Maxim Simonov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello!

Sorry for the bad English (google Translate from Russian plus some manual editing).

I bought the 2 core set of this wonderful game and the first 2 cycles (12 packs). I will play with my wife and friends, not planning to play in serious competition tournaments.

What if playing a game using 40-card decks and limit 2 copyes of each card?

Advantages, as I see them:

1) a little more controllable deck - as I can see it
2) less space in the cabinet shelf with the same variety of cards
3) Greyjoy mill gets the right to life
4) do not need to buy the third base set (instead take out a third copy of cards of the cycles)

What pitfalls can be here? How often will the game end with the depletion of the deck? Will the gaming experience be worse than in a deck with 60 cards of 3 copies and if so, then what exactly?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fairly rare to draw 40 cards in one game, especially with the limited card pool from just the first 2 cycles. For the purposes of just playing with your friends at home, your plan should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Simonov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for answer.

I wonder how high is the chance to make a good Greyjoy mill deck (maybe with Lannister banner?) from the base and the first two cycles in а 40-cards deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 60 card decks it's not viable. With 40 cards, it could be very doable.

Assuming people setup 3 cards, that is 10 cards off the bat. If you can get them to drawing/discarding 6 cards per turn, you would get the remaining 30 cards in 5 turns. With the Reader and 1 pillage character, that would be enough. Not to mention they will probably draw cards, too. Dragon's Tail, Without His Beard, and Loot are all good in that deck. I bet it could consistently mill the opponent's deck by turn 4 to 6, which should be good enough to win some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Simonov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, next question. :-)

The probability of a same pair of cards (unique + dupe, for example) drawing in the first 20 from a 40-card deck with max 2 copies of cards in deck - 24%.

The probability of a same pair of cards (unique + dupe, for example) drawing in the first 20 from a 60-card deck with max 3 copies of cards in deck - 22%.

Does this mean that the first deck is more stable and will beat the second deck in case of competition of these two unequal decks with each other?

Why is the official number of cards in the deck equal to 60 - maybe because with the growing expansion of the pool of cards will be possible combos that can quickly exhaust the deck?

Maybe I'm wrong, but so far it seems to me that 60\3 decks compared to 40\2 are played about the same way, even slightly more randomly, that seems to be little worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a bunch of 60-card decks, but we also have a bunch of 40-card decks... and these days, we play the 40-card decks almost exclusively. I like them so much more. (We do have an Isle of Ravens in each one... and the Greyjoy isn't *super* pillage oriented.)

We do often play quicker versions just because our time has been more limited lately -- so we play to only 10 points (and only 5 plots). Never a problem with running out of cards then. However, when we do play to 15, we are still fine on cards. Of the hundred times we've played, we've never run completely out of cards (though pretty close a few times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.