Popular Tags: underused_disclaimers [+] [View All]
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning - this is a long, petty, hypocritical and frankly unreasonable rant about something very unimportant. It was almost certainly a waste of my time to write, and it'll almost certainly be a waste of your time to read.

I've been laying low on BGG for a while, posting very little, and lurking on a lot more kickstarter-game forums.

I am *SO SICK* of sleeving threads. They drive me NUTS. I wish I could filter them out somehow, but I can't.

When did people get so weirdly anxious and entitled about sleeving? I've seen two separate threads on the Everdell forum about whether sleeved cards will fit inside the gameboard's draw pile holder. One of them intimated (jokingly, sure) that if the game couldn't be sleeved that was a reason not to back. Another post pretty much directly repudiated the designer's own advice that sleeves would fit, based on nothing but the poster's assumption (and perhaps a peculiar subconscious desire to stay anxious? Why, I cannot imagine).

The 7th Continent page is worse. In one thread, a post identified no less than five other threads about sleeves, not including another one the poster started later. In the former thread, one poster implied that the manufacturer had not provided detailed sleeving information, and had an obligation to do so (they already had, by the way). The OP basically said they didn't trust the manufacturer's advice, only to later backtrack having played the game, and say that advice was correct. In the latter thread the sleever claimed that card overlap made an optional purchase "unusable".

Then there's the thread I saw the other day (but can't seem to dig up again) where an argument raged about whether manufacturers had an obligation to make inserts that could house sleeved decks.

What the hell is going on? Seconds after a kickstarter opens there's fifteen threads titled "BUT CAN I SLEEVE MY GAME OMG!??!?!?! I WILL CRY/RETRACT MY PLEDGE/TAKE YOU TO COURT IF I CAN'T (crying emoji)" How are people this histrionic and entitled about sleeves, for heaven's sake? Life's too short, people! Nothing lasts forever, even if sleeved!

The constant drip, drip of anxious needling is annoying. The endemic failure to use the search function is annoying. The suggestion that a game is somehow unplayable is annoying. But asking a manufacturer to waste their time considering too-vocal sleevers - at the expense of people who don't sleeve components - is so ludicrous that I can't even think of a similie for it.

Maybe it'd be like performance car enthusiasts complaining that the engine bearings in an entry-level supercompact can't deal with the stresses of performance tuning, but that risks implying that I think sleeved games are better. I don't. I think sleevers are mad, and when they don't talk about it, it's a harmless mania easily ignored. When they do, it bothers me (albeit unecessarily and unreasonably).

But it implies all sorts of other questions. If you can't play a game that is unsleeved, how the hell do you live in a world to which the second law of thermodynamics, jokingly misapplied, applies? Are you really going to resell that game? Do you really fail to understand the difference between speculation and investment? (if so, I have some cryptocurrency to sell you). Don't blame it on "OCD" either - I know a few gamers with actual, diagnosed OCD and it doesn't result in them sleeving cards. Sure, it's possible that someone with OCD could need their cards sleeved - but there's a MASSIVE difference between being obsessive about things and failing to manage your compulsions, and having a disorder that makes your life unlivable.

Look, I do get it. I used to sleeve my CCG cards, until I realised that I was never going to sell them. When we were constantly rebuilding LCG decks, we'd sleeve cards to prevent wear and tear signalling a new or old card in a deck rebuild. But then I got over it. Do I like a pristine game? Yes. Am I sad when something gets spilled on my games? Yes. But have I also recognised that the time and effort and money used in sleeving a game could better be used a) buying more games, b) playing more games, and c) writing unnecessary polemics on the internet? YES.

Stop sleeving. Let the anxiety go. Use your hobby as a safe space to make peace with decay, loss, mortality, and the inevitable heat death of the universe. Sleeves - just say no.

Full disclosure: I once spent as much on a storage system for a game as I did on the game components themselves, and spent HOURS clipping the corners off the counters. I really do get the mania. So he who is without sin etc.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps start promoting legacy games as sleever rehab?

I'd say storage solutions are a different beast entirely and can be a valid need for some games. For sleeves however, I more like it for shuffling as it makes it much easier. That being said, I don't usually sleeve my games cause it's expensive and takes up a TON of space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
Stop sleeving. Let the anxiety go. Use your hobby as a safe space to make peace with decay, loss, mortality, and the inevitable heat death of the universe. Sleeves - just say no.

No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Boots01 wrote:

No

Come on! you can do it! just put down the unused sleeves and let your cards be FREE!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theseventensplit wrote:
Perhaps start promoting legacy games as sleever rehab? :D

This is such a good idea.

Quote:
I'd say storage solutions are a different beast entirely and can be a valid need for some games. For sleeves however, I more like it for shuffling as it makes it much easier. That being said, I don't usually sleeve my games cause it's expensive and takes up a TON of space!

Oh I totally agree, they're ace for shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theseventensplit wrote:
For sleeves however, I more like it for shuffling as it makes it much easier.

I used to be against sleeves until I saw how easy it was to shuffle with them. Now I sleeve about half of my games, but I don't get bent out of shape if the insert won't hold the cards. I either sort the game differently or find another storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Preaching to the choir breh. Anti-sleeve for life.
I have ONLY used them for playtesting when I have to print cards on paper and need to make them somehow identical.

I must admit, mash shuffling these is really enjoyable.

But not enough that I would sleeve something I didn’t ABSOLUTELY have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's important to sleeve. And not just cards but the rest of the game's components as well! I believe I will develop a line of game sleeves including board sleeves (prevent those spills!), dice sleeves (no more rubbed off icons and numbers), cube sleeves (painted wood is only one termite away from ruin!), meeple sleeves (they would be like little rain coats!), miniature sleeves (one step better than meeple sleeves and includes a matching hat!), and last but not least rule book sleeves (eat all the nachos you want buddy, I can now lend you my rule book without fear!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
They have that, it’s called a box

Stop playing your games! They belong in a MUSEUM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
... and last but not least rule book sleeves (eat all the nachos you want buddy, I can now lend you my rule book without fear!)

I did actually sleeve my ASL rulebook...

I knew a guy who would sleeve his cards and then heatseal the end of the sleeve to prevent stuff getting in the top. I thought that was next-level until I heard about people on BGG who DOUBLE-SLEEVE.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Boots01 wrote:
I am *SO SICK* of sleeving threads. They drive me NUTS. I wish I could filter them out somehow, but I can't.

You realize you just started a sleeving thread, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Boots01 wrote:

To be fair he called it out at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
EMBison wrote:
Boots01 wrote:

To be fair he called it out at the top.

Thank you for noticing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
I thought that was next-level until I heard about people on BGG who DOUBLE-SLEEVE.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END

Having come from MtG, wherein individual cards are often worth more than board games, I totally get double sleeving as a practice; it can preserve value. I also get wanting to take that practice from MtG to other games. I know a guy who worked for a prominent MtG affiliate, and he handled cards for a living. In his words, sleeving is "in his blood" for protecting his own cards. It's now a part of how he interacts with all his card games.

What I don't get is double sleeving without having come from that background. The value of a board game card is minimal compared to a MtG card. There just isn't a case to be made for it on the preserving monetary value end, and if you're preserving a game for sentimental value, you might as well buy a second copy of the game and keep it in shrink wrap and single sleeve the copy you're playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tldr.

Search function not being used is a problem with anything.

Some people have different body chemistry. There's nothing wrong with my hands but they'll wreck a deck of cards.

*shrugs*

My games would be destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:

Full disclosure: I once spent as much on a storage system for a game as I did on the game components themselves, and spent HOURS clipping the corners off the counters. I really do get the mania. So he who is without sin etc.

You're an anti-sleevetite. You're a rabid anti-sleevetite, Jerry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a beautiful ranT sir and I love you for it!

I LOLd, I smiled, smirked and wiped a bit of moisture from the corner of my eye.

I would post a salute emoji with fireworks going off in the background but..

A) it probably doesn’t exist, and..

B) I hate emojis as much as lunatic card sleevers.

THANK YOU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Levity was second only to catharsis amongst my motivations for posting :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:

I am *SO SICK* of sleeving threads.

Wow, that never occurred to me. What size do you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Boots01 wrote:

I am *SO SICK* of sleeving threads.

Wow, that never occurred to me. What size do you use?

I think you just won the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
Look, I do get it. I used to sleeve my CCG cards, until I realised that I was never going to sell them.

Last month, I sold a card for $800 that had been sleeved for its entire life. It was only worth a few dollars when I got it. I also lost out on about $1000 selling cards that hadn't been sleeved. I mean sure, people can be as renegade as they want and not sleeve. Speaking as someone who looks at cards that sold for $7000 and knowing it could have been $8500-$9000 if all of them had been sleeved, I tend to be pro-sleeving, particularly for games that might become hard to find or replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard about Magic the Gathering? I doubt..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danissimus wrote:
Have you heard about Magic the Gathering? I doubt..

I spent hundreds building a five-colour sliver deck in 2002 and never sleeved it. I'm sure the four sliver queens are worth some disgusting figure now, but I gave the deck to a 12 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started sleeving because someone started rapping my Inis cards against the table, it was not intentional, it ws just a figit behavior. Later, I noticed other people at the table doing the same, so I went home that night and bought some sleeves for those big cards. Well, cut to the chase, I discovered while sleeving Inis that it was a good thing to do while my wife folded laundry and we watched Netflix. I would say about half my games are sleeved. However, I am not fanatical about it at all. I just sleeved my daimyo pledge for Rising Sun, and now the cards do not fit in the box trays; big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing with sleeves is that they're addicting. I didn't care about sleeves for years, but then I discovered how much fun and quick mash shuffling is. I don't consider myself a sleever, but probably 50% of my games are sleeved now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.