Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so I'm just throwing this out here. I like playing by the original rules as much as the next guy, and have never played with an unofficial variant rule before. So don't persecute me here everyone. But, for me Memoir 44 takes the advantage over BattleLore 2.0 by just a hair because setup is 15 minutes and play time is 30-45 minutes. And that is just about right for me with all the luck involved in command cards and dice rolling. I'm not saying there isn't plenty of strategy, but for me BattleLore2 does many things better than Memoir44 but takes 2 to 2.5 times the time, if you use do all the pregame decisions.

Two aspects of the app could be implemented to make BattleLore 2.0 still an amazing game, but shorter.

The first one is to just take one lore and one card at the beginning of each turn. This isn't a must and really won't save that much time. But it's one less thing to worry about. I actually like it better, even though one of the strengths of BattleLore is all of the different choices you make along the way. So I understand if you guys are like no on this one. I would be okay with leaving this one alone and having the three options during the Lore step.

But the next one though...

Taking the winning conditions from the app. Holding down a building until the end of your opponents turn, kill all of the enemy units, Light the torch on the three locations. All of the goals on the app are way more fun than the objectives in the boardgame. I mean the board game scenarios aren't boring, but the ones in the app seem so more dynamic and exciting. It would play way faster and get rid of the turtling on the 1 victory point locations. Does anybody else agree? Would anyone be willing to work with me to develop those scenario setups, or has anyone already done them? Don't murder me hardcore BattleLorers. I'm more of a Blood Rage, Kemet, and Cry Havoc kind of guy. But I love the production of BattleLore2 and am trying to get it to more closely compete with those guys. Just give me some constructive feedback or criticism on this. I want to see if I'm missing anything as to why this wouldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Olsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could easily set up something similar to the tactical objectives deck used in Warhammer 40k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for more thematic scenarios, have you tried the scenarios that come with the neutral units. They are very interesting. Additionally, you should check out the Scenario Builder on the FFG website. There are tonsof good scenarios there, I think, though I haven't played them because Ido love the scenario cards.

I don't think it would be difficult to port the app's missions over to the board game. In fact, I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already done that with the Scenario Builder.

It seems to me, though, that if you want faster setup and faster games, using alternate missions isn't going to make a noticable difference. What you really need are scenarios that have units already placed on the board. That way you just follow the set-up diagram and then start playing. The tricky thing there is finding balanced armies. Otherwise, just throw balanceout the window and have people switch sides and use margin of victoryto determine the winner, but then you've just increased play time again. It won't be easy to design balanced armies with unique scenarios, but I think it's absolutely doable. It will just take some playtesting to get things right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, part of what I really like about the game is the deckbuilding, army building, scenario selection, and secret army placement. But I'm telling you, the app scenarios are just so much more fulfilling that I would rather play the game with them. I think the time would be cut down, because you don't have to wait to get 16 victory points. But like you said I would have to try to verify. I will go to FFG and check out those scenarios though. Thanks for the info on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
Yeah, part of what I really like about the game is the deckbuilding, army building, scenario selection, and secret army placement. But I'm telling you, the app scenarios are just so much more fulfilling that I would rather play the game with them. I think the time would be cut down, because you don't have to wait to get 16 victory points. But like you said I would have to try to verify. I will go to FFG and check out those scenarios though. Thanks for the info on that.

If you browse the Scenario Builder, pages 7 and 8 have a bunch of BattleLore: Command scenario adaptations by Necrataal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just logged in to the snenario builder. Thanks guys for directing me in the right direction. Saved me a ton of work. Now I can just enjoy the fruits of others labor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the app plays quicker and more streamlined for you because, well, it's an app. If you translated those scenarios into the physical board game, would they really be that more dynamic (I haven't played the app) and play quicker?

Perhaps a promo pack of scenarios to shake it up? But that doesn't necessarily solve the setup problem. In that regard I can only suggest skipping use of Decoy cards, and/or using the pre-structured armies.

It's hard for me to imagine what you want to achieve for a significant difference in gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, I have difficulty addressing your problem of turtling because my play style avoids that issue (yippee ki yay mutha hugga).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree with you Taylor. You could be one hundred percent right. But I put out a question to see if anyone else had done it or thought about it. I got the answer I needed with all the phenomenal scenarios that have been created on the scenario builder. I do think that I will appreciate the straight forward missions of the app versus the "do this to get a victory point during your vp phase". But we will see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Norgard Campaign in the Files section. It's a campaign with fan made scenarios, with special Victory conditions and some fixed set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.