the end of regroup, occupation limits must be obeyed
in all affected areas.

Design Note: It’s possible for a side to be eligible for
regroup and yet not be able to remain in the target
area, i.e., an air/naval operation against an enemy
land area. In that case the regroup just allows units to
return to friendly ports and airfields.
Land units regroup by moving from the target area to
any adjacent friendly land or mixed areas, or vice versa.
Minor armies, fortress units, and logistics units may not
regroup.

Air and naval units regroup by moving from the target
area to any friendly ports or airfields within range (including
within extended range, if declared at the start of the
operation), or vice versa.

So this doesn't make sense to me. There does not appear to be any definition of "eligible" units, unless it's the section that says "Land Units regroup by moving from the target area.... which implies that only land units in the target area are eligible to regroup (except minor armies, fortress units, and logistics units).

It also says Air and Naval units regroup by moving from the target area....

So what I glean from this is that after combat, if your side is eligible for regrouping, the only units allowed to regroup are ones who wound up in the target area.

Yet later on there is an example in the rulebook involving Case White (attack on Poland):

Quote:
Germany is eligible to regroup, so they move their infantry
army from Poland into Czechoslovakia, which is adjacent
and friendly controlled (having a German cube). The German
tank army remains in Poland. The German air force
moves to Silesia, although it could remain in Poland, which
is now a friendly airfield. A German air force in Czechoslovakia
could regroup into Poland, even though it did not
support the combat.

This doesn't appear to adhere to the rules stated above. How can a unit in Czech regroup if it wasn't in the target area (Poland)? Does this imply that every land/air unit could teleport to Poland and then regroup from there? Or only adjacent ones? Where does it list which units are eligible?

Can someone help me unpack this? what am I missing?

Edit: Further question: In this example WWII does not start with the attack on Poland because there is only a French Cube in Poland. A historical "guarantee" of Poland would be represented by moving a French/British Army into Poland before Germany attacks, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have copy of rules in front of me, but regroup is moving to/from the target area. So any unit that could move EITHER to or from the target area is eligible to regroup. Note that this is not /deploying/ (i.e. not unlimited), so the only land units that can regroup are ones in adjacent areas, same with tac air (I don't think extended range regrouping is allowed ... unless maybe extended range was used to reach the area? I'd have to check the wording in the section to be sure).

Historically, the 'guarantee' of Poland was that FR (or UK, as they were allied) played a Flag and declared war on Germany ... the flag being generated from the provocation of Germany attacking Poland.

-K

EDIT: Reading your quote of the rules above - yes, extended range is included if it was declared at the start of the Operation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:

Quote:
(SNIP)
Land units regroup by moving from the target area to
any adjacent friendly land or mixed areas, or vice versa.

Air and naval units regroup by moving from the target
area to any friendly ports or airfields within range (including
within extended range, if declared at the start of the
operation), or vice versa.

So this doesn't make sense to me. There does not appear to be any definition of "eligible" units, unless it's the section that says "Land Units regroup by moving from the target area.... which implies that only land units in the target area are eligible to regroup (except minor armies, fortress units, and logistics units).

It also says Air and Naval units regroup by moving from the target area....

You're missing the end of each phrase you quote... "or vice versa".

Quote:
Edit: Further question: In this example WWII does not start with the attack on Poland because there is only a French Cube in Poland. A historical "guarantee" of Poland would be represented by moving a French/British Army into Poland before Germany attacks, correct?

No, a French or British cube in Poland is a guarantee. As in history, it is up to France and/or the UK to actually declare war if Germany attacks Poland. In Historical Cataclysm, the only war declared by Germany was on the USSR by surprise attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, I missed the end of the sentane where it said "from the target area to....or vice versa

Sorry for the dumb questions

Ah, and yes, the flag part makes sense. So a historical order of operations would be:

Germany increases commitment to mobilization (allowing them to surprise attack and/or declare war). This causes Status Quo to be removed. France and UK would both then interrupt with flags (possibly flags generated from the increase in commitment?) and both successfully increase their commitment to mobilization also. Then Germany attacks Poland and France/UK are able to then use a political action to declare war, because they are both now at Mobilization.

This sound correct?

or perhaps the status quo was removed earlier due to the victory point of Italy/Germany being higher (France loses all cubes in Eastern Europe, UK loses Iraq, and the axis pick up Czech)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That roughly corresponds to our storyboard, yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.