Subject: empty draw pile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Linke
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mb
hi, what happens when the draw pile is empty? presumably you shuffle the discard pile and this becomes the new draw pile. aren't there only special cards in the discard pile as all group cards go into the dead pile and will not come back unless by a special effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I can't find an answer in the rules, but I would say that you do shuffle the discards and keep drawing. You won't get any more groups, but all the groups are out there anyway, mostly in the Uncontrolled area, so you should have plenty. My memory tells me that this is a rare occurrence, but can happen. Future draws will be all (nearly all? can't remember) Special cards, but at this point in the game you need that.

Also, if you're playing all the way through the deck you are ready for an expansion, or another expansion. More cards means they won't run out before someone controls the world!

It's also likely that either A) someone should have been able to win, maybe the won and didn't notice, maybe they missed an opportunity, or B) you are all playing fairly well. Most likely it's the latter, so congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Linke
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mb
thanks for your answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andreas

Yes, the rule book doesn't elaborate on what happens in this case. I would go with the suggestion from Andrew as well, just shuffle the discard pile and keep drawing from it...

Bjorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fallawayde wrote:
hi, what happens when the draw pile is empty? presumably you shuffle the discard pile and this becomes the new draw pile. aren't there only special cards in the discard pile as all group cards go into the dead pile and will not come back unless by a special effect?

The only cards in the discard pile would be special cards therefore I would not reshuffle those to use as a draw pile since everyone would be getting special cards. I would simply play on without drawing any more cards.

On a side note, I've played this game alot (especially in the 90s) and never even came close to using up the entire draw pile. Under what circumstances did the draw deck get used up? There are ~95 cards, you start with about 4 cards on the table, so that means you've got about 90 turns of game play (a bit less if you're playing with the Network). A game should never last much more than 30-50 turns. That also assuming you don't play with the expansions which adds quite a few cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.