Subject: Board games for book lovers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JordsAU
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was listening to the ABC's Radio National this morning and there was a piece on literary board games.

According to Lauren from The Games Shop, Melbourne (Australia), Harry Potter and 221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game were the most popular over the holiday period. A Game of Thrones and Marrying Mr Darcy (the Pride and Prejudice Card Game) are also considered favourites. Do you agree with this list?

Board game developer Andy Kopas from King Post Productions was also interviewed, discussing their game, based on the literary classic, Moby Dick.

If you're interested in listening to the full segment, here's a link: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/the-book-hub/th.... The part on board games starts at 41:00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they mention the 6.023x10^23 games based on Lovecraft?

Also worth mentioning is Starship Troopers where Heinlein actually wrote the blurb for the back of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JordsAU
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Did they mention the 6.023x10^23 games based on Lovecraft?

They did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, was there mention of the recent Ex Libris, for the true bibliophiles who simply enjoy organising their library
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get hives every time Harry Potter is mentioned in conjunction with boardames, 99% of the time they mean the films not the books. (I'm looking at you, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle...)

Bit surprised by the mention of 221B Baker Street instead of more popular/recent SH titles (maybe it's an Australian thing?) that said it's a fairly popular theme and there's several good SH games.

As a bibliophile I've been meaning to check out Discworld: Ankh-Morpork as it's supposed to be quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Bit surprised by the mention of 221B Baker Street instead of more popular/recent SH titles (maybe it's an Australian thing?)

Agreed, surely SH:Consulting Detective is the go-to SH game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Terry Pratchett fan I find Discworld: Ankh-Morpork enjoyable. Nice balance of story characters and game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
Bit surprised by the mention of 221B Baker Street instead of more popular/recent SH titles (maybe it's an Australian thing?)

Agreed, surely SH:Consulting Detective is the go-to SH game?

It's certainly mine. And I'm an Ausssie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove (which was designed on comission by the Wilder estate) really is "Little House On The Prairie" in a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Swarm Haven't read the book but the box says it is based on a novel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Consulting Detective is the bigger game amongst the geek audiences, but in the UK, 221b is the Holmes game I’ve always see crop up in more mainstream retailers. It was certainly in our John Lewis branch again this Christmas. (With the rest of the display being a mix of mass market and the bigger gateways like Pandemic and Ticket to Ride)
So I suspect more people have heard of 221b.

Seeing as we’re playing suggest good games based on books- what about The Pillars of the Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 7 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken Follet's Kingsbridge series has inspired some great games:

The Pillars of the Earth (also The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel)
World Without End
A Column of Fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Nemo's War (second edition) did an excellent job of capturing the spirit of the book (as well as being a mighty-fine game in and of itself!)

Middle-earth and Lord of the Rings are great interactive recreations of Tolkien's work. The games are definitely based on the books rather than the films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not going to get recommended by game store owners in Australia, but Fowers Paperback and Hardback immediately come to mind. Sure, they are word-building games but the illustrations of books by "Paige Turner" and "Penelope Quill" are just fantastic, as are the game boxes that are designed to look like books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jules Verne:

Nemo's War (second edition)
Michael Strogoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Karlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Have you guys seen Stuffed Fables?

Seems like a cool concept on this topic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Bring Your Own Book?

A game like Cards Against Humanity where you use books (or anything in print, for that matter) as the source for your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
Some older games: Dragonriders of Pern; Xanth the Boardgame; a large number of Middle Earth games. There are also lots of relatively new games based on the Lord of the Rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the upcoming game based on Brandon Sanderson's 'Reckoners' books: The Reckoners

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nashville
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second The Pillars of the Earth and Nemo's War.

Also Robinson Crusoe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised Tak hasn't been mentioned.
As a fictional game in a novel that was turned into a real game it seems perfect for the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elaine Winifred

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
I am surprised Tak hasn't been mentioned.
As a fictional game in a novel that was turned into a real game it seems perfect for the theme.

Agreed. Tak was the first board game that came to mind. You can actually play the game the characters in the book (The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss) play! I own Marrying Mr. Darcy, which tends to draw a smile from fans of the book when played due to the references to the events in the book. In terms of fandom it delivers amusement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:
Probably not going to get recommended by game store owners in Australia, but Fowers Paperback and Hardback immediately come to mind. Sure, they are word-building games but the illustrations of books by "Paige Turner" and "Penelope Quill" are just fantastic, as are the game boxes that are designed to look like books.

And even as I type am looking at my copies of Hardback and Paperback: Unabridged which finally arrived.

I love all of the new Paige Turner titles in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone already have mentioned Biblios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirth123 wrote:
As a Terry Pratchett fan I find Discworld: Ankh-Morpork enjoyable. Nice balance of story characters and game play.

It's a great game and the only Martin Wallace game I would play however good luck finding it or any of the discworld games as they're all OOP and can't be reprinted due to Pratchett's death altering the licensing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.