Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Axis & Allies» Forums » General

Subject: Questions: booklet non sate-of-the-art... or am I a little dumb? ;-) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leone Fenzi
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is Coming
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions that came up yesterday evening in our first-time-ever game:

1) "opening fire" (subs & AA guns) is repeated in EVERY cycle of combat or just in the beginning?

2) subs can fire only at sea units: just for sneak attack or EVER (that is: in a sub-vs.-fighter, the sub should submerge QUICKLY 'cause it cannot ever retun fire?)?

3) when a sub submerges [sorry...], in sub's owner next turn is it mandatory that he attacks enemy units present or may he just get away?

4) newly bought sea units placed in an enemy-occupied sea space MUST fight in the next turn (if enemy units are still there)?

5) cargo-fighters that defend a carrier are "passive" (i.e. they can only absorb hits) or "active" (they roll for defense)?

Thank you...
Leo.

P.S.: don't you think that there are too few units, especially complexes and AA guns? They ran out VERY quickly in our game yesterday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Questions: booklet non sate-of-the-art... or am I a little dumb? ;-)
Jon Snow (#32002),

1)AA guns only get to fire once and then they're done. I believe subs get the opening fire only during the first round (surprise attack). We really don't buy any subs in my group. The new rules might change that (once we get accustomed to them).

2)Subs can only cause casualties to sea units.

3)A sub could submerge again or move away during combat move (there's a new rule that lets you move out of combat during the combat move phase if you started the turn already in combat).

4)See 3).

5)Fighters get involved in the defense of their carrier.

I don't think that the unit pieces are too few in number. With any combat unit you can use the chips to represent multiples of the same type (it's designed that way) and with AA guns and complexes it's purposefully done. In most games I've played (I've been playing since the first MB edition came out) nobody really goes for more AA guns and complexes don't get bought much because there are few really good places to play them, once you get the general strategies down. In general, they only places you see additional complexes being bought are areas in Asia, so that the Japanese or United States can produce land units there, the Russians and Brits can produce sea/air units there. Any additional complexes that Germany might want are usually acquired through conquest. Complexes are fairly expensive items and if you place too many you'll end up losing them. Just pick a strategic location and produce tanks, planes and sea units from them and you'll see that you'll never have a problem with running out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re:Questions: booklet non sate-of-the-art... or am I a little dumb? ;-)
n815e (#32018),
1) Subs do continue to make their *Special* 'Attack', it is conducted during the 'Opening Fire' in subsequent rounds and it is at this time that they could 'Submerge'. Once they do 'Submerge', then for all intents and purposes, they're 'out of the battle' for the rest of that Player's turn. NOTE: The other Players that have not conducted their turns yet can still 'Combat' with the 'Subs' on their respective turns. Also note the interaction when a 'Destroyer' is involved.

5) Fighters belonging to the player that 'owns' the carrier they are on, can be involved in an 'Attack', any others are considered to be 'Cargo'. Any Fighters, no matter who they belong to, can always 'Defend' the carrier they are on.

Check out the A-H 'A&A' website, there is quite a bit of things going on and 'New' stuff is cropping up everyday.

http://www.avalonhill.com/default.asp?x=games/axis

For those without the game, there is a 'Demo' on the 'Home' link if you want to check it out. When you click on the above 'link', go to the 'Community' and check out 'Todays Active Topics', good luck and good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.