BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game to play with wife - Easy, quick to start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife is definitely not into complex strategy games. Games like ticket to ride reprensent to much the reality and are boring to her.

War of the ring is to strategic and complex

She likes a game that is easy to understand, quick to setup and to get into it. Have to have more of a chance element than strategy.

What would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Kingdomino. Tile laying with very straightforward rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sounds like any number of Roll & Write games might work.

Qwixx
Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama
Rolling America

For a start take a look at those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork

Lost Cities

Morels (fungi - new name)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Kingdomino
+1 Patchwork

I offer:
Quadropolis - tile-laying game where you build a city to score the most points
Paperback - deck-building word game
The Quest for El Dorado - deck-building race through a jungle
Odin's Ravens (Second Edition) - a racing game where you balance your own progress with messing up your opponent
Tides of Madness - quick, simple card drafting game for points (and madness!)

I also think co-ops work well for couples. I will suggest my favourite: Burgle Bros. about robbing a bank together and getting away clean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure - super quick setup, easy to learn, plays fairly quickly, and has dice so there's always some chance involved (but of course a bit of strategy too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco C
Australia
Meadowbank
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best I can offer is just to tell you what my wife's favourite games are:

* Sushi Go Party!
* Hooop!
* Patchwork
* Songbirds, AKA Songbirds
* Morels, AKA Fungi
* Paperback
* Harvest Island

They're all fairly simple to learn, but have a hidden complexity beneath the surface.

Fog of Love is loking really promising too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
listening to what you are saying about quick, easy to set up, maybe more chance than strategy... more that you think she would like

These may not be for a few on this more serious board game site, but may be a lot more up your alley (or her alley).

Sequence - about 90% luck. Relaxing game, very easy rules. basically zero set up. unfold the board, shuffle cards, start

Skip-Bo Card game where you just try to clear your pile. very simple, cards mainly play themselves outside of a few decisions here or there. Yet my wife and I find ourselves playing this when we are just too tired to even bother thinking much, and just want to chat and have a drink.

And maybe a few very slightly more complex games but still light in nature with easy rules:

Jaipur - whenever the topic of two person games comes up this is usually on the list. for good reason.

The Fox in the Forest - if you are into trick taking games, a fun twist

and maybe the ultimate in luck based, don't have to think much but classic - what about Yatzee (if you don't already have it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RYAN PAINTON
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I took a girl on a date to a board game night at a local games store last weekend. Her favorite was Onitama since it is like chess/checkers, but with cards telling you want moves you can use. Today I took Sushi Go to work and it was a big hit with the lunch crowd, but it is much better with 3+. Two player was not very fun. Maybe you could search out some games that are based around some of her interest. For example, for fishing (Coldwater Crown) or cycling (Flamme Rouge).

I hope you find something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Grimley
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stumbled across

Century: Spice Road

Easy to learn, plays quick. My wife enjoyed it. She’s also a big Splendor fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If (if...) you are thinking about Sushi Go, then spend the extra $ and get Sushi Go Party. Adds a number of cards AND includes the cards in the base Sushi Go game.

Having said that, I agree with the comment above that this is not the best two player only game. In fact it is much better with 3-4+ players. Don't get me wrong, I own it and like it a lot. But for primarily two player games there are better ones on the list above IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lost Cities is a great 2-player abstract card game that is very easy to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These have been known to work as gateways.

Carcassonne
Codenames
King of Tokyo
Catan
For Sale
Dixit
Pandemic
Sushi Go!
Diamant
Can't Stop

If you're looking for 2 player games:

Carcassonne
Pandemic
Sushi Go!
Can't Stop
Kingdomino
Coloretto
Splendor
Love Letter

The vast majority of people would find War of the Ring too complex, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan C
msg tools
My first ever reply on BGG!!

The two games that my wife likes (and she basically hates all things that aren’t instagram) are

Hanamikoji
And
Onitama

Really simple to play and set up. Good games to play whilst we also have a chat and a glass of wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, ok that is a long list. You guys gave me a lot to explore. I'll have a look at every one of them here on this site.

Thanks a lot for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
ONE MORE!

Unearth

Every turn you either 1. Roll a die or 2. play a card then roll a die. That's it. (Well, there is more but that's all I tell someone to get them started)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb

Well, so far I think Hoop! and maybe Diamant or Love Letter might be of interest to her.

Now the challenge is to make it fun for both of us. I am more of a War of the ring, axis and allies, Blood Rage this war of mine etc... type of guy.

Her favorite game is Sequence. She likes beating everyone at this game. I prefer beating everyone on a strategic game than a luck game ... yes I am a control freak!

I will try a few of your suggestions with her at our local "board game" pub.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor is good for people that want an easy game while also letting those of us that like deep strategy feel like we are making some important decisions in the game. It's a perfect balance for me and my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yannsolo1975 wrote:

Her favorite game is Sequence. She likes beating everyone at this game.

Hey, that was my first thought for you above (smile...). it helps that I think my wife is the exact same...

So not to repeat, but Skip Bo is like a $5.00 checkout lane game but one I think would be right up her alley.

Another idea - Las Vegas. They sell this at Target and I think I saw it at WalMart yesterday. It is called Vegas Dice game now though and comes in a square box like a die.

Link to target game:
https://www.target.com/p/vegas-dice-game/-/A-52172233#lnk=sa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rummikub
Battle Line
Lost Cities
Incan Gold
Coloretto
Farkle
Skip-bo
Mexican Train
Qwirkle Cubes
Kings in the Corner
Q-Bitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Lost Cities. Very simple and fun 2 player card game, wife and I love to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you’re down for a card game, Schotten Totten (aka Battleline) by Reiner Knizia, is an easy game to learn but contains a lot of strategy with a lovely helping of luck. It’s also nice looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemen Hrovat
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I took my girlfriend to the world of board games with Jaipur. We are now on Pandemic Iberia level. She even played Iberia by herself when I was away.

I think Jaipur would be perfect for you two to start with. But you will probably find it a little bit dry after a while like we did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Glad you liked a couple of my suggestions! A couple of others she might like are No Thanks! and Takenoko, which has a bit more strategy for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.