Ray Price
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing the Worker phase by having everyone do all their worker assignments in parallel, and then going around the board and have each player activate all their assignments before moving on to the next player.

Caught a snippet of Mandi on the Dice Tower playing DI, and they were leaving all their workers at the top and assigning / activating in one action. They still had each player go through all their workers before moving on to the next player. So the biggest delta being no initial assignment step for all workers.

Rule book doesn't say one way or the other, so was curious how everyone else was playing the worker phase.

I prefer the assign all before activating since that leads you to land on a strategy before activating anything, and generally avoids "undos". Having each player do their activation's in turn also helps newer players validate their actions with everyone else to catch errors.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching new players in the first round of the game I will go first and do it step by step; assign a worker, resolve it. Assign another worker, resolve it etc etc. Then get the next player to do it, then the next etc

For round two I offer if people want to do the same thing again, but suggest going on to everyone doing it simultaneously but asking me questions if they have any issues or anything.

From then on we normally play simultaneously, however each player prefers (and the same for when playing with experienced players). I personally will assign a worker and resolve it, then do the next one. It allows me to work through what I want to do more easily, and can backtrack if I mess up. I know others who prefer to place them all out then resolve them all. I'm fine with my players doing either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent of the rules is for Phase 3 to happen simultaneously; i.e. all players assign and resolve their lab workers without waiting on the other players. How each player chooses to do it is up to them, other than a worker action must be resolved completely before resolving the next worker action.

Personally, I like to tip my lab workers over as I plan out my Lab Phase actions. Once I've confirmed I have enough workers to do what I want this round, I will place and resolve them one at a time. If a player prefers to place all of his lab workers out first and then resolve them, he should tip each worker over as he resolves that action so he can easily see which worker actions have been performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Price
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! Good to know.

Yeah, we use the place all upright, and then tip as resolved approach as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve done it both ways. I prefer, one at a time in turn order, but for game length reasons, simultaneous with individual resolution is likely the better solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
I’ve done it both ways. I prefer, one at a time in turn order, but for game length reasons, simultaneous with individual resolution is likely the better solution.

Simultaneous with resolving as you place them is the way it is intended to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.