Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I played with 2 new people (3 people total), and I warned them before the game "This is a really really hard game, we will most likely get demolished". Each round, we only lost like one troop, maybe 2 every now and then.

It was a cake walk. With all the abilities and equipment we were able to buy (not having to buy extra troops), we just breezed through the monsters.

I think we maybe just got lucky with the weather and having balanced draws?

Has anyone else had such an easy time?

....Also. It says it takes 30-60 min... took us about 2 hours. Anyone else take this long as well? How do you get a 3 player game in in an hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30-60 min. is not accurate, it will take longer with 3 players, especially if it is your first few plays. 2 hours seems about right.

However, your base only losing 6 health and not having to buy troops seems highly unusual. I suspect a critical rule was broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having only won one out of about 10 plays. (maybe 2 wins.). I would say you played way wrong. WAY WRONG! LOL! Or did you play on easy with less monsters per lane, etc. Remember, Damage is simultaneous unless noted (like snipers abilities etc) and read the cards carefully for the monsters special abilities. They can really do damage depending where in the lane and weather conditions.

The easiest game i played was using onslaught enemies with soldiers / items mixed from both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just guessing here, but perhaps you were not applying the monsters reveal effects? The weather can make reveal effects much worse but generally some reveal effect still applies. Also, unless you using some special ability or item, you do not get to attack first, damage is taken simultaneously by both you and the monster. My troops go down like bugs in a meat grinder every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it Kickstarter edition?
If it is, mind increasing difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Let me try to break down what happened.

1, all of are abilities were great. 1. Heal a troop that died to 1, put him at the end of your line (Helped keep someone whose troops died to atleast have a troop for the next round. 2. Prevent X damage 3. Deal X damage to an enemy.

Next, our 3 factions gave us 2 free Nutrient Canisters, Gun Drones, and the Helios guns, which all help keep troops on the board (I've read it acts as a troop if it last the round, so we gave it equipment).

Because the gun drones helped with the first round, we just bought equipment for one another so the troops were stacked the first wave.

Second wave, we heavily invested in Snipers and the tesla gauntlets (deal (W) to 1 enemy) so we were able to wipe out 1 players lane just with our snipers alone, before the enemies attacked. Some of them had reveal effects, but we prevented most of damage with the canisters and Helios.

By this time, we had so many troops lasting, we spent our money on instants and equipment.

I think our draws were just extremely balanced, so we were all able to spread the wealth. Also, the weather deck was in our favor. It was mostly Fog and Monsoon (Both buffed our ability cards) and didn't seem to be in favor with the enemies deck.

I'm pretty sure I got the rules right, we never negated the reveal when we killed it with abilities and instants, we just prevented the health taken from our guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Tremblay
msg tools
mb
ThatChristianGuy wrote:
Let me try to break down what happened.

1, all of are abilities were great. 1. Heal a troop that died to 1, put him at the end of your line (Helped keep someone whose troops died to atleast have a troop for the next round. 2. Prevent X damage 3. Deal X damage to an enemy.

Next, our 3 factions gave us 2 free Nutrient Canisters, Gun Drones, and the Helios guns, which all help keep troops on the board (I've read it acts as a troop if it last the round, so we gave it equipment).

Because the gun drones helped with the first round, we just bought equipment for one another so the troops were stacked the first wave.

Second wave, we heavily invested in Snipers and the tesla gauntlets (deal (W) to 1 enemy) so we were able to wipe out 1 players lane just with our snipers alone, before the enemies attacked. Some of them had reveal effects, but we prevented most of damage with the canisters and Helios.

By this time, we had so many troops lasting, we spent our money on instants and equipment.

I think our draws were just extremely balanced, so we were all able to spread the wealth. Also, the weather deck was in our favor. It was mostly Fog and Monsoon (Both buffed our ability cards) and didn't seem to be in favor with the enemies deck.

I'm pretty sure I got the rules right, we never negated the reveal when we killed it with abilities and instants, we just prevented the health taken from our guys.

There are some things here that sound off...

First, Wave 1 seems off, since if you guys were only investing in Gun Drones and, even with healing effects, it sounds like you're preventing a lot of damage.

Round 2 how are you affording to mass-stack Snipers and Gauntlets that quickly? Regardless, that wouldn't be nearly enough damage to kill everything Wave 2, since each is dealing 2 damage at that point and most enemies have 5+ HP.

Like... What were you doing against Marsh Leapers, Swamp Howlers, Mist Shredders, and Deathweed Creepers? Any of those should have wrecked your strategies.

Wave 3 the Lifebane Mantis, Acid Lasher, and Marsh Berserker should have made your lives hell if all you were doing was stacking direct damage and healing.

Stacking Gun Drones in your lane Wave 2+ should have resulted in a bunch of drones getting killed by Reveal effects instantly.

I'm just not seeing how, if your strategy was how you explained, you got away with only 6 damage. Like, the game has hard hard counters to what it sounds like you were doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's possible to have games were you get a good start, manage to keep troops alive and steamroll the game. Easy games are rare, but they do happen with a lot luck on your side. I've won losing as little as 3HP, then next game end up getting destroyed using the same cards. Doesn't matter how good your strategy is, the cards will come out in combinations that are unbeatable at times.

It's hard to tell when someone is playing some rules incorrectly. But with Xenoshyft, if someone finds it easy, it's usually a sure sign they are getting some rules wrong.

Easiest way to tell would be to play again, and if you still find it easy, you can be pretty sure you're getting a rule wrong somewhere. Maybe try playing the IOS version of the game, that helped me make sure I had the rules down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Cook
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing on the ios version (so I know I didn't mess up any rules) I had a game where I didn't lose a guy until the last round. My first 4 malitamen went the distance. Very rairly you'll just have all the luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did solo, playing 2 hands, and my base only got hit once for 8 I think. I do feel the game is hard even when I win. Feels like a card here or there could swing things one way or another.

As for the time, I don't think there is any way to finish the game in less than an hour. More like 1 hour per player when I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.