Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Received damaged games and was very mad initially rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
I think everyone has received at least one damaged game via mail order in their life.

I generally order with others and the parcels have about 10 or more games. Most times none are damaged or only have a slight nick.

Yesterday I received a parcel and it has two badly damaged games. I was really upset and I thought, how could they have missed a badly dented corner and a caved in box?

The rest of the games were intact. They told me it might be from postal people handling it. I doubt it but did noticed the games were not tightly packed as others.

To their credit, they are willing to pay return postage or give me a credit for the items that were damaged.

I will return one game and keep the other as it is OOS now everywhere.

Still don't like it as I'd rather have a intact box. Alas these things happen but with handling thousands of games, I could see some being missed if they are in haste.

It made me think, what type of quality control do they have and how can it happen when the damage was so visible?

I don't think I will order from them again and prefer to pay a little more at a place that packs their games better and has better quality control.

This is one advantage of buying from a brick and mortar store, though the prices are much higher.

I am not going to mention the OLGS as I don't want to hurt their business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it is rather unusual. I've purchased quite a bit from Funagain, Miniature Market, Coolstuff, Cardhaus, and Timewellspent as well as a couple of others.

The only times that I've had damaged games is when I've ordered a lot of stuff which has all gone into the same box and some of the smaller boxes with thinner cardboard have been damaged by games shifting around. Mentally I made a note to do smaller orders, especially with more delicate items.

When I contacted them about the damage they gave me a partial credit, which was probably the best solution.

Most stores will sell stuff as ding & dent if they see the damage before it goes into the box. I've never received anything that was damaged before it went into the shipping box. I think that you have a right to be unhappy about that.

When purchasing from private sellers on ebay, or through the BGG marketplace it's a whole different ballgame. Lots of war stories there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
autumnweave wrote:
Actually it is rather unusual. I've purchased quite a bit from Funagain, Miniature Market, Coolstuff, Cardhaus, and Timewellspent as well as a couple of others.

The only times that I've had damaged games is when I've ordered a lot of stuff which has all gone into the same box and some of the smaller boxes with thinner cardboard have been damaged by games shifting around. Mentally I made a note to do smaller orders, especially with more delicate items.

When I contacted them about the damage they gave me a partial credit, which was probably the best solution.

Most stores will sell stuff as ding & dent if they see the damage before it goes into the box. I've never received anything that was damaged before it went into the shipping box. I think that you have a right to be unhappy about that.

When purchasing from private sellers on ebay, or through the BGG marketplace it's a whole different ballgame. Lots of war stories there.

I've encountered some damaged games from MM and TimewellSpent in the past. Maybe it is in large orders that games get shifted around or maybe they missed it, but I'll never know the truth. My orders usually are medium to large to meet the free shipping. In any event they do compensate but it does no good when they are OOS and cannot replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazaro Borges
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:

This is the reason why I would have to be hard up for cash to ever sell on eBay again. The seller is responsible for refunding money at the drop of a hat for an unhappy sale, even if no refunds is stated in the sale. If it does not arrive in the condition stated or a wrong item, the dispute can be opened up and a refund will begin unless you have a work around. You could dispute it back and forth all day, but once Ebay has been notified, the seller will lose as Ebay is aiming for a great buyer experience in ebays market place.

Just a sellers experience that happened very recently. It was a positive experience on both parties, but I will caution what you sell and know that no refunds on your listing means nothing to Ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I am not going to mention the OLGS as I don't want to hurt their business.

which imho makes this post worthless...

... and in this case it sounds like giving their name would actually benefit their CS dept
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In tonight's episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only received one truly damaged game from Miniature Market and one miniature without an arm. Both of these items were the last one they had in stock. I now avoid ordering things from there labeled as only one left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I think everyone has received at least one damaged game via mail order in their life.

According to my records, which are meticulous, in 12,348 shipments of goods/items from someone to me (wherever I was at the time of receipt), I have never received a damaged item. Games would be a subcategory of goods/items, so one can conclude that I have never received at least one damaged game via mail order in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I've received damaged mail, and this has sometimes included a damaged USPS-posted package. If it's the fault of the shipper, I'm not going to get mad at the seller (though I've learned it's best not to get upset at all; it's just stuff, just try to resolve it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Problem was resolved I got a 15% discount on the damaged game and a return label to cine another back for free.

I think most large OLGS will do this for you. I just wish they be more careful in their quality control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens. It sucks, but it happens.

Just this week I received an out or print expansion - the post office had literally folded the box in half....sigh

If you absolutely must have a pristine box then either buy local, don't do a big order with free shipping and 10 games packed together, or resign yourself to return games that are damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.