Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who is watching this game, it is now complete and I will be uploading the files to the files section over the next few days. Watch out for them appearing soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mira Barbian
Germany
flag msg tools
Is this a print and play game?
or is it going to appear on kickstarter soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
sappy92 wrote:
Is this a print and play game?
or is it going to appear on kickstarter soon?

I'm 99% sure it will just be a PnP game. I think getting a license to make this a for-sale venture would make it insanely expensive. I love Nintendo, but they don't easily license IP's out to individuals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is correct - it's print and play only. Getting the licence from Nintendo would be incredibly difficult, I fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this even legal for you to make? Are you sure you’re not infringing on any copyright or licensing laws? Looks like an interesting game, but feels like using the legend of zelda name is illegal. It looks like tiles are lifted straight from link to the past, this is ok?

I’m not trying to be a jerk, I am genuinely interested in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
Is this even legal for you to make? Are you sure you’re not infringing on any copyright or licensing laws? Looks like an interesting game, but feels like using the legend of zelda name is illegal. It looks like tiles are lifted straight from link to the past, this is ok?

For a Print-and-Play, no-profit-being-made game, I don't know if even Nintendo would care. If they don't issue a C&D to take it down, then there's no worries.

I would be surprised if they do, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
rudis21 wrote:

For a Print-and-Play, no-profit-being-made game, I don't know if even Nintendo would care. If they don't issue a C&D to take it down, then there's no worries.

I would hope the creator did his research first, before using name and art from an IP. Just my concerns with actually downloading the files when they are uploaded, it feels sketchy to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
rudis21 wrote:

I would hope the creator did his research first, before using name and art from an IP. Just my concerns with actually downloading the files when they are uploaded, it feels sketchy to me.

Yes, I've done my research and it is basically as Scott describes; as long as you are not using the images for profit then the IP holder generally doesn't care. There might be some (such as, for example, Games Workshop) who guard their IP more closely, but apart from those few it's generally fine to make (free) fan-made tributes. If it turns out that Nintendo does have a problem with it then the worst they will do is ask me or BGG to remove it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
rudis21 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
rudis21 wrote:

Yes, I've done my research and it is basically as Scott describes; as long as you are not using the images for profit then the IP holder generally doesn't care. There might be some (such as, for example, Games Workshop) who guard their IP more closely, but apart from those few it's generally fine to make (free) fan-made tributes. If it turns out that Nintendo does have a problem with it then the worst they will do is ask me or BGG to remove it.

Awesome! I can’t wait to try it! Are the tiles carcassonne size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
rudis21 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
rudis21 wrote:

Awesome! I can’t wait to try it! Are the tiles carcassonne size?

No, the tiles are 3.5" squares. Six of them fit on an A4 sheet of paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just reading the rules and the more I read, the more I want to play the game - the system is simple and intuitive, but I think it contains some unique and engaging features. I really like the cooperative combat mechanic and that players have the option to help each other out and are allowed to take a few actions to get there before doing so. I also love the cog-idea of manipulating the layout of the level (I was already wondering when reading setup how you would ensure that every room can be opened and reached, but that cleared this up brilliantly!). These two features alone will probably make for some real nailbiting decisions.
The time limit for completing the dungeons via the number of cards in the decks is a nice addition, too - for it will keep the pressure up and will only serve to make some decisions even more agonizing as I imagine.
Now on to reading the rest of the rulebook....

Really looking forward to creating this game and be able to play it. Please upload the components quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, one minor gripe I have is the colors....why make interact green, attack yellow and move red??
More intutitive would be green = move, yellow = interact and red = attack, no??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
I am just reading the rules and the more I read, the more I want to play the game - the system is simple and intuitive, but I think it contains some unique and engaging features.

Thanks - I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
I really like the cooperative combat mechanic and that players have the option to help each other out and are allowed to take a few actions to get there before doing so. I also love the cog-idea of manipulating the layout of the level (I was already wondering when reading setup how you would ensure that every room can be opened and reached, but that cleared this up brilliantly!). These two features alone will probably make for some real nailbiting decisions.
The time limit for completing the dungeons via the number of cards in the decks is a nice addition, too - for it will keep the pressure up and will only serve to make some decisions even more agonizing as I imagine.
Now on to reading the rest of the rulebook....

Really looking forward to creating this game and be able to play it. Please upload the components quickly

It's looking like the files are getting approved quite quickly, so hopefully the should be up within a couple of days. I'll make a post in the forums when everything you need is available (you'll have to supply your own D8, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
Oh, one minor gripe I have is the colors....why make interact green, attack yellow and move red??

When I was trying to think of what I should make the icons for Move, Attack and Interact, I wanted something simple. I played around with making them icons such as boots, hands and swords, but it always looked too busy and kinda clashed with the icons that are on the Item and Treasure cards.

So the thing that eventually came to me was to just make them look like the buttons on Nintendo controllers (so, just a circle with some shading). And as my favourite of the Zelda games is Link to the Past, it made sense to make Move red (A), Attack yellow (B) and Interact green (Y).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Neva Kee wrote:

When I was trying to think of what I should make the icons for Move, Attack and Interact, I wanted something simple. I played around with making them icons such as boots, hands and swords, but it always looked too busy and kinda clashed with the icons that are on the Item and Treasure cards.

So the thing that eventually came to me was to just make them look like the buttons on Nintendo controllers (so, just a circle with some shading). And as my favourite of the Zelda games is Link to the Past, it made sense to make Move red (A), Attack yellow (B) and Interact green (Y).

Ah - I see the reason for the coloring now
I still think it is somewhat counterintuitive in comparison to other games , though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printing now.....oh, well, this might take a few days to print, glue and build

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

For some reason, the US version of the SNES used a purple color scheme for the controllers, rather than the colored buttons. As a kid, I did get as a gift a "pro" type controller that had colored buttons (and toggles for "rapid fire" stuff), but I never got the joy of the colors.

(From my understanding, the idea was to make the SNES less "toy like" in the US market, and somehow purple tones were less kiddy than the colored ones?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Wittman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Looks incredible. A4. Longer and narrower pages than typical 20lb 8.5x11" paper (imperial measurements). Before I print, how's it working out on typical 8.5x11 printer paper?

I imagine a heavier bond paper or even a light cardstock might be better.

Any chance we might expect a gameplay video? While the family is interested in the Zelda theme, the estimated play time is not a selling point to my family that likes the lighter and filler games.

Thank you for putting this together. So creative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenaway
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am blown away by how professional this game looks , right down to the instructions and the rulebook.

This is fantastic.I can't wait to try it out.

Thank you Chris. This is top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romanhokie wrote:
Looks incredible. A4. Longer and narrower pages than typical 20lb 8.5x11" paper (imperial measurements). Before I print, how's it working out on typical 8.5x11 printer paper?

Although I can't say for certain, in most cases it should be fine. Few (even none) of the images go right up to the edge of the paper. Let me know if you have any problems.

Quote:
I imagine a heavier bond paper or even a light cardstock might be better.

I'll also be uploading the files in "professional printing format" soon, so if you want to get them printed through Artscow, PrinterStudio or BoardGamesMaker, you'll be able to.

Quote:
Any chance we might expect a gameplay video? While the family is interested in the Zelda theme, the estimated play time is not a selling point to my family that likes the lighter and filler games.

I'm afraid I don't really have the technical know-how to make a video.

Playing level 1 shouldn't take more than 2 hours, tops (maybe a little more for your first game, but that time should soon come down). It's only the later levels that can take up to 3 hours, as they're bigger. So you could potentially just play the game as a single-level experience and adjust difficulty to your taste by including more or less Item/Treasure cards in each player's starting deck.

Quote:
Thank you for putting this together. So creative!

Thanks. Glad you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redbuddha wrote:
I am blown away by how professional this game looks , right down to the instructions and the rulebook.

This is fantastic.I can't wait to try it out.

Thank you Chris. This is top notch.

Thanks. I'm glad more people will be able to enjoy it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All files are now uploaded and available in the files section (along with a couple of last-minute tweaks to the rulebook and reference sheet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yipieeh!
On to more printing, then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romanhokie wrote:

bleached_lizard wrote:

I'm afraid I don't really have the technical know-how to make a video.

I'm pretty sure we'd have a blast putting together a video for this one. I probably don't have the time to do any extensive PNP stuff at the moment (not and have it look decent anyway), but I'll make a mental note to come back to this at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, where do folks think would be the best place to advertise this game on BGG (or elsewhere)? I've already made a post in the Print & Play guild, but I'm guessing that has quite a small readership. Should I maybe make a post in the General forum, or is not not really an appropriate venue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.