Hide
7 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Bonsai Bonanza rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Collins
msg tools
Second play through, this time as bonsai. The strategy I used will work in any game with Ryujin in play. You want to dominate Ryujin so that you get potentially 9 extra season cards. How can you do that when you are lowest honour? The first season card you aquire should be Komainu. That’s really important. With a Komainu you have 4 Shinto. The threat of being able to boss Ryujin means you may not need to commit too much to actually do it.

Once you have established dominance you can focus on other things. Getting to three Strongholds means a single recruit can deploy all 4 Shinto. The easy access to monsters means you don’t necessarily need to focus on recruiting Bushi.

Following an Oni strategy in a 4-player I got over 90 glory. Collecting all 4 available Oni and get in both Winter upgrades nets 24 VP. In other card sets it might be better to go for virtues, or focus on strongholds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup, in our first play Bonsai heavily used that Shrine to end up with six monsters for a hefty bonus of 18 points from one Winter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That all sounds like great strategy. One other thing I was thinking about, after getting the shit kicked out of me as Bonsai, was that I shouldn’t accept the low honour place. If there is Amaterasu, some other source of honour, or just plain seppuku squading, I need to use one ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Rothwell
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The only problem with this strategy is it heavily relies on the existence of Ryujin. Without him, you're kinda screwed. You also probably won't have too much money for the war phase, even with Bonsai's ability, so protecting your few, big monsters from kidnapping will be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tod22 wrote:
The only problem with this strategy is it heavily relies on the existence of Ryujin

...It also heavily relies on being Bonsai Clan.
If neither of those things are true go for a diffrent strategy.

Although now I know if Bonsai and Ryujin are in the game to make sure I get Komainu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maebon wrote:
tod22 wrote:
The only problem with this strategy is it heavily relies on the existence of Ryujin

...It also heavily relies on being Bonsai Clan.

Well obviously lol. Why else would he post it titled 'Bonsai Bonanza'?

I think it's a great strategy, and the biggest flaw in it is actually dependent on player count rather than anything else. If you're Bonsai you're either going second to last or dead last no matter the game setup. Even if your higher Honor ally plays Train first there's no guarantees that you'll even have the opportunity to get Komainu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
To be fair I’ve seen Bonsai use this tactic heavily twice, and they didn’t win either time.

Even with six monsters on the board they couldn’t win enough Provinces. True they did leap from 4th to 2nd in Winter scoring, but 2nd still isn’t 1st. 😄

Oh and whether you accept low Honour or not is very dependent on whether you get the right Oni.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.