Brian Berryhill
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen different things said about coordinate in pure solo play (one handed). Some say you can't receive the coordinate ability in solo play because there is no one to coordinate with. Others say that you still get the ability. Which is it?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Predfang wrote:
I've seen different things said about coordinate in pure solo play (one handed). Some say you can't receive the coordinate ability in solo play because there is no one to coordinate with. Others say that you still get the ability. Which is it?

Thanks.

For "one handed" ("pure solo" is of course just single player, regardless of number of hands), I believe the coordinate rule is that you discard and draw another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berryhill
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if I have "cut your name into him" which has coordinate and "draw a card" and assuming I have purchased it on a previous turn, I draw it into my hand I should the discard it and replace it with a new card? Seems like wasted resources to have purchased it in the first place. It seems like you are in the camp that says the coordinate text and ability is ignored in one-handed play? So don't purchase cards that have coordinate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Predfang wrote:
So if I have "cut your name into him" which has coordinate and "draw a card" and assuming I have purchased it on a previous turn, I draw it into my hand I should the discard it and replace it with a new card? Seems like wasted resources to have purchased it in the first place. It seems like you are in the camp that says the coordinate text and ability is ignored in one-handed play? So don't purchase cards that have coordinate?

Pretty much, Kevin is right you get to discard one card with coordinate from your hand to replace it from your library. This is mostly useless, but can at times come in handy when you really don't need that 2 recruit or whatever you have.

I just houseruled it to:
"Coordinate: If this is the first card with coordinate you played this turn, draw one card."

At least then it's not such a let down to draw when playing one handed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coordinate is optional. You can either play the card for the non-Coordinate effect or discard it and draw another card. You might want to do the latter if you are hoping to trigger another card in your hand or if the card with Coordinate doesn't have a useful effect (like a Sergeant when you're not interested in recruiting). You might want to do the former if the card has an effect (attack, recruit, or class trigger) you want this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berryhill
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You see, this is the conundrum. The last few posts contradict each other. Which one is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Predfang wrote:
You see, this is the conundrum. The last few posts contradict each other. Which one is correct?

I don't see a contradiction. Please clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berryhill
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Max seems to be saying that I cannot use the coordinate effect pure solo, but I can discard and replace the card with coordinate, while you seem to suggest that I can use the coordinate effect and that it is optional. Or maybe I am reading you both wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Predfang wrote:
Max seems to be saying that I cannot use the coordinate effect pure solo, but I can discard and replace the card with coordinate, while you seem to suggest that I can use the coordinate effect and that it is optional. Or maybe I am reading you both wrong?

We say the same thing, only with different words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have two options with a Coordinate card during solo play
- Play the card normally, just like in a multi-player game where you play the card on your turn instead of someone else's (you did not use the Coordinate keyword to play it on someone else's turn).
- Discard the card and draw a new card to replace it. If you have more than one Coordinate card in your hand you have to choose which to do this with as you can only do it once per turn.

So solo play gives you a new option for a Coordinate card, in case you do not need the effect it would grant you can hope to get something better.

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play in a small league here on bgg and the coordinate is discsrd and draw. It mke sense in the fact that is essentially what you do in multiplayer too, except they get a temporary copy of the card, you just throw and replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berryhill
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spazz451 wrote:
You have two options with a Coordinate card during solo play
- Play the card normally, just like in a multi-player game where you play the card on your turn instead of someone else's (you did not use the Coordinate keyword to play it on someone else's turn).
- Discard the card and draw a new card to replace it. If you have more than one Coordinate card in your hand you have to choose which to do this with as you can only do it once per turn.

So solo play gives you a new option for a Coordinate card, in case you do not need the effect it would grant you can hope to get something better.

Does that help?

Ok, now I get it. I thought the posts were saying two different things, but instead they were saying I could do both of those things. So I can choose to play the coordinate card and gain the ability if it's useful, or I can discard and replace if the ability is not currently useful. Ok, thanks four youbinput all and sorry it didn't click sooner. I am not used to rules sets so vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Coordinate is optional. You can either play the card for the non-Coordinate effect or discard it and draw another card. You might want to do the latter if you are hoping to trigger another card in your hand or if the card with Coordinate doesn't have a useful effect (like a Sergeant when you're not interested in recruiting). You might want to do the former if the card has an effect (attack, recruit, or class trigger) you want this turn.

I'm dense, and still not fully understanding:

When you Discard a Coordinate card, are you triggering the Coordinate ability?

Since Every Roll card has "Call for Backup", this special power will be useless in a Single Avatar Solo (SAS) game if we can't trigger Coordinate. Choosing an Avatar would be pointless, except for their health value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll try to clear up some things.

First, Coordinate is useless in a Single Avatar Solo (SAS) game. The keyword is meaningless in that context and should be ignored, unless you are playing with the variant introduced in the rules sheet that came with the expansion:

Expansion Rules Sheet wrote:
Game Variants
Coordinate in Solo Play
If you are playing a solo game with a single Avatar, once per turn, you may discard a card with Coordinate to draw a card.

Note the usage of "may" here. That means it is optional. Instead of discarding a card with Coordinate to draw another card, you can instead play it for the non-Coordinate effects of the card. If you choose to discard a card with Coordinate, that card is not considered to be played. The discarded card's class cannot be used to trigger class abilities of other cards, and any effect on the discarded card does not trigger.

In a game with multiple players or in a Multiple Avatar Solo (MAS) game, the Coordinate keyword means this (see page 12 of the rule book):

Base Game Rule Book wrote:
During another player’s turn you can Coordinate with them like this:
• Set aside a Coordinate card in your hand face up, and then immediately draw a new card to replace it. While it is set aside, it's considered "out of play."
• That player can now play a copy of the card you coordinated with them. (See Copying a Card on page 16)
• At the end of that player’s turn, put the card you Coordinated into YOUR discard pile.

You can only Coordinate one card to each player on their turn. However, multiple players can each coordinate one card to the player whose turn it is in order to give that player a huge advantage.

When you Coordinate a card to a player, they can choose not to play a copy of it. Either way you still draw a replacement card.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post in this thread is that you don't have to Coordinate. If it is currently another player's turn and you have a card with the Coordinate keyword in your hand, you can choose to use the Coordinate ability (as described in the rule book above) or you can hang onto it until it is your turn. If you choose to hang onto it and play the card on your turn, you play the card as you would any card that didn't have the Coordinate keyword.

If you do Coordinate with another player, the other player you Coordinated with can use your card's class to trigger their cards or vice versa. By the time your turn comes up, that Coordinated card is now in your discard pile, and it does not count as having been played on your turn. Therefore, the class and other effects of that card have no impact on your turn.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks DarthEd, I finally understand.

To make things fair for a SAS game, have your Avatar selected randomly. Otherwise, just pick the CIA AGENT for every game, 'cus he has the most Health points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'd like to fill you in on an update that's relevant to this topic and will take place when the next Legendary Encounters game comes out.

Currently the Single Avatar Solo Variant rule reads:

"If you are playing a solo game with a single Avatar, once per turn, you may discard a card with Coordinate to draw a card."

We will be updating that rule as follows:

"If you are playing a solo game with a single Avatar, once per turn, you may discard a card with Coordinate to draw a card. This DOES count as someone having 'coordinated' with you for the purposes of effects like Call for Backup."

Please feel free to start playing with that rule now.

Thank you,
Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Holland
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannym77 wrote:
when the next Legendary Encounters game comes out.

What is the next Legendary Encounters game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is the next Legendary Encounters game?

Well if we're going to stick with the Sci-Fi, Horror Genre, I'd like to see:
Legendary Encounters: THE THING
Sure there was only one movie (discounting the disappointing re-make), but Upper Deck pulled off a win with: Big Trouble in Little China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say what the next game is, but I'm pretty sure the truth is out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That. Sounds. Awesome.

Don't forget to include the episode about trailer-park vampires!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Holland
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannym77 wrote:

OMG that would be fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Briggs
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BrokenSpirit wrote:
Dannym77 wrote:

OMG that would be fantastic!

I want to believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.