Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I just started reading the rules and watching some how-tos.

1. For me it seems a little bit weird that a low attacking value is better than a high one. Lower is better because you can choose more dice to attack and you can't get attacked very easily. Or did I miss something?

2. For the first play the recommend a the common goal 'science objects' (don't know the english name of it...). But this one doesn't have a goal that you can complete? It's just about collecting zombie markes on the card? But the goal is not to collect a specific amount of it. I don't get it...

3. The rules are mentioning several times „helpless survivors“. But I can‘t find an explanation what a helpless survivor is…

4. If an entrance gets overrun, only the 4th zombie will be removed and returned to the supply, the other 3 stay where they are?

5. Is it correct that you don't want to finish the common goal before you have fullfilled your own ones?

6. If the round or moral counter reaches 0 you will always lose unless you're a traitor that has this as a goal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
You roll dice and assign characters to do things. The lower the characters number the easier it is for them to Fight?Search. Each die roll allows one action. (usually)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
How do you define "boardgame addiction"?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems weird at first, but you'll get used to it. It just makes it so that rolling 6's is good i.e. high dice rolls are good. Otherwise you'd be hoping to roll 1's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You have to roll lower than the value of the survivor you attack. This way a lower attack value makes you harder to attack.

2. The goal is: There must be 3 markers per player on the card. This is the goal to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Hi

I just started reading the rules and watching some how-tos.

1. For me it seems a little bit weird that a low attacking value is better than a high one. Lower is better because you can choose more dice to attack and you can't get attacked very easily. Or did I miss something?

2. For the first play the recommend a the common goal 'science objects' (don't know the english name of it...). But this one doesn't have a goal that you can complete? It's just about collecting zombie markes on the card? But the goal is not to collect a specific amount of it. I don't get it...

1) No, you always just use one die when making an attack. When using a die to make an attack, you need a die with a result equal to or higher than the number listed on the survivor's card. Meaning a person with an attack value of 2+ means 2-6 on a six-sided die is a success. Same with the search value: a lower number on the card gives a higher range of numbers on a die that count as a success.

Attacking another player is different, as Nico explains above.

2) There is a goal you complete. You need to collect a number of samples equal to 3 times the number of players in the game. So in a three player game, you would need 9 samples. For this objective, it focuses on killing zombies, and it's recommended as a beginning scenario because it's simple for everyone to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. The rules are mentioning several times „helpless survivors“. But I can‘t find an explanation what a helpless survivor is…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A helpless survivor is someone who sits at the colony and counts as a survivor in terms of attracting zombies and eating food, but provides no other abilities.

Some Crossroads cards reference helpless survivors.

The token for helpless survivors is the circular one with a shadowed head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:

Page 4 of the English rules under Additional Components shows a picture of a Helpless Survivor token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. If an entrance gets overrun, only the 4th zombie will be removed and returned to the supply, the other 3 stay where they are?

5. Is it correct that you don't want to finish the common goal before you have fullfilled your own ones?

6. If the round or moral counter reaches 0 you will always lose unless you're a traitor that has this as a goal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hawkins
Canada
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:

Yes. If an entrance is overrun, return that (and only that) zombie to the supply. If there are still zombies to be placed, continue placing them in entrance order, following the overrun rules as needed.

GarfieldKlon wrote:

Correct. If you want to win, you must complete your secret objective. From the English rulebook: "When the game ends for any reason, if a player has completed his secret objective he wins. If he has not, he loses. Some players may win in a game that other players lost; there can be multiple winners. It is also possible for everyone to lose if no one has completed his secret objective when the game ends."

GarfieldKlon wrote:

If the round or morale track reaches 0, all non-betrayers lose. Betrayers have very different secret objectives and may require one of these in order to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gledhill
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, I'll try to answer your questions as concisely and clearly as I can, I hope Google translate conveys the point well. Your English is quite good, but comprehensive and tricky wording an make things confusing if they don't keep their exact meaning when translated.

So bare with me while I address your points in order.
Quote:

A: Nope! You haven't missed anything, but you may need to shift your way of thinking. So as you know, you roll action dice. These are the resource you have at your disposal which can determine what actions you can make. so the action dice must be "spent" or "paid" to perform the search or attack. So, the lower their search or attack value is, the lower the cost you need to pay.
TL;DR low requirement values = good.

Quote:

A: So the introductory main objective in English is called "We need more samples". The goal that needs to be completed is that the card need X Zombie tokens. where X is the number of players multiplies by 2 (or 3, if you play the hard version) To add a zombie token to the objective, you need you or a member of your party to kill a zombie. Once this has been done, roll a six sided dice (known as a die, but it could be lost in translation) On a roll result of 4 or higher the sample from the zombie is collected and can be added to the objective. On a result of 3 or lower, the sample is too damaged and can't be used (do not add the zombie token to the objective"

Quote:

A: There is a picture of a helpless survivor token on page 4 of the rule book
Some facts about helpless survivors:
- There aren't any at the start of the game (unless your main objective card puts them there).
- They eat food, just like every other survivor that is located at the colony.
- They can not be controlled by a player.
- They are normally added by "2 outsiders" or "3 outsiders" cards, which are found in several item decks.
- They are ignored in the event of overruns while survivors controlled by the player at at the colony.
- Because they can not be controlled by a player, they can not move or attack.

Quote:

A: Yes, correct.
But more specifically, if there are no vacant zombie spaces at a location with zombie spaces.
you mentioned the word entrance, so I'll assume you're reffering to the colony. But some non colony locations have more than 4 zombie spaces, so they can technically house that fourth zombie.

Quote:

A: Yes, your own goal, your secret objective represents your groups agenda, which they serve before the colony. The game ends when the "check main objective" step of the colony phase happens while the main objective is completed. (Which happens at the end of the round). You have to make sure your secret objective is complete before this time to ensure both objectives are complete when the game ends, which is how you win.

Quote:

A: Again, yes.
but more specifically, The traitor will still lose if round tracker = 0.
Every traitor objective requires morale = 0. So traitors don't win if there is 1 or more morale at the end of the game.

I hope this translates clearly, I hope it's helpful.

Dead of winter is a complex game to understand, but by far the funnest I've ever played, and definitely can be played the most because each game is different.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.