Gaia Project» Forums » Variants

Subject: Why not using all round boosters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxime Gingras-Nadeau
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello all,
I just feel that using all round boosters give more flexibility, more depth and open up strategies for all races.
I’m wondering what’s the thinking behind the rule of only using a certain number of boosters..

Thx for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game to game variability. Also, less flexibility can also lead to harder choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gingras-Nadeau
Canada
flag msg tools
I can see that been useful maybe after dozens of plays but I feel like there’s already planty of hard decisions to make without the need of adding extra complexity with selecting round boosters and also there’s enough variability with the modular board, all the different races, all the variable tech and advanded tech tiles, as well as all the round scoring and end of game scoring tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like in Terra Mystica, at the core of this game all factions are basically doing the same thing. Players are simply choosing which structures to build in what order, and where to build them. If players had the freedom and flexibility to do that however they wished, the games would quickly begin to feel the same.

The scoring tiles and round bonuses might change the order in which players do things, but the available round boosters really force players to adjust tactics, because they make certain resources (money, ore, QIC,...) harder or easier to obtain.

Variability from one play to the next is definitely a strength of the Terra Mystica games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
As the owner of the game, you can play with any homerules, with what you want.
For example, you can play with all 6 final scoring tiles. Or with all round scoring tiles. You can generally come up with other rules for the components in the box, for example wargame or partygame As you wish

On this topic:
Using all 10 round booster will reduce tactical depth, replayability and change the balance. Choice of the faction will not depend on the round boosters, intending to earlier pass, too. Value of the first player will increase.
Your option may be also interesting and viable, but I do not want to try it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
I would never myself play with all round boosters, but especially for new players, it might be a lot to have so many boosters to choose from.

Fewer boosters makes it easier to actually make the right decision (or said in another way: analyze each of your options more carefully). I don't know if it's harder or easier, but it makes it more possible to think about the consequences of your options without spending too much time - at least after the game has begun. Having 6 boosters to look at as a new player... (and maybe your opponents current boosters too, if you still could consider doing actions - which might be a lot more rare to consider)

Gaia Project is quite a lot about adapting both to the setup, to the available options each round and also keeping an eye out for what your opponents wants to do or if they'll grab the same thing you want. Some of this would go lost if you added all round boosters - but you can always houserule any way, that makes your group enjoy the game the most.

Try it out if you like, it won't ruin the game, but it would make it less smooth and I guess also less fierce :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
bobral wrote:
For example, you can play with all 6 final scoring tiles. Or with all round scoring tiles. You can generally come up with other rules for the components in the box, for example wargame or partygame As you wish
This.

Here are a few more ideas:
- Academies are too expensive - make them 5o+6c, or even (TM-like) 4o+6c
- QICs are too rare - add a "get 1 QIC for 3pw" power action
- the "2VP per research step" round booster is weak - make it 3VP

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
bobral wrote:
This.

meeple

but that's not getting me a partygame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's a suggestion to rule all games (borrowed from Ephraim Kishon's version of poker):

At the end of the game, if you say "doubled" first, your score is doubled.
During the game, you can say "Ultimo" for an instant win.
However, if somebody says "<censored>"* after an "Ultimo", that person wins instead.

whistle

* I'm not going to tell you, so I can win against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
bobral wrote:
This.

meeple

I thought you were being ironic but I kind like those ideas ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddugas wrote:
DocCool wrote:
bobral wrote:
This.

meeple

I thought you were being ironic but I kind like those ideas ; )
I know - while being indeed not totally serious, I still made sure to list stuff I might actually enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Eisenstein
United States
Lilburn
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of using #players +3 boosters.
Then like TM, add coins to unchosen boosters.

I also think QIC is too scarce. There are a number of things you can do to fix this, but generating more QIC would make the QIC board actions more useful.
Maybe one of the tech track spaces should be QIC income.
Currently, the 4 QIC board action is useless most of the time.

Having QIC more plentiful would also help with newbies getting range.

These are mainly variants for new players & people that don't play often. I'm sure hard core players don't need this and would shoot it down in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Quote:
I like the idea of using #players +3 boosters.
Then like TM, add coins to unchosen boosters.

I also think QIC is too scarce. There are a number of things you can do to fix this, but generating more QIC would make the QIC board actions more useful.
Maybe one of the tech track spaces should be QIC income.
Currently, the 4 QIC board action is useless most of the time.

Having QIC more plentiful would also help with newbies getting range.

These are mainly variants for new players & people that don't play often. I'm sure hard core players don't need this and would shoot it down in a heartbeat.

You are correct. The experienced players not necessarily experts take the QIC actions a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Huh...On the 3power for a QIC idea...

The other day we did TM instead of GP due to 5 attendees and so I revisited that old 5p suggestion thread.

Do you think the power actions would be too tight for 5p? I mean, TM was also super tight at 5p, but frankly I think TM could have used 1-2 more power actions as well.

What if you added that 1 QIC for 3 power as a 5p action?
I like the idea of the additional power action, but yeah, that's also just making the QIC actions even tighter.
(edit: Sorry, got a work call in there mid thought.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.