Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If earth dragon moves the only figure of another player out of a province at the start of battle, is that player now out of the battle, or still in it?

I suspect that as the phrase is 'at the start of battle', rather than 'before a battle begins', that they are still in it, but I am not confident about that. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Houghton
Australia
flag msg tools
I think the battle still continues, as this happens at the start of the battle, not before the battle begins. Therefore the player who had his figure removed could still win thr battle if they add Ronin, or they take the Earth Dragon hostage and this was the only other player’s figure, and they win the tie with honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoughto123 wrote:
I think the battle still continues, as this happens at the start of the battle, not before the battle begins. Therefore the player who had his figure removed could still win thr battle if they add Ronin, or they take the Earth Dragon hostage and this was the only other player’s figure, and they win the tie with honor.

Yes, this was my interpretation.

Makes the earth dragon a lot less powerful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Houghton
Australia
flag msg tools
It doesn’t specify which figure you push out, so i think it’s main use is moving monsters out of the battle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoughto123 wrote:
It doesn’t specify which figure you push out, so i think it’s main use is moving monsters out of the battle

or daimyo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco cenni
msg tools
No Daimyo, only shinto, bushi o montster

pag.6 "Daimyo – This is the leader of your forces and your most reliable figure. It cannot be taken Hostage by other players and cannot be removed from the Map by a Betray action. It is also immune to other special effects, such as a Monster’s ability to automatically kill a figure.

All special effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marko980 wrote:
No Daimyo, only shinto, bushi o montster

pag.6 "Daimyo – This is the leader of your forces and your most reliable figure. It cannot be taken Hostage by other players and cannot be removed from the Map by a Betray action. It is also immune to other special effects, such as a Monster’s ability to automatically kill a figure.

All special effects

Aha! Yes, I had a feeling there was something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you had at least 1 figure present when a battle is initiated in a privence, you get to participate.
So if yout lone figire is captuted or moved etc. You can still bid on ronin or poets or whatever you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
As long as you had at least 1 figure present when a battle is initiated in a privence, you get to participate.
So if yout lone figire is captuted or moved etc. You can still bid on ronin or poets or whatever you want.

Indeed. The slight ambiguity came in the phrase 'at the start of battle'. Has it been initiated at that point or not? It would seem that we all agree that it has been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Indeed. The slight ambiguity came in the phrase 'at the start of battle'. Has it been initiated at that point or not? It would seem that we all agree that it has been.

Yep. They should have added a caviot in the rulebook that says, "once a battle is declared in a provence, a player still is considered present, even if all their figures are removed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

You can't have something happen "at the start of battle" and then not have a battle.
If there's no battle then you should not have been able to use an "at start of battle" ability, which means the figure would should be in the province, which means you would have a battle and push it out of the province, which means there's no battle...
In order to avoid paradoxes the battle still occurs, the player pushed out is still a participant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Badger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
MrMT wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Yep. They should have added a caviot in the rulebook that says, "once a battle is declared in a provence, a player still is considered present, even if all their figures are removed."

It's pretty much stated as such between the following two examples.

On page 22, under Seppuku:
"Note that the player is still in the Battle, even if they no
longer have any figures in the Province."

Also on page 23, under Battle Outcome:
"NOTE: If, at the end of a Battle, no players have any Force left in the
Province, the player with the highest Honor wins"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omninom wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
MrMT wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

It's pretty much stated as such between the following two examples.

On page 22, under Seppuku:
"Note that the player is still in the Battle, even if they no
longer have any figures in the Province."

Also on page 23, under Battle Outcome:
"NOTE: If, at the end of a Battle, no players have any Force left in the
Province, the player with the highest Honor wins"

Only if you assume that 'at the start of a battle' means that the battle has already commenced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
Only if you assume that 'at the start of a battle' means that the battle has already commenced.

I don't see any argument why this would not be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Platt

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Has anyone else found the earth dragon to be overpowered when it comes to moving other monsters? Seems broken that he can force out another monster who is more powerful than he.... especially since he is a spring monster and can do this repeatedly. We houseruled it to stipulate that he can move a figure of equal or lesser power, but I may be missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a stiff debate in a game because the earth dragon owner was convinced that it should be able to force the daimyo to move because the daimyo is a figure and the card says "a figure." I showed the "and other special effects" rule pertaining to daimyos but that didn't end the debate. No consensus was reached.

It would be nice to have something more explicit in the rules or FAQ to point to that an earth dragon can't force out a daimyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HopRodRye34 wrote:
We had a stiff debate in a game because the earth dragon owner was convinced that it should be able to force the daimyo to move because the daimyo is a figure and the card says "a figure." I showed the "and other special effects" rule pertaining to daimyos but that didn't end the debate. No consensus was reached.

It would be nice to have something more explicit in the rules or FAQ to point to that an earth dragon can't force out a daimyo.

The FAQ was specific that effects which target a figure don’t affect daimyou, only effects which target a player or every player. That should be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HopRodRye34 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the FAQ specifically called out the earth dragon (the first FAQ at least)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
Then, what about in case of the snake lady? Say she goes from kyushu to hokkaido.
Does the owner of snake lady still have a fight/war ini kyushu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.