BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: NEW DESIGNER rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Griffen
msg tools
mbmbmb
Evening Gamers,

My name is Ryan and I'm actually a writer wanting to dabble in game design and wanted to reach out the BGG community on where I should start.

Would love links to podcasts, vlogs, fellow designer and publishers that I could start gleaning from.

I'm a huge gamer and this is just another dream I would love to tick off my list.

Cheers
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there something specific about game design that interests you? There is such a plethora of resources that it may help to funnel your attention towards a particular area rather than bombarding you with general answers.

At the very least, if you want to know how to transition from writing to game design, I would thoroughly read through all the threads pinned in the Board Game Design forum. I would especially look at the crash course in game design.

I also think this is a very enlightening read:

http://www.big-game-theory.com/2014/06/Schools-of-Design.htm...

It discusses different genres of games and their schools of design. It made me look at my choices as a game designer and also the games I like to play, and kind of provide a reasoning as to why I gravitated towards those games. It's not official or anything, but I think it's a good read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Ryan,

Foremost, ask yourself why you want to design a game -- I find the answer usually falls into one of three categories, as follows:

1. To get games published and "out in the world" -- perhaps as a career, perhaps for "bragging rights"
2. To make games for you and your friends to play (and maybe their friends as well)
3. To tick a box on a Hemingway-esque list (me, I've planted a tree and written a book -- but no way I'm fighting a bull!)

The further down the list you go, the less diligent and ardent you must be.

A relatively recent publication I recommend to those investigating the possibility of becoming a game designer is "The White Box Essays" by Jeremy Holcomb, a professor at DigiPen Institute of Technology (teaching game design, and not just digital!) The eBook is $7.99 on Amazon, Warehouse 23, or DriveThruRPG. It's a super-affordable way to investigate the field, and receive solid information. More info: http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG2903.php

Disclaimer: I've known Jeremy for several years, and also teach game design at DigiPen. Even if neither were true, I would still fully recommend the book.

I also like The Kobold Guide to Board Game Design ($9.99 eBook) as a first text for would-be designers.

The reason I recommend a single (and reasonably-priced) eBook over multitudes of podcasts, vlogs, etc. is that it avoids overlap and is generally presented in a coherent order. Eight or ten bucks for an instantly-delivered single-source you can digest in 2-4 hours -- to my mind -- beats hopping around between sources for considerably more hours trying to cover the same ground (and at an equally top-notch level of expertise).

Welcome to the world of board game design -- I hope you enjoy it and stay! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

As a fellow writer enjoying the sweet sweet distraction of board game design dabbling, welcome to the club. Have some coins to help you on your adventure.

Aside from reading, there are a couple of other threads here pointing you towards podcasts or YouTube channels that I tune into whenever I'm in the metro. (I find it hard to read while moving).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hurn
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Ludology podcast and the Board Game Design Lab podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toon_ace wrote:
Hello Ryan,

Foremost, ask yourself why you want to design a game -- I find the answer usually falls into one of three categories, as follows:

1. To get games published and "out in the world" -- perhaps as a career, perhaps for "bragging rights"
2. To make games for you and your friends to play (and maybe their friends as well)
3. To tick a box on a Hemingway-esque list (me, I've planted a tree and written a book -- but no way I'm fighting a bull!)

My reason is "I get ideas and will go mad if I don't put them on paper and use them"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hoffman

Van Wert
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Stephen, I listen to both the Ludology and Board Game Design Lab podcasts. And on the BGDL website, you can find even more resources. Gabe has a TON of links to various board game-related info. It really helped me get my focus and dig into designing. Here's a link: http://www.boardgamedesignlab.com/specific-topics/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey Stegmaier has some great resources on his blog. Many posts are about kickstarter, but some of his posts on design and entrepreneurship are extremely informative and helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Griffen
msg tools
mbmbmb
What an amazing start!

Thanks for all your help everyone. What I'm seeing is that the design community is more like a big family than competitors. I'm going to enjoy this place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Pite
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for writers procrastinating through board game design. In my experience you should be working along the following lines:

Step 1: write a load of rules that sound amazing.
Step 2: make a crap prototype of your game.
Step 3: play your game by yourself and despair at how broken it is.
Step 4: write a load more rules that sound amazing.
Step 5: repeat steps 2 and 3.
Step 6: repeat step 4.
Step 7: repeat steps 5 and 6.
Step 8: order a bunch of components you need online, then change your rules again so you don't need half of what you ordered by the time it all arrives.
Step 9: repeat step 7.
Step 10: write the hundredth draft of your rulebook and wonder how you got there.
Step 11: playtest your game with other people if only because you really need human interaction to keep yourself sane.
Step 12: anyone in Berlin wanna playtest my game?

Note that this is just a guide and by no means a concrete method of designing the most incredible game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Day West Games
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
publisher
Welcome aboard. The community is awesome and is always very helpful.

One suggestion, that we used for our games, are good prototyping pieces and components. This is after you've worked the bugs out on home made playing cards and poster board game boards. If your looking for some neat pieces to create a game, check out https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

They have a ton of components and you can make a single copy of your game when you are ready. There is a live chat forum with a lot of knowledgeable people if you have any questions on the site too.

Best of luck on your adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.