Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That title is a mouthful, I know.

Another thread on The Russian Campaign made me realize that's a game I had missed, and which I will probably pre-order. I guess I was too quick to dismiss it when it was put on P500. I tend to expect such games to be high complexity and/or monsters. But now I see that it might be exactly the kind of game I like to play solo, and it has the right complexity. It made me wonder what other low-to-medium complexity hex'n counter classics I might have missed. Let's say we restrict it to games which are popular enough to be ranked among the top 500 wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS:

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 (25th Anniversary Edition) is a reprint/re-design/upgrade of Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965. Worth checking out imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Silver Bayonet currently, but my first choice is Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939.

The string of turorial scenarios (and language in the rulebook) makes learning it a breeze.

A cold, snowy breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cradleofmilk wrote:
Playing Silver Bayonet currently, but my first choice is Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939.

The string of turorial scenarios (and language in the rulebook) makes learning it a breeze.

A cold, snowy breeze.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
A Victory Lost

A Victory Lost

Great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play relatively few traditional hex and counter games at this point. That said, I would second recommendations for Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 and A Victory Lost, and would add No Retreat! The Russian Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
I play relatively few traditional hex and counter games at this point. That said, I would second recommendations for Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 and A Victory Lost, and would add No Retreat! The Russian Front.

Those are all excellent suggestions. I already own them (although I haven't tried No Retreat yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tornio '44 by Miku games is all that and not the most common theatre either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isnt there a geek list for this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lindsay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Napolean's Last Battles https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4230/napoleons-last-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D.
United States
flag msg tools
Sola Fide.
badge
Remembering the men of the USS Frank E. Evans.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some small publishers worth seeking out who specialize in this type of game, such as Tiny Battle Publishing. Prices are generally cheaper, too, which is a nice bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TRC isn't even a monster, it is a one mapper with a relatively modest counter mix and 2 month game turns.

Classic playable monsters -

Terrible Swift Sword / Gleam of Bayonets
Wellington's Victory (OK a bit less playable before modding)
Leipzig Battle of Nations (simple, but use Schumpter's variant rules)
Wacht Am Rhein, Operation Typhoon (different battles, same system)
War in the East, Drang Nach Osten (same battle, different systems)
Hell's Highway (moderate scale)
Drive on Stalingrad (moderate scale)
Stalingrad Pocket 2nd Edition (moderate scale SCS)
Vietnam (Victory Games, long in time)

more recent examples -

The Mighty Endeavor (SCS division level, moderate scale)
It Never Snows / Day of Days (SCS company level)
GMTs Barbarossa series, any title
Caesar at Alesia (Great Battles of History mini-monster)

Sorry, I misread the title and thought you were asking for playable monster scale games, where the monster-ness comes from size but not from system complexity. You want *non* monster and non complex hex and counter wargames, yes?

A Victory Lost seconded. TRC sure.
France '40, Ukraine '43, Normandy '44, Holland '44, Ardennes '44
(Simonitch "year games" for short - also add the Caucasus Campaign).
Napoleon's Last Battles using Schumpter system.
Russia Besieged
Smaller SCS titles e.g. Afrika II, Crusader, Panzer Battles.
Panzergruppe Guderian (or Kiev, other 1 mappers in that series)
Glory series (US civil war)
simple Great Battles of History (many titles, many small)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not exactly "classics", but most of the offerings from Revolution Games fit you requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimboThulu61 wrote:
They're not exactly "classics", but most of the offerings from Revolution Games fit you requirements.

I think Battles of the Bulge: Celles especially from that stable is approaching classic status considering its wide appeal on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I am not sure if my game Celles is a "classic" as its only from 2012 but I do appreciate the kind words and at #373 is in the top 500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for No Retreat! The Russian Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stumptner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of hex and counter's that intrigue me:

- The No Retreat series does look good; I'd probably try No Retreat! Italian Front: 1943-45
- I've been eyeballing all of the Hollandspiele line for a while. One (of many that looks interesting is Teutons!: Assaults on the West, 1870-1940; love the AH-classic emulating cover graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGRAYDAY wrote:

Existing Geek Lists don't jack up new topic clicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep your eye out for these "Designer Signature Editions." Such games have stood the test of time and they are republished for a reason. Here's a short list:

Beda Fomm -- a re-release of the old GDW classic with better graphics. Quite the puzzle and plays wonderfully solo if that's what you want to do.

Bitter Woods: Designer Edition -- think of this as the "fifth edition." Need I say more? This wargame has legs. LONG legs!

The African Campaign: Designer Signature Edition -- the original was great and this version is even better! Compass Games added just a few variants, kind of like putting salt in this already terrific soup. Yes, you can play it solo as well!

Red Star/White Eagle: The Russo-Polish War, 1920 – Designer Signature Edition -- Yes, it's got two maps but not that many counters and it plays really fast. IMHO this was GDW's best wargame ever, and that is saying something given all the other titles this company produced. Try this new version; you'll love it.

Keep an eye out for the re-release of Russia Besieged: Deluxe Edition since that is a small step up from The Russian Campaign: Designer Signature Edition; there's a lot that feels the same but adds just a few small things. Definitely should be a contender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
Red Star/White Eagle: The Russo-Polish War, 1920 – Designer Signature Edition -- Yes, it's got two maps but not that many counters and it plays really fast. IMHO this was GDW's best wargame ever, and that is saying something given all the other titles this company produced. Try this new version; you'll love it.

I'm OK with two maps. It's really the number of counters (and especially when it's high counter density) which kills true monster games for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, there were several in your post I will look out for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
AGRAYDAY wrote:

Existing Geek Lists don't jack up new topic clicks.

I didn't know there was anything to be gained from that, but thanks anyway, for giving me one more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:

A Victory Lost seconded. TRC sure.
France '40, Ukraine '43, Normandy '44, Holland '44, Ardennes '44
(Simonitch "year games" for short - also add the Caucasus Campaign).
Napoleon's Last Battles using Schumpter system.
Russia Besieged
Smaller SCS titles e.g. Afrika II, Crusader, Panzer Battles.
Panzergruppe Guderian (or Kiev, other 1 mappers in that series)
Glory series (US civil war)
simple Great Battles of History (many titles, many small)

The ones on this list which I've played personally -- A Victory Lost, The Russian Campaign and the Simonitch games, except for Holland '44, which I haven't played -- I would agree with. They're all classic, and you just couldn't go wrong with any of them. One game I would add is one which you already own: Liberty Roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
JimboThulu61 wrote:

I think Battles of the Bulge: Celles especially from that stable is approaching classic status considering its wide appeal on this site.

That's another good suggestion, and one which is cheap enough to order right away, which I just did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.