Subject: I think I played locations wrong... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game in a while so I was re-reading the rulebook today and something drew my attention. Apparently I can build a faction location without a Foundation, provided I discard one of the common locations I had already built? So there are 3 ways to build a faction location:
1. raze a common card from your hand and use it as a foundation (by using 1 raze token)
2. raze a common card from the other player and use it as a foundation (by using at least 2 raze tokens, depending on whether she protects her locations or not)
3. simply discard one of the locations that you've already built.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Yorkston
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can only build a faction location by following way #3 from your list of possible methods. (Use a foundation from your own tableau of cards. This can either be a location you built or a foundation you have in your tableau because someone else razed one of your locations)

When you raze a card from your hand, the card is discarded (p.9 of the rules under Razing). It therefore isn't available to use as a foundation.

When you raze an opponent's location, they keep the foundation and can use it for a future faction building (they also get one wood). You only get the raze resources in the upper-right corner. After all, you are only looting the place for resources and aren't carrying the foundation away and back to your village!

[edited for typos]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. and 2. = nope, you can't raze from your hand or an opponent and then build on that.

3. correct.

the alternate way is:
an opponent has razed one of your buildings and you turned the card over (and you received +1 wood in the process and got a foundation symbol at the back) - that one can be discarded for a faction building.

other ways of building faction buildings without a foundation are only possible with certain action locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I was re-reading the rulebook today

Was it for a different game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

No need to be rude. I misread the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Ryucoo wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

No need to be rude. I misread the rules.

I winked, dude. Was only teasin’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.