Popular Tags: [View All]
Prince AJ
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to create a Board Game Olympics for my game group. I'd like it to have a bunch of different events that take place over a series of meetings. The question is what should those events be?

I'd like to have at least 5 events so we can do a Pentathlon. So what is the Pentathlon of board gaming?

My current idea is that there would be a number of game categories that you guys would supply for me here. Our game group would vote for our favorite game in each of those categories, and that game would be the event. Maybe pick 2 games and do a preliminary round with the runner up and a finals with the favorite.

My group is about 20 experienced gamers who meet fortnightly. We also already have teams within the group based on what color everyone prefers to play, and I like the idea of using those as nations.

If you have any ideas about how I should organize such a thing I'd like to hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of a Pentathlon testing how well-rounded a competitor's skills are I would suggest dividing games into categories based on skill required to succeed e.g.

Bluffing/social games
Strategy games
Physical/dexterity games
Maybe luck games for fun?

Then use a standard points system to pick an overall winner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun for the participants....I'd hate to be the one keeping stats & organizing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Stone
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These fortnightly meetings, do they happen on a friday perchance?

This is an awesome idea, I wish I could be there.

I think it should be scoring based. Like each "sport" (deck building, bluffing, worker placement, etc) should be it's own set of 2-4 games and then your score for the event is based on a combination of those scores. Then you could give out medals for each event and skip giving out a cumulative medal for the whole thing(mostly because you already have a "tournament of champions", if you ran the pentathlon like a tournament it would be just another one of the same thing). This would also allow players that get good scores consistently but don't win a chance to shine

You could also define sports by designer, theme, player count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Euro: The Colonists
Diplomatic: Mega Civ
Economic: 1822
Strategic: Virgin Queen
Ameritrash: Twilight Imperium 4th Edition

The olympics are supposed to be the peak of performance and endurance right? Whoever survives* the entire event is the winner!

*I would love to play all of these, but not back to back and probably also not in this order if I had to lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.