1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fallout» Forums » Variants

Subject: Nerdook's Fallout Mega Mod: ready for testing! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone, I've finished the prototype of my Mega Mod for Fallout, and I thought it would be nice to share it here.

Mini cards, now with MORE GUNS! Just print these and insert into existing sleeved Fallout cards: all the Agenda cards are now influence cards (combining perks and VPs into one system), while some cards are replaced by different ones:

10mm Pistol <- Jet
Brass Knuckles <- MacReady
Combat Shotgun <- Stimpack
Baseball Bat <- Paladin Danse
Hunting Rifle <- Sniper Rifle
Shotgun <- Preston Garvey (loot card)

All Apparel items are just reskinned with artwork from the Fallout 4 concept art book: all the cards are optional.

These are poker sized cards: print, cut, and insert into any sleeved standard poker cards to test. There are two decks: an Event deck which is drawn each turn after all players have activated (now with Radstorms! and travelling merchants! and more!), and an Exploration deck for special exploration quests (it's the Exploration mechanic from This War of Mine, if you're familiar with that).

MAJOR CHANGES:

1) At the start of the game, setup the survivor board as normal. However, instead of drawing a random SPECIAL attribute, players may choose TWO SPECIAL attributes to add in addition to the starting one, then draw TWO agenda cards and choose one to keep.

2) On levelling up, instead of drawing SPECIAL tokens, simply take one and put it aside (facedown) beside your player board. These can be spent in several ways:

a) Spend SPECIAL tokens to activate abilities on agenda cards
b) Spend ONE SPECIAL token whenever you advance a faction to declare loyalty to that faction: put a token for that faction on your survivor board. If that faction is ahead on the track, you have +1 agenda point (VP)
c) Spend ONE SPECIAL token when you level up to discard an agenda card and gain the SPECIAL attribute on that card.
d) Spend THREE SPECIAL tokens to gain an extra agenda card

3) The new limit for agenda cards is now:

4 player game: 5 per player
3 player game: 6 per player
2 player game: 7 per player
1 player game: 8 per player

4) The game ends when the Event deck runs out three times: at the end of the game, each player who achieves his minimum agenda points (same as the base game) is considered to have won.

5) A new Exploration system! Now with Perfectly Preserved Pies.

EDIT: There's still some card space left to fill up a poker deck, so I'm working on adding more Exploration cards and some way of adding Legendary enemies and rewards into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Weller
United Kingdom
London
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Job
Do you have any ideas on improving combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks great, are you going to make a zip file somewhere or just download them here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umut Cagirgan
Turkey
Izmir
Select One
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess "Scavenging" card is a player aid and you put it on play area during setup and to do a scavenge action a "Point of Interest" event card should put a marker on a wasteland location first, am I right? And with a single scavenge action do you resolve all exploration cards you draw at the start of action one by one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
hawkeye137 wrote:
I guess "Scavenging" card is a player aid and you put it on play area during setup and to do a scavenge action a "Point of Interest" event card should put a marker on a wasteland location first, am I right? And with a single scavenge action do you resolve all exploration cards you draw at the start of action one by one?

Oh yes, sorry for the lack of clarity there.. yes, the Scavenging card is just for reference, and when you spend an action scavenging on a Point of Interest location, you discard the marker, draw Exploration cards equal to the level plus one, then draw the cards one by one and resolve them in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umut Cagirgan
Turkey
Izmir
Select One
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nerdook wrote:
hawkeye137 wrote:

Oh yes, sorry for the lack of clarity there.. yes, the Scavenging card is just for reference, and when you spend an action scavenging on a Point of Interest location, you discard the marker, draw Exploration cards equal to the level plus one, then draw the cards one by one and resolve them in order.

Firstly, well done, everything looks pretty great. It is amazing how much work and attention to detail you put into this. I have several more questions though, sorry for taking your time.

1) All new agendas with perks are shuffled with base game agendas, got it. But since they don't have enemy icons, they don't activate anything when one of them is drawn at the end of a round then, right?

2) Do you think adding all the new assets and loots without removing the ones you listed affect game balance much? Asking, because I am really not a fan of removing stuff.

3) Are you planning adding card backs at separate sheets for these? I don't sleeve my games either, because sleeves are expensive at where I live sadly.

4) Lastly, do you plan adding even more cards on future? That would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
hawkeye137 wrote:

1) All new agendas with perks are shuffled with base game agendas, got it. But since they don't have enemy icons, they don't activate anything when one of them is drawn at the end of a round then, right?

2) Do you think adding all the new assets and loots without removing the ones you listed affect game balance much? Asking, because I am really not a fan of removing stuff.

3) Are you planning adding card backs at separate sheets for these? I don't sleeve my games either, because sleeves are expensive at where I live sadly.

4) Lastly, do you plan adding even more cards on future? That would be awesome.

1) None of the base game agendas will be used: if you have them sleeved, the printed ones REPLACE EVERY SINGLE ONE. Instead of using agenda cards for activation, use the icons at the top of the new Event cards instead (you can see it in the images above).

2) I tried my best to maintain the balance by replacing either cards with a lot of existing duplicates (e.g. Jet, Stimpack), or by replacing the weaker Companion cards. I'm not a fan of how companion cards work in this game anyway, and I have my own custom companion cards but using 'borrowed' art from a random DeviantArt artist. It's on an earlier thread but I decided not to share it here anymore since it feels wrong.

3) Ah... I will eventually print custom copies for myself once enough testing is done, perhaps I'll get card backs done then. Until then, you can just search for Fallout wallpapers and cut something of an appropriate size, I guess, or get cheap poker cards and just glue the paper on.

4) I'm working on expanding the Exploration deck, and MAYBE working in Legendary enemies + special Legendary loot, just like the video game. Tentative idea is having boss enemies with a HP count instead of a level, and you keep rolling 'rounds' until someone dies. Nothing concrete yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
DeanCornel wrote:
Nice Job

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually enjoy the combat system in this game. It's abstracted but quick, and that's fine by me... the actual combat in Fallout 4 is rapidly hitting Q, while the tactical combat of Fallout 2 might be beyond the scope of a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umut Cagirgan
Turkey
Izmir
Select One
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nerdook wrote:

1) None of the base game agendas will be used: if you have them sleeved, the printed ones REPLACE EVERY SINGLE ONE. Instead of using agenda cards for activation, use the icons at the top of the new Event cards instead (you can see it in the images above).

Yeah, I realised it too after noticing enemy icons on event cards. My bad. On other questions, thanks for the replies. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If these become as good as our D2 mods, we'll be in for a suprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeanCornel wrote:
Nice Job

The combat is great. It's simple, thematic, and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean E.
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks incredible, and at first glance, looks to fix a few issues I had with the game. I hope you keep us informed and publish your final product when you're happy with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wright
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
new user
This looks awesome! Excuse me if I’m missing something, but how does the exploration system work? I’m unfamiliar with the other game mentioned. Is it another type of encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Den Ell

Nebraska
msg tools
mb
What? No Zoot, the space suit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What sleeves are used for the mini cards? I should invest in some...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
What sleeves are used for the mini cards? I should invest in some...

I'm using 43mm x 65mm Swan brand penny sleeves for about $4 for a pack of 160 sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
inprognito wrote:
This looks awesome! Excuse me if I’m missing something, but how does the exploration system work? I’m unfamiliar with the other game mentioned. Is it another type of encounter?

You build a small facedown deck when you Scavenge (as a new action), then flip the cards one by one to resolve them and see what obstacles/rewards are in that 'dungeon'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Condos
Australia
flag msg tools
new user
I don't believe it has been said anywhere so I'm gonna quickly ask, do all of the new items (guns, drugs and armour) act as shop cards or are some meant to be in the loot pile as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
KoS7 wrote:
I don't believe it has been said anywhere so I'm gonna quickly ask, do all of the new items (guns, drugs and armour) act as shop cards or are some meant to be in the loot pile as well?

Most are for shop cards, except the Shotgun and Raider armors for loot cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wright
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
new user
nerdook wrote:
inprognito wrote:

You build a small facedown deck when you Scavenge (as a new action), then flip the cards one by one to resolve them and see what obstacles/rewards are in that 'dungeon'.

So the deck is built at the game start and scavenging is a new action to draw from that deck? If that’s the case is it only done at ruins or settlements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
inprognito wrote:

So the deck is built at the game start and scavenging is a new action to draw from that deck? If that’s the case is it only done at ruins or settlements?

Nope, there's a specific event card that seeds the world with Scavenge encounters. When you are on that location (always ruins), you can spend an action to Scavenge, then build the deck... a new deck will be built each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Weller
United Kingdom
London
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair comment
You’ve really done a fab job here
The additional material you have conceived really gives the game more longevity considering there are such limited missions. Would love to see more cards.
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very impressive work Nerdook! I really dig your idea to combine the influence and perk cards.

After looking everything over, though, I have several questions and a couple of comments.

In your explanation of your rules, you say at the beginning of the game, you draw 2 agenda cards and choose 1 to keep. You’re referring to your new influence cards here, correct?

With your new loyalty declaration rule, you say to take a token of the faction you’re declaring loyalty to and put it on your survivor board. What if all of the tokens of that faction are already in play on the board or have been taken by other survivors? What if you need to place a faction token in play on the board but all of them are either already on the board or on a player’s board because they declared loyalty?

Calm Before the Storm Event card – you just shuffle this into the exploration deck at the start of the game as normal, right?

Can you provide more info on the 'ammo tokens' that are on your new gun cards? Will this be a new token we'll need to find a proxy for? Can you buy more ammo?

Influence Cards:
Ferocious Loyalty – do you get the +1 influence automatically, or only if you would be killed and discard a companion instead? If this happens early in the game, do you just have to remember this happened so that you can count the extra influence at game end?

Explorer – this has the same problem as the Know-It-All agenda card in the base game. It’s easier to accomplish the more players are in the game.

Stone Wall, Action Boy/Girl, and Intense Training – I assume you only get the +1 Influence if you place the 2 special tokens on these cards? Or do you get the +1 automatically? Reason I ask is because most of your new influence cards specifically say you get the +1 if there are 2 tokens on the card.

Here and Now – For the +1 influence for choosing not to gain any special tokens, do you just have to remember that you did this? Other than this card and Ferocious Loyalty, all of your other influence cards have you placing tokens on the cards so that you don’t have to remember whether you gained the +1 bonus or not.

Grim Reaper’s Sprint – May you use this ability as many times as you want (as long as you spend 2 special tokens each time)? Do you leave those tokens on the card or return them to the pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
gpritch3 wrote:
Very impressive work Nerdook! I really dig your idea to combine the influence and perk cards.

After looking everything over, though, I have several questions and a couple of comments.

In your explanation of your rules, you say at the beginning of the game, you draw 2 agenda cards and choose 1 to keep. You’re referring to your new influence cards here, correct?

With your new loyalty declaration rule, you say to take a token of the faction you’re declaring loyalty to and put it on your survivor board. What if all of the tokens of that faction are already in play on the board or have been taken by other survivors? What if you need to place a faction token in play on the board but all of them are either already on the board or on a player’s board because they declared loyalty?

Calm Before the Storm Event card – you just shuffle this into the exploration deck at the start of the game as normal, right?

Can you provide more info on the 'ammo tokens' that are on your new gun cards? Will this be a new token we'll need to find a proxy for? Can you buy more ammo?

Influence Cards:
Ferocious Loyalty – do you get the +1 influence automatically, or only if you would be killed and discard a companion instead? If this happens early in the game, do you just have to remember this happened so that you can count the extra influence at game end?

Explorer – this has the same problem as the Know-It-All agenda card in the base game. It’s easier to accomplish the more players are in the game.

Stone Wall, Action Boy/Girl, and Intense Training – I assume you only get the +1 Influence if you place the 2 special tokens on these cards? Or do you get the +1 automatically? Reason I ask is because most of your new influence cards specifically say you get the +1 if there are 2 tokens on the card.

Here and Now – For the +1 influence for choosing not to gain any special tokens, do you just have to remember that you did this? Other than this card and Ferocious Loyalty, all of your other influence cards have you placing tokens on the cards so that you don’t have to remember whether you gained the +1 bonus or not.

Grim Reaper’s Sprint – May you use this ability as many times as you want (as long as you spend 2 special tokens each time)? Do you leave those tokens on the card or return them to the pool?

Yep, the old agenda/influence cards are no longer used, so draw 2 and pick 1 of the new ones.

The aim is to modify the game with as little additions as I can get away with, so you're right that using existing tokens might be a problem. That said, my current "budget" is a new 54 card deck, so I might use some cards there to mark faction allegiance (top half security, bottom half freedom, for example) instead of the tokens.

Calm Before the Storm starts shuffled, yes.

I'm using caps for ammo, since it's plentiful. Feel free to use any other tokens if you have them, or those fancy acrylic bullets! At the moment there's no way to buy more, but weapons are worth the same regardless of ammo so you can sell it off and buy another gun. An upcoming random Scavenge card will let you refill ammo, too.

All Influence cards are worth 1 Influence by default, and only grant bonus influence after the condition to the right of the +thumb is met. Therefore: Ferocious Loyalty: you need to get killed, Stone Wall/Action Boy/Intense Training: you need to use the ability first.

Here and Now: just leave a SPECIAL token to remind yourself that you've gained the bonus. I mostly test this solo, but there's a possibility of running out of SPECIAL tokens in multiplayer, so feel free to use any tokens you want (or coins, or whatever) instead.

Grim Reaper's Sprint: return the tokens each time you use it, and you may use it as many times as you want (since it doesn't say Once Per Game).

Also, I forgot to mention that Influence cards with a SPECIAL attribute on the upper right can only be used if you have the corresponding attribute: otherwise, they are blank cards worth 1 influence, or can be discarded with a token when levelling up to gain that attribute instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
Update: I made some custom backs today for the new card decks, replicating the original design as closely as I can. I've converted all the cards to 57mmx88mm (bridge size) format to match the original cards from the game.

Event card backs:

Scavenge card backs:

Bonus: faction allegiance cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.