Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Personal quest rant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Galvez Meyer
Ecuador
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is stupid we didn't know personal quests had the same unlock class option and apparently 2 of us had the same one (c'thulu icon), when the first one completed his personal quest the other one was furious and I agree all that time wasted for nothing, now his personal quest has no real reward. Did I miss a rule to just have one of each icon or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first rule you missed was to not ise the third word in your post. At all. It’s pretty offensive.

To the point of the rest of your question, the rules make the assumption that this will happen, and when it does, alternate rewards are offered. Without the rule book in front of me, I can’t really give you specifics, but it’s not as bad an outcome as you seem to be concerned it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where specifically but I do know that there's something about a random free item and random scenario. The character would also still unlock any class based quests that are connected. As much as the unlocking a class thing is cool. I use the quests more as a bit of roleplaying flavor for the character as I play him and feel like being furious about the mixup is a little over the top... it isn't wasted for "nothing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, there's no rule, but many folks houserule it so that this situation doesn't arise. Folks talk about what their personal quest unlocks and be sure to pick unique ones.

You don't get nothing for the quest, but a random item design and side-scenario isn't amazing either. If you don't mind breaking with theme, you could just draw the next personal quest with a unique symbol and say that you did that one instead...

Not sure if this would break anything, but as so many are fond of saying, no one is going to rat you out to the Gloomhaven City Guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
You are dealt two personal quests and get to keep one. There is no rule that says you have to keep these hidden, or that you can't talk amongst your party before choosing. It's very rare that everyone gets overlapping symbols on both their cards.

Also, a random item design and random side scenario certainly isn't "no real reward". Those item designs are really, really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each class has 2 occurrences in personal quests, so you'll get dupes eventually. Also, two classes have reputation unlocks which could occur before the personal quest one or vice versa.

Whenever this happens, the second person unlocking the class instead unlocks an Item Design and a Side Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Manning
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
You are dealt two personal quests and get to keep one. There is no rule that says you have to keep these hidden, or that you can't talk amongst your party before choosing. It's very rare that everyone gets overlapping symbols on both their cards.

Also, a random item design and random side scenario certainly isn't "no real reward". Those item designs are really, really good!

I thought personal quests were kept secret?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Shagoosty wrote:
Joou wrote:

You are incorrect. The only hidden information between players the rulebook mentions are Battle Goals, and specific action card names and numbers during the card selection phase of the round. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shagoosty wrote:
Joou wrote:

iirc, the only cards kept secret (no table talk) are ability cards and battle goals. I can't find anything in the Personal Goals rules area that say these are to be kept secret.

However, the rules are sometimes convoluted and I have missed some of them...if you find the place in the rulebook that states these are supposed to be secret, please post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
I just want to reiterate that personal quests are not hidden information.

You basically brought that onto you by misinterpreting the rules or house ruling altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoxmaker wrote:
The first rule you missed was to not use the third word in your post. At all. It’s pretty offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In the OP's defense, while PQs are not explicitly meant to be kept secret, they are neither explicitly public. I can even remember a quote from Isaac saying he likes to keep his secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
TheBoxmaker wrote:
The first rule you missed was to not use the third word in your post. At all. It’s pretty offensive.

OP edited his post, I assume to change out the third word, and I can guess what it was, and if I'm right, I'm glad he edited it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:

Do I keep my personal quest secret?
There's not an official rule on this, so do whatever you want. I like to keep mine secret.

Also, if you are awarded an unlock of an already unlocked reward, you get a Random Item Design and a Random Scenario instead. These include Personal Quest unlocks. I don't have the rule book in front of me but it's in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
In the OP's defense, while PQs are not explicitly meant to be kept secret, they are neither explicitly public.

I got arrested one time for something explicitly public....
(kidding, my record is clean. I didn't get caught for that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This happened in my group two. Given how exciting getting a new class is supposed to be, it's unfortunate that this possibility is in the game. I understand some reasoning for it (i.e. a unlock is not blocked if somebody has a personal quest but decides not to fill it or leaves the campaign or something).

That said, when people running into duplicates like this, the experience is so bad it can (nearly) completely ruin the game experience. Indeed the rules say that you a personal quest may unlock something already unlocked. However, it's not clear at all from just the rules that this can be from overlaps in personal quests themselves. So there really is no real warning. At the very least, I think the rules should have had recommendations that players talk about their rewards in order to not overlap.

In this scenario, I'd recommend:
1) Let the second player choose any class to unlock after completing their personal quest OR
2) After completing their personal quest, the player draws a personal quest and unlocks that reward instead (make sure no overlaps with the team!) OR
3) Get a new personal quest card until they have a reward nobody else has.
We went with the third option, simply because one player didn't want to retire, and was fine "restarting" his personal quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't overlap on rewards, then you won't unlock all of the side quests...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
and you actually need those side quests in order to open other parts of the game, most specifically
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Ancient Artifacts which allows you to open an envelope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24 retirement cards, 11 unlocked classes. seems like dupes are easily predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
24 retirement cards, 11 unlocked classes. seems like dupes are easily predictable.

If you are the games owner then yes. If you were taught the game and just handed the quest cards and told to pick one then it could be pretty annoying.

I think that the way this worked should have been extra explicit since it is a fairly obvious place for frustration to crop up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drak Tok
msg tools
I mean ... it's not supposed to be hidden, and you're dealt 2. So... you just have to share. because it's not a hidden rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
My group made the same mistake thinking they were supposed to be kept secret. None of us has retired yet, but just by virtue of the number of possible quest cards, we already figured there were duplicate class unlocks. We've already ruled that if you would unlock a class that has already been unlocked, you unlocked another random class, because the item and scenario are frankly insultingly pathetic consolation prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.