Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I defeated the L2 Butcher. If I select Axe specialization for a survivor per the aftermath, does he get the mentioned 2 axe proficiency levels, although he didnt wound with an axe?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
No for two different reasons.

1) you must have chosen weapon type before getting to the aftermath to be eligible
2) you must wound with that weapon type to be eligible

Both must be true at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
No for two different reasons.

1) you must have chosen weapon type before getting to the aftermath to be eligible
2) you must wound with that weapon type to be eligible

Both must be true at the same time.

The butcher aftermath specifically mentions you can choose axe proficiency just after winning and before rewards. This is why I am asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post a small small section of the text? I can't for the life of me remember this in 1.5, and I am positive that 1.31 had nothing like that - and I'm definitely far from my game.

Just the relevant lines are enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is yes. Tough googling, but here's what I found.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/790jwc/butche...

Edit: To clarify, I agree that any survivor may, in the aftermath, both take (or switch to) Axe proficiency and gain (STAR) levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
t3clis wrote:
Can you post a small small section of the text? I can't for the life of me remember this in 1.5, and I am positive that 1.31 had nothing like that - and I'm definitely far from my game.

Just the relevant lines are enough

All of the nemesis victories give an option to allow any survivors to switch their weapon proficiencies just before the XP/proficiency gain. The Butcher is Axes, King's Man is Spears, and The Hand is Fist & Tooth.

The relevant wording is

Quote:
Any victorious survivor may immediately select <weapon> proficiency regardless of Age milestones.

-- Victory --
+1 Hunt XP
+1 weapon proficiency/+* <weapon> proficiency

It's tough to say how it should be interpreted. It seems like the intent is to allow you to switch proficiency to the relevant weapon and get a jumpstart on training it, but the rules of proficiency are pretty clear: you have to have the proficiency at the beginning of the fight and wound with the weapon in order to gain the proficiency rewards from the aftermath.

You could argue that since it's calling out a specific weapon separately that it's akin to an event that says "survivors with <weapon> proficiency gain * proficiency" but that's not detailed anywhere afaik. RAW they don't gain it.

Edit: actually, I've just decided that I'm going to house rule that they can gain the * proficiency levels even if they didn't wound because otherwise

Quote:
Any victorious survivor may immediately select <weapon> proficiency regardless of Age milestones.

does absolutely nothing. You just won and you're going home to the settlement so you could just pick the proficiency there. The only thing this would do would be let a 0 XP survivor choose a weapon at age 1 instead of 2, and that just seems stupid. Why would they bother putting this whole new mechanic in if it was literally just to allow you to choose specific weapons 1 XP early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burchell
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play where you gain the levels, based on the idea thematically that though you didn't use the weapon, you watched someone incredibly skilled with it for the entire fight.

And like Taboobat said, there's no real purpose to it if you don't gain proficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Gone home, read that, you are absolutely right. You can choose it immediately and get wp.

It could be argued the precedence of operations, but since it is written before getting actual wp and hunt xp, I think the intent is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.