Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Smith
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule for buying goods states:

'Ship purchasing and Goods purchasing give what they purchase to the Director of Trade. The Military Affairs Office assigns the purchased goods to any of the presidency armies'

Just to clear up this means the goods go to the director of trade but the military office gets first dibs on his stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I got your question right but no, both are two different boxes.

Goods purchasing and ship purchasing place their goods and ships to the Director of Trade office.

Military affairs buys goods on its own and assigns it directly to the presidencies.

After that the Director of Trade assigns any ships/goods to the presidencies and sells more ships to the players.

Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "goods" that Military Affairs buys are guns. (They are bought from the same set of factories and at the same price and are represented by the same brown cylinders as trade goods, but they have an entirely different game function.) As the logistics action, Military Affairs must assign all guns and officers in the office to armies (and only armies) in the presidencies. It isn't a matter of "first dibs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Charles Stoddart (artwork from Pax Pamir 2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
The "goods" that Military Affairs buys are guns. (They are bought from the same set of factories and at the same price and are represented by the same brown cylinders as trade goods, but they have an entirely different game function.) As the logistics action, Military Affairs must assign all guns and officers in the office to armies (and only armies) in the presidencies. It isn't a matter of "first dibs."

This is correct. Your first two actions, buying ships from the shipyard and goods from factories are sent to Director of Trade. The third action of military affairs buys guns from factories and then assigns all of those purchased guns and any officers who have graduated from the academy (the holding box) into Presidential armies while the Director of Trade assigns the goods from action 2, and ships from action 1 (and only *then* offers Captains an opportunity to buy a ship) into Presidential armies. The Director of Trade may also move goods/ships around in Presidencies (and China if applicable) only if consent of all Presidents is acquired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
... the Director of Trade assigns the goods from action 2, and ships from action 1 (and only *then* offers Captains an opportunity to buy a ship) into Presidential armies. The Director of Trade may also move goods/ships around in Presidencies (and China if applicable) only if consent of all Presidents is acquired.
Rule F6 says that the Director of Trade first offers each captain (in any order) the opportunity to buy a ship and then assigns all goods and ships to presidencies (not presidential armies, which only get officers and guns from Military Affairs). Also, note that the Superintendent of Trade with China may only receive ships, never goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty embarrassing I had the game setup and was running through the rules, I had some cubes scattered across the board partially covering the military affairs box and only saw the logistics action...

also thank you everyone for your quick clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Director of Military Affairs, remember you can negotiate with other players where those guns go (perhaps getting some money or a Promise cube from another player in order for you to funnel those guns to a specific Presidency to help with their planned Campaigns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Director of Trade may also move goods/ships around in Presidencies (and China if applicable) only if consent of all Presidents is acquired.

Is this the reading of F6, which states resource can be moved from one
Presidency to another, then goes on to refer to getting the President's permission in the singular, rather than Preidents' permissions.

Just want to make sure it's not meant to be moving from one to one other. I can see how it'd be read either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need the permission of the President you are taking ships and goods FROM, not the one you are giving them TO. Same with the Military Logistics action for Guns.

That's why it's owning President's, rather than Presidents'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep understood in terms of permission being the giving presidency, but the rules state:

The director of trade may also transfer ships and goods from ONE presidency to another with the owning president's permission.

My emphasis on ONE.

Doesn't say between one or more with owning presidents' permissions.

So is it right that stuff can be moved all around between multiple presidencies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slim Chalkey wrote:
The director of trade may also transfer ships and goods from ONE presidency to another with the owning president's permission.

My emphasis on ONE.

I think this is a phrasing issue more than anything. It doesn't explicitly say that he can't do this multiple times. This is similar to the army logistics stating that AN officer is replaced if all are full (if it is full at the start of the action and there are three officers available...all starting officers are replaced, not just one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only just got the game, but surely the 'one' referred to here is 'one' as in 'a' and not '1'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingulphus wrote:
Only just got the game, but surely the 'one' refereed to there is 'one' as in 'a' and not '1'?

I think so, but it IS ambiguous, so an official ruling would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree that it's likely a multiple time thing and will play like that until told otherwise 😀.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
One means one.

You only get a single transfer per logistics action from one presidency to another. Only the permission of the player losing the material transferred is required.

I have updated the faq with this question. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.