9 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Extermination Clairification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kitchen
Canada
flag msg tools
This never came up until last weekend and I was unable to find a feed asking about this.

Page 24 of the rulebook states

Extermination : If a player has no star ships and Controls no Systems, their civilization has been exterminated and that player is eliminated from the game.

Here is what happened.

At the time the Ferengi controlled two systems, Ferenginar + 1. Total ships remaining under control of the Ferengi was 7, 0 in Ferenginar and 3 in the only other system they controlled. The other 4 were in a fleet that was at warp.

The Klingon's then took both Ferenginar and the controlled system wiping out the 3 ships in it. My question really is are the Ferengi at the point of losing the second system technically exterminated at that point as the other 4 ship fleet is at warp and ships and or fleets are not considered to be on the board while at warp? Or do they still have the chance to bring the 4 ship fleet out of warp on their next turn and see if they can get back into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bigness
msg tools
I believe as long as you still have ships in play that have not been destroyed your still in the game. But in the scenario you described it could be very hard to make a comeback. You would have to recapture your home world first or you could never claim ascendancy, plus you would still need a way to collect enough resources in future turns to build back up your ships and continue colonizing. Unless of course you were saving a good chunk of your resources as reserves this would be a long road back indeed. Just my opinion but I haven't Played as much as other folks in the forums so let's see what opinion other players have on this situation.

()() SAMHAIN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the rule say no starships "on the board" or "located in sectors"? I'd think it would need one of those qualifiers or to specifically exclude ships at warp in order to reach the conclusion that the Ferengi player was eliminated with ships still present but at warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Their ships still count, even if at Warp. Rulebook p24.

Not very likely they can make a comeback though. Perhaps they can strike a deal with another player to help them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you still have ships and a culture token you can technically put down a control node. Get 2 production, 1 command for starbase (assuming you haven't drop yours down for your ascendancy level)and then more ships to stay in the game.

But yeah it does make sense to follow the RTS rule of if you have no structures you are out of the game. I mean if you are close to being eliminated you can still make like a protos probe and start dropping pylons everywhere you can find a spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kitchen
Canada
flag msg tools
That was my interpretation to however majority rules and myself and the Ferengi player were voted down 3-2. I really think the others just wanted him eliminated so he would put on a scene. I was in control of the Klingons. No deal would have saved them him me on one end and the Borg on the other. He only lasted as long as he did because his son was using the Romulans and did everything in his power to try and keep his father in the game. 4 ships simply are not enough to stop a Borg cube when you never bother to upgrade your weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mattias wrote:
Their ships still count, even if at Warp. Rulebook p24.

Yep, should have been no discussion. Pretty clear per the rules that if you still have ships you are still "technically" in the game though probably not for long. How did the other players justify that he was out by the RAW rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rotella
msg tools
I suppose that I would rule that as long as the player has pieces in play, they're still in the game. Getting resources is going to be tricky, but there are exploration cards that give resources, and some pre-warp civs that can be colonized. Optionally, if you can convert culture into Ascendancy, you should be able to convert it back, and if you're using the optional 'Wild Culture' rule, you could use that as a revenue source.

I think that was kind of a jerk move, eliminating a player to see them throw a fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaRotella wrote:
I think that was kind of a jerk move, eliminating a player to see them throw a fit.

Yeah, is there some ongoing conflict that extends beyond the table that warrants this? It not only affects him, but it also puts his son in a difficult situation, choosing between quitting a game that is a significant time investment or continuing to game with people who just booted his father just to get a reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.