Subject: When is 18CZ supposed to take place in time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a brief scan through the rules but didn't find any historical notes or mention of the time period of when 18CZ is supposedly taking place. Is there an actual time-frame that it is supposedly set in, or is it just "loosely in the 1800s".

I like a little bit of history in my 18XX games, apparently, didn't realize that until now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question!

Here's a good site - although in German: http://www.oberegger2.org/enzyklopaedie/tschechien.htm

According to this, the first train was horse-drawn and served Budweis (C.Budejovice) and Urfahr near Linz.

1838 started the „Prag-Lanaer-Pferde-Eisenbahn“ from Prag to the banks of the Klicava River.

And 1840 came the „Kaiser Ferdinands-Nordbahn“, running from Vienna to Prague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Stastny
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a historical commentary in the Czech version of the rules, I am surprised that it would be missing from the English ones.

It does not say exactly when the game takes place but it says that the main development of railways occured during 1866 till 1878. However the local railroad companies where founded between 1895 and 1910.

In my understanding the game is not that well anchored in any timeframe because it begins with all the local railroads available and then a bit later you can only create bigger companies (which in reality were founded some 30-40 years before the locals).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.