The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: First time playing, couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riku Parkkonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
So I tackled the second scenario of the core set for the first time today and encountered couple of rule issues that I thought I'd check with you guys.

1. I snared the hill troll with Forest Snare. So the troll can't attack. Do I still deal out the shadow card and resolve it?

2. You can't complete the first quest card until the troll is dead. I got the required amount of progress tokens(I believe it was 8) on the card while the troll was still alive. I assume any extra tokens would simply be discarded(unless there's an active location), at least this is how I played it. Later I traveled to a location, got 1 token on it and THEN I killed the troll.

So now I had quest card with full tokens but also an active location. Since the troll is dead do I get to move to the next quest card even though there is an incomplete location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Since the hill troll doesn't attack, there is no shadow card dealt.

2. Extra progress tokens go on the current quest, but don't carry over or anything...but it's helpful because some cards remove progress tokens from the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Berry

Englishman in Amsterdam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Riku,

Welcome to the LOTR LCG community!

Poppis wrote:

1. I snared the hill troll with Forest Snare. So the troll can't attack. Do I still deal out the shadow card and resolve it?

2. You can't complete the first quest card until the troll is dead. I got the required amount of progress tokens(I believe it was 8) on the card while the troll was still alive. I assume any extra tokens would simply be discarded(unless there's an active location), at least this is how I played it. Later I traveled to a location, got 1 token on it and THEN I killed the troll.

So now I had quest card with full tokens but also an active location. Since the troll is dead do I get to move to the next quest card even though there is an incomplete location?

1. You do deal the shadow card, but that is all, you do not resolve it.

2. Keep adding progress tokens, you never know when you might lose them ;-)

You can move on to the next quest as soon as the Troll is defeated - your location remains active.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poppis wrote:

Yes, you deal it out, but no you do not resolve it - it has no effect since the Troll is snared. You always deal out a shadow card to each engaged enemy, even if an enemy is snared, or feinted, etc.

Poppis wrote:

Yes, you would advance as soon as the quest card conditions are met - 8 progress tokens and no Hill Trolls in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalmar Wingfeather wrote:

That's not correct. Each engaged enemy is dealt a shadow card, even if it's snared, feinted, etc. You just wouldn't resolve the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
uuneter wrote:
Kalmar Wingfeather wrote:

That's not correct. Each engaged enemy is dealt a shadow card, even if it's snared, feinted, etc. You just wouldn't resolve the effect.

Dang it! That means I've been playing wrong! Well, thanks for correcting me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Parkkonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick help! Nice to see you can just keep stacking those progress tokens on the quest. I did have some nasty orcs who started removing them in one of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Berry

Englishman in Amsterdam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hellboyberry wrote:

As a side note: One often over looked rule when just starting out is that you deal the shadow cards to the most "threatening" enemies first and then in order of decreasing threat.
This doesn't seem that important at first but later it will take away any doubt of "If only I had dealt that game ending shadow to the snared Troll I wouldn't be scooping the cards off the table and starting again!"
The deal order is set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hellboyberry wrote:
hellboyberry wrote:

As a side note: One often over looked rule when just starting out is that you deal the shadow cards to the most "threatening" enemies first and then in order of decreasing threat.
This doesn't seem that important at first but later it will take away any doubt of "If only I had dealt that game ending shadow to the snared Troll I wouldn't be scooping the cards off the table and starting again!"
The deal order is set.

Good point, particularly if you are near the bottom of the Encounter Deck. To be even more precise, Shadow Cards are dealt to enemies in player order (i.e. first to all enemies attacking the First Player, then all enemies attacking the next player...), from highest to lowest Engagement Cost for each player. If cards run out while dealing out Shadow Cards, the rest of the attackers don't get Shadow Cards at all. The discards are not reshuffled to populate the Encounter Deck until the next Quest Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.