The Hobbit» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Battle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Three of us ventured forward last night. As ever, this forum had boosted my knowledge and so I didn't spend the whole night with my head in the rule book.

Oops. A few times we advanced the Bilbo marker after bidding on cards other than travel cards. This meant event cards were remaining when we reached the adventure. We played on easy so this didn't become an hindrance.

We ran out of gems for the final few adventures. Seems almost commonplace, so that's ok,
We had provisions coming out of our ears. Probably due to some lucky Smaug card draws. There seem to be very few ways to lose them if you are winning adventures.

We emerged with just one question. Although the cards only ever show the shield die we assumed that's just a generic icon for any dice. A similar post exists but a little reinforcement wouldn't go amiss.

The game took about 105 minutes, longer than expected and that's with only reading some of the book quotes on the cards.

The dwarf card mechanic is unlike any other game I own and fights can be tense which is entertaining. A good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
SonicQuack wrote:

We emerged with just one question. Although the cards only ever show the shield die we assumed that's just a generic icon for any dice. A similar post exists but a little reinforcement wouldn't go amiss.

Yes, the dice symbol showing a green shield is the re-roll icon. Similar to the icons on the Cunning/Fox track on the player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonicQuack wrote:
We ran out of gems for the final few adventures. Seems almost commonplace, so that's ok,

We don't bother with the gems, and just hand out the adventure cards themselves for scoring. (Gems would be too easy to lose when playing away from home anyway.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Battle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for clearing those questions up. Second game should be a bit smoother

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Battle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SonicQuack wrote:
We had provisions coming out of our ears. Probably due to some lucky Smaug card draws. There seem to be very few ways to lose them if you are winning adventures.

Aha! Wasn't handing them in on provision rolls where we short on the dice. In fact, we were just counting our provisions as a value vs the adventure card. Made far more sense after a another play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.