Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all,

I'm developing a card and dice game for football and quite simply I need some feedback on:

a) The card layout
- The icons on the left need to be clear as do the numbers in the yellow
circles. The rest is not so critical to gameplay

b) The player's faces.
- Let rip, would you be annoyed with the quality of the artwork here?
Does it add to the card or detract from it?

c) Any other feedback - greatly appreciated.

I won't go into detail here about the mechanics here that's for another thread once I've got a print and play or similar ready to go.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the artwork so much, but I think they might look better without the hard black lines.

The card layout looks very unprofessional. The minimalistic white look can work, but it doesn't look good with the hard black lines and bright colors in the circles. Adding some texture might also tie it more into the soccer theme. A different font might help as well.

I do think the general layout works well. The numbers are clear and stand out from the rest.

Here's a really quick mock up I made of a face with a softer look. The grass background is just to show that adding some more color and graphical elements can make the cards look more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
msg tools
Very intrigued. Our BG group are huge football fans - this would certainly spark our interest.

Seriously love the style and background that Oloring produced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Great improvement there by Oloring.

Also, I think that clarity could be greatly improved by removing unnecessary wording.

e.g. VALUE: 170k becomes 170k, where it's obvious what that means.
Similarly, could the words DEFENCE, SKILL, GOALKEEPING, SHOOTING be replaced by simple icons or single letters, or even change the yellow circles to different shapes for each attribute? This refinement would be especially valid if these parameters always appear in the same place.

Please keep players' names and faces though. They provide great flavour, and I like the player artwork.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Awesome, thank you Oloring, that's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for, just taking out the black lines has improved the face. I am torn between cartoony and realistic in terms of the overall style and I think I've ended up a bit in between.

A textured background of some sort could work well, I'll play around a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you Highland Cow, I've deleted value already, it went from wage to value and you're right it doesn't matter whatsoever.

I've been toying with icons, shapes, shortenings like def, ski, sho or colours for the words but it just felt forced and if anything less clear.

Adwebb glad to hear you're interested, I'm genuinely enjoying play testing and introducing it to strangers every day. Touch wood, the feedback has been really positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Looking at your design I got some ideas how to improve upon it. I'm a graphic designer myself.
I can make you a mock up card to show you some things that could work better if you wish.

In, any case there are some 'tricks' that you can use during the production.
For instance, I've noticed that none of your soccer players is wearing a jersey. I would make few generic jerseys and use them on the separate layer, just changing the player's faces as needed. With a template that could save you time when making cards.
Central image is a boring solution, so I would push the soccer photo to the left, making the other half of the card a good spot for player's stats. Flag is not that important thus it should be small and placed somewhere near the soccer's photo.
Under the photo you can set his position and the special icons that are now under the 'fasisac' logo.

Defense, Skill, Goalkeeping and Shooting I would present with icons:
Defense: - shield with a soccer player silhouette in front.
Skill: - silhouette of a trophy cup
Goalkeeping: - silhouette of a player in front of the goal
Shooting: - soccer ball and the foot kicking it
Those can save precious space on the card.

So, do you want me to make that mock up card to show you the things I've described?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the feedback Bojan, it would be great to have a look at a mock up to give me some different ideas.

I've toyed with the picture on the left and got some feedback (only from friends and family) that got me to the layout as it is but definitely still open to any and all suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Well, this is what I had in mind:

I removed the 'value' thingy. Unless it is important? It can be placed somewhere on the card in any case...
I've also added some shading on the player's face. I think it improves the image.

From top to bottom icons are: SKILL, SHOOTING, DEFENSE, GOALKEEPING.
I think they are self explanatory, but you would probably had to add some explanation in the rule book what they mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Well, this is what I had in mind:

I removed the 'value' thingy. Unless it is important? It can be placed somewhere on the card in any case...
I've also added some shading on the player's face. I think it improves the image.

From top to bottom icons are: SKILL, SHOOTING, DEFENSE, GOALKEEPING.
I think they are self explanatory, but you would probably had to add some explanation in the rule book what they mean.

Just had to say that this is gorgeous. I would want to play with cards that looked like this. I think it's the gentle gradient and the complimentary yellowish orange icons on the right. The only things which are solid colors are the icons on the left. I'm still not a fan of the blue with the black icon overlayed. It's very difficult to read compared to the other icons. Not enough contrast I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Terenzi
United States
Revere
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Holy %@&^

It's scary how good and fast you made that. And I like what adwebb said. A Football game gets my group of friends hyped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bojan, that is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
And that's why you hire a graphic artist to do graphic layouts. Real nice job Bojan!

I'd be a bit concerned about the 'readability' of the six icons below the portrait due to their small size and lack of contrast. The over-saturated primary colours aren't doing your design any favours either. Maybe pick one colour (silvery light blue would be my choice, to tie in the same way the gold does with the right side of the card's background) + black icons for higher contrast and ease of recognition.

Presumably the "GDMS" letters are to show how good the player are compared to others? That information is being presented only in colour, which isn't accessible to those with colourblindness. I'd suggest adding 1/2/3 stars to the right-hand stats instead, perhaps curved around the right-most edge of the yellow tab to give the same information. Also has the side-benefit of decluttering the portrait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you all. Lot's of the feedback I wanted and especially thanks to Bojan. I'm sticking with my current design through playtesting and some initial posting for feedback but over the coming months I'll integrate many if the suggestions on colours, icons etc. to make the finished project as functional yet beautiful as can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noelle R.
msg tools
Hye Glyn!

Sorry if I'm late to the party, you know how that is.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on your original designs. The design that Bojan did looks excellent, but I understand if you want to stick to your own design - especially as the game grows and changes.

That being said, I think your general layout needs some tidying. If you take a look at what Bojan did a lot of what I am about to say will be illustrated in his image.

First the key thing to get across about your layout - as with design in general - you want to group like information and you want to emphasis important information while de-emphasizing information that is not as important.

For example, the flag of nationality of the player is given the same visual weight as the icons on the left indicating that they are just as important. Now, while I don't know how your game plays and maybe the flag is as important, I could say that maybe the flag needs to be given less visual weight than the icons as it seems more auxiliary information. That is, information that provides backstory to the character but isn't in itself important.

Next your number stats at the bottom are split along the bottom of the card. Visually, players from western speaking countries tend to read left to right, so that works. However, making it vertical helps us read the number stats of the player much quicker and tracks better. For a card game where quick thinking might be part of the strategy, especially if managing multiple cards or players, that will be much more beneficial than having the information spread across the card.

As far as the portraits go, art style of the faces isn't bad, however I would suggest if you are going for simplicity in the style of the character, maybe put a bit more detail in to the rest of the card. Having a big blank white card with simple text and primary(ish) colors, doesn't add any visual interest to the card and makes it look a bit boring.

And that brings up a point I wanted to make about the colors (sorry if this is getting long winded). This is something a friend of mine spoke to me about when designing cards for my own game. Keep in mind the contrast between colors and text and people who might have an issue distinguishing between them. Your orange and red are very similar in color, so the effect of differing the colors might not come across for a lot of people. So if you pick colors, to indicate separate stats, try picking colors that aren't as close together.

Additionally, for the orange and red (and even the blue icon) there isn't really much contrast between the background color of the icon and the image or text inside the icon. Black on red isn't as much contrast as white on red, or black on white. So think about that. Additionally, and this is my own personal thing, the yellow is extremely grating on my eyes. I'm a big fan of neon stuff, but it has to be in the proper color scheme to really work. I want the yellow to be a warmer yellow (add more orange to the color but not too much that it actually turns orange).

Think about your color scheme, what kind of colors you want to use instead of just picking contrasting colors. Think about what you want to overall scheme to look like, to feel like, and use colors that actively work towards that. As it is now the colors seem disjointed making the icons and text feel a lot less cohesive than it should be.

Otherwise, its a good start! I'm not really a fan of football or sports in general, but I like the idea you have so far and it looks like you put a lot of hard work into developing this game. I can certainly appreciate that :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
birblady thank you for the detailed feedback. I've taken it all on board with the other stuff from previous posts, especially what you say about what needs emphasising and de-emphasising. Helped me clarify what the point of the cards is - to make the game as fun as possible.

I will be working with a graphic designer in a couple of weeks who can hopefully make the cards 'sing' visually but going into that process with a clearer idea is really helpful. When I printed out cards for playtesting much of the same feedback came back about how clear the icons were to read and the colour blind unfriendly factor with different shading.

Here is a very quick mock up of what I'm leaning more towards now(just me playing with the card for layout purposes so not to a high standard. Feedback still most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoodleTeachLaugh wrote:
birblady thank you for the detailed feedback. I've taken it all on board with the other stuff from previous posts, especially what you say about what needs emphasising and de-emphasising. Helped me clarify what the point of the cards is - to make the game as fun as possible.

I will be working with a graphic designer in a couple of weeks who can hopefully make the cards 'sing' visually but going into that process with a clearer idea is really helpful. When I printed out cards for playtesting much of the same feedback came back about how clear the icons were to read and the colour blind unfriendly factor with different shading.

Here is a very quick mock up of what I'm leaning more towards now(just me playing with the card for layout purposes so not to a high standard. Feedback still most welcome.

I think this is an improvement, but I feel like there are too many gradients, or that the gradients are all going in different directions. The BG is on a brown gradient, the BG behind the portrait is a blue gradient, and all the icons are different gradients. Maybe the portrait BG can be a solid color, so we don't focus on it? Same with the numbered circles. Maybe they could be one color and the gradient sticks with the BG and the icons up top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Easy Alias
United States
falls church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say make the font as large as reasonably possible! Check out Neolithic and make it larger than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noelle R.
msg tools
DoodleTeachLaugh wrote:

This is much better layout wise. If you'll be working with a designer to fine tune the style of the card, then I won't harp on design choices much more. Layout wise it reads much better and looks much more unified :}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Update: With a little help (much of it from the people in this thread, then some from a graphic designer friend who showed me a few easy wins) I've got to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.