series have the same feel, even if mechanics are somewhat different, so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Keyflower doesn’t need expansion to be perfect. I had Farmers & Merchants but sold them both and bought Keyper. It’s a great game, different from Keyflower and lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I love Keyflower and like the expansions. But I'd suggest you get a new game before the expansions. Keyper is good and different enough from Keyflower to have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo what others have said. I own both KF expansions, but have never played them, primarily because KF is perfect as is (though I do use some mini-expansion tiles).

Keyper is a terrific game, and I suspect you'll get more out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly if Keyflower is your favorite game and you play it a lot, I think the expansions are a better option. I'd rather get more variety out of my favorite game than a new game any day. As others have said though, KF is great as is and while the expansions add some cool stuff, I don't think they are obvious to get, like some games (such as Mage Knight, Race For The Galaxy), nor are they game changers (Lords Of Waterdeep is IMHO not a good game without the expansion)

edit: I've played one of the two KF expansions and I see no need to play it without expansions again, except maybe in 2 player mode, because then it's tough to know what tiles will come out. (this was the Farmers expansion, which doesn't change much, so much as add more resources to get points off of. I have Merchants but haven't had a chance to play it yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

I'll give acquiring Keyper a serious look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ziemba
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olli,

I love Keyflower and was in your situation trying to decide. I finally tried Keyper a few weeks ago and thought it was ok. I decided I was more than happy to play my friend's copy when at his house but went out last week and acquired Keyflower Merchants for myself.

If you can't find a way to play someone else's copy before you purchase, I suggest reading the online reviews and/or session reports of both to help make the best decision you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.