Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
See the below Scoundrel card:

Attack 2, Range 3, Target 2.

JonGetsGames said something about being able to hit up to 2 enemies "along a line", but the rulebook simply says you "may add an additional target within range to the attack."

I read this as basically being the ability to hit 2 different targets as long as each is within 3 spaces from myself - even if the enemies are on opposite sides of me. Is this true? It's basically a "create your own area-effect"...

Am I right or wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I read this as basically being the ability to hit 2 different targets as long as each is within 3 spaces from myself - even if the enemies are on opposite sides of me. Is this true? It's basically a "create your own area-effect"...

Correct. And keep in mind that you would draw a separate attack modifier card for each target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some attacks that require specific positioning of the targets. The card you've shown does not have any specific positioning required so you can freely pick two targets as long as they are within range and line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you are correct, sir.
also, you only get 1 XP total, not 1 XP per target. (some abilities do give you XP per target, but it specifically says so on the card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
You are also correct that they have to be different targets. It’s not legal to target the same opponent twice with this card (and that is sometimes overlooked by others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a Scoundrel twice now. Even though this is a low-damage card, I've never swapped it out. The ability to tag two creatures at range is just excellent for those times when you can't get close, or the monsters have retaliate, or you know that they won't be getting close, etc.

I can see abandoning it eventually if I got high up there in levels; the damage is very low, after all, and you can't enhance the ability worth a darn (not even curses or wounds? Boo!). It's got a soft spot in my heart until then, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not directly related, but is the little circle to the right of the Range # an indication that the range can be enhanced? I'm in the midst of my third scenario with the scoundrel and I don't think I've taken note of that on the card yet. Is it really that subtle or are the marks to indicate that a trait can be enhanced more obvious than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
Not directly related, but is the little circle to the right of the Range # an indication that the range can be enhanced? I'm in the midst of my third scenario with the scoundrel and I don't think I've taken note of that on the card yet. Is it really that subtle or are the marks to indicate that a trait can be enhanced more obvious than that?

Yes, anywhere with a little dot next to a line (or next to an AoE diagram) means an enhancement can be added there (once enhancements are unlocked in your campaign)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Complex wrote:
Quote:

Correct. And keep in mind that you would draw a separate attack modifier card for each target.

Yeup - I forgot to mention that, but yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
you are correct, sir.
also, you only get 1 XP total, not 1 XP per target. (some abilities do give you XP per target, but it specifically says so on the card)

Also agreed. Forgot to mention that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mgardner0 wrote:
You are also correct that they have to be different targets. It’s not legal to target the same opponent twice with this card (and that is sometimes overlooked by others).

Good point - thanks for mentioning that. I wouldn't have thought about that until in the heat of battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
Snardo wrote:

Yes, anywhere with a little dot next to a line (or next to an AoE diagram) means an enhancement can be added there (once enhancements are unlocked in your campaign)

I haven't gotten that far, but I take it then that this card cannot have its attack strength augmented?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ViperMan wrote:
Bohde8781 wrote:
Snardo wrote:

I haven't gotten that far, but I take it then that this card cannot have its attack strength augmented?

This particular card half you have showing, Yes, Only the range can be enhanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought target added a target. And Target 2 added two targets but reading this you have me thinking that it only adds 1. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
I thought target added a target. And Target 2 added two targets but reading this you have me thinking that it only adds 1. Right?
"Add Target" adds a target. "Target X" specifies how many targets the ability can have by default. So "Target 2" doesn't "add" any targets; it just means the ability is able to target 2 things.

If it helps, any targeted ability that doesn't have a "Target X" explicitly listed implicitly has "Target 1".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Target 1 is implied for any ability that does not have the number of targets specified. Target 2 means there will be 2 targets. Or if you want to think of it as how many targets are added, then yeah, Target 2 adds 1 target. But I wouldn't think of it that way, because of how inherently confusing it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With this card, is it possible to target 2 different monsters :
- 1 at a distance of 3 or less
- 1 adjacent to my character

In these 2 cases, do I suffer disadvantage for each attack (because there is a monster in an adjacent hex) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is possible to target two enemies, one adjacent, one further away.

You would get disadvantage against the adjacent target, but not against the target further away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx!

I suppose that when I play this card, even if my character is not an archer, I suffer the disadvantage if I attack an adjacent target ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do a ranged attack against an adjacent target, it is with disadvantage. No matter what character you are or if it is an attack with a weapon or spell or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lohengrin75 wrote:
I suppose that when I play this card, even if my character is not an archer, I suffer the disadvantage if I attack an adjacent target ?

I think I know what you mean.

Each attack action is either melee or ranged, regardless of your character class. If it has “Range (Bow symbol) X” under it (where X is a number), then it’s a ranged attack. If it doesn’t, it’s a melee attack. Ranged attacks against adjacent enemies suffer disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.