Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reveal X cards (Hunted by Byakhee) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Waldner
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
How does the Hunted by Byakhee card work? It says...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Revelation - Test (6). If you fail, reveal the top X cards of the encounter deck, where X is the amount you failed by. If at least 1 Byakhee enemy is revealed by this effect, choose and draw 1 of them. If at least 1 Omen treachery is revealed by this effect, take 1 horror. Shuffle the encounter deck.

If I have to "reveal" cards from the encounter deck, do I have to resolve all Revelation effects of the revealed treacheries? Or do I only have to resolve reveal effects when I am instructed to "draw" the card?

In other words, is this card supposed to
a) possibly bring a Byakhee into play and/or cause 1 horror
or
b) do all the above but also add a threatening amount of other treachery cards on top of it

I ask because I drew an automatic fail on my test, which caused 1 byakhee to appear along with 1 horror but also 5 dangerous treachery effects to resolve. That would be a quite horrible amount of strength coming from only one card, especially since the skill check is pretty high with 6

Usually cards like these let you "discard X cards" from the encounter deck rather than reveal them, so there has to be a purpose behind it.
If something tells me to "reveal" a card, semantically it tells me that I should resolve the reveal effect immediately, on the other hand, the rulebook kindof says that I have to apply these effects when I "draw" the card from the encounter deck. Is there a clear distinction between these two terms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the name, revealing a card does not trigger its revelation ability. Revelation abilities are triggered on drawing cards. Drawing and revealing are definitely different: revealing cards just involves looking at the card, while drawing a card adds it to your hand/putting it into play in some form.

Hunted by a Byakhee should just give you a Byakhee and/or 1 horror, not potentially act like 6 mythos turns in one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you draw a card, you do everything that the card says.

When you reveal a card, you just show to everyone what it is, and then some other card´s effect happens based on a trait, keyword, etc on the revealed card.

TheSil wrote:
In other words, is this card supposed to
a) possibly bring a Byakhee into play and/or cause 1 horror

This.

TheSil wrote:
Usually cards like these let you "discard X cards" from the encounter deck rather than reveal them, so there has to be a purpose behind it.

Effects that just discard cards don´t care exactly which cards get discarded. Reveal effects do.
edit: I was wrong, sorry. See below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Teeka wrote:
Effects that just discard cards don´t care exactly which cards get discarded. Reveal effects do.

This isn't true. Discard effects can check the qualities of the discarded cards just as easily reveal effects can check the quality of revealed cards.

We have effects that both discard cards and tell you to stop based on what you discard, as well as discard effects that check for discarded cards that match another card by title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Waldner
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good to have this confirmed, would have been crazy otherwise.

So basically the only reason why the card lets you reveal instead of discard is that all other cards stay in the draw pile instead of being cycled through the discard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.