Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So some preliminaries.

We're very experienced Zombicide players and like to play it hard.
We skipped Black Plague so this was our first attempt at medieval.

It was the tutorial, it was 4 player and easy, so chose to play with 3 characters, though I don't think it would have made any difference.

First player moved and rolled to open door twice with her sword and failed.

Second player moved, rolled and opened, again with his sword.

First room, Walker, second Walker, third 2 runners then boom, there we have it: Abomination.

With only our starting weapons we decided to try and move round to get to the Trebuchet to take care of him. This was a mistake.

Now understanding that starting characters in Green Horde are a tad stronger than their modern counterparts (heroes vs norms, of course duh) we should have raided the room, picked up the blue X to destroy the 3rd spawn point and done a quick search. Or headed to the opposing room to get a search or two in.

Anyway. We started moving round getting to the water; only now realising how much this slows us down. 2 actions to move 1. The Archer, Johannes, gets split with a Fatty now in his way and only a 1 damage weapon and we draw Enter the Horde and are faced with this:

We decided to carry on, mainly to see what happens when we wipe.

Johannes at the back was soon dead, the runner finishing him.

Then we discovered the Shove ability. Once each turn, Berin can push for free, ALL zombies out his zone to an adjacent one. So he, and Seli let the horde come on to them, and pushed them behind. They whittled them down, eventually climbing up onto the nearby ledge where the horde couldn't reach.

At that point we decided to restart.

All in all some mixed feelings.

The Horde mechanic seems a tad OTT, a guaranteed extra zombie per spawn point into a buffer pool seems excessive and ramps up very quickly especially when opening buildings with lots of rooms.

Also not sure about Shove. Seems a little exploitative to be able to move a whole mountain or zombies out the way.

We did play again, 4 characters this time with the opposite start. First card opening the building was 'Enter the Horde' so to my understanding that ends the turn with no zombies. So we kitted up and found the level quite easy.

Will play again, possibly tonight. We also have to understand this is a different game to Modern Zombicide; as said, they're heroes from the off, not accountants with pans. My friend said he saw it as a half way house between Zombicide, which he loves and has bought, and Massive Darkness which he really didn't like. Me? I remember how much Zombicide changed once I had Dogs and Toxic Mall and knew the system, so I'm tentative but optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
smcshaw wrote:
The Horde mechanic seems a tad OTT

What is OTT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
smcshaw wrote:

What is OTT?

Over the top. As you can see in the picture, its a hoard of rotting flesh that suddenly gets on the board. Those minis look fantastic. Can't wait till my copy comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
That 4th survivor hide with the trebuchet to thin the horde could be an option since the beginning. But it'll make him get experience faster than other survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smcshaw wrote:

Just a quick point. Just in case you got it wrong.

A lot of people overlook the fact that you can roll as many dice as the weapon permits to open a door. A lot seem to only roll a single die (maybe because of the graphic on the card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a spell in the starting items that automatically opens doors, why would you ever not start with that?

Any hero can use spells.

I'm not sure the heroes are any stronger than BP ones (certainly not as OP as some in the BP guest boxes) but in our game we were fairly well fixed for 2 damage weapons which was always a problem in BP, dealing with fatties.

Playing with 3 heroes rather than 4+ probably made a difference.

Difficultly feels a bit harder than ZBP, and hedges and ledges mean you have to think more about movement.

In our intro scenario we kicked in the first door, dealt with the zombies (two fatties were a bit of a problem) then found some decent gear.

2 heroes stayed in that area taunting and noise making to bring the zombies, other two headed off for the siege weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also why wade through all that water and not jump directly in the water zone next to the trebuchet? Send in one survivor, he is out of line of sight on the trebuchet zone and using it does not make noise. The rest can take care of the rooms with the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Also why wade through all that water and not jump directly in the water zone next to the trebuchet? Send in one survivor, he is out of line of sight on the trebuchet zone and using it does not make noise. The rest can take care of the rooms with the objective.

Because we'd (I) hadn't fully read up on Hedges, and my friend and I presumed that was a barrier, and that a 'hedge' would be a special mention and something we'd need to add to the board. Not something already printed.

In hindsight, after revealing the Abomination in the first building we should have headed straight for the trubuchet, opening the smaller buildings and searching as we went.

Think we'll play this again, before moving on to the next mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
smcshaw wrote:

A lot of people overlook the fact that you can roll as many dice as the weapon permits to open a door. A lot seem to only roll a single die (maybe because of the graphic on the card)

Thanks, we weren't sure about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
smcshaw wrote:

What is OTT?

Over the top. As you can see in the picture, its a hoard of rotting flesh that suddenly gets on the board. Those minis look fantastic. Can't wait till my copy comes.

The minis are astoundingly good. Easily the most detailed I own (bar maybe KD:M but that's a different kettle of fish).

As others have mentioned though the runners are perhaps a tad difficult to pick out, especially when they're in a horde but it doesn't spoil things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
3 or 4 players makes a big difference, you gave up on 3 actions a turn, which was a third of your total actions.

Quote:
In hindsight, after revealing the Abomination in the first building we should have headed straight for the trubuchet, opening the smaller buildings and searching as we went.

I had an early Abomination as well, and a necromancer in the first building. But I had opened the door with the starting magic equipment (no dice needed) and was able to kill the necromancer plus two zombies with 3 of my dudes and take thee the objective. The fourth was send to the trebuchet immediately.
Turn 2 shoved the abomb back, searched a little and reached the trebuchet with my 4th.
Then I could shoot the trebuchet once each turn, killing of the red spawn zone on the first or second shot. After that with only one spawn left it wasn't as difficult to slowly advance and hold them at bay.
There seem to be a lot of enter the horde cards, so having one huge group (like in the picture) seems unlucky (didn't run the numbers though)
I hope you still had fun and give it another try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenbrain wrote:
3 or 4 players makes a big difference, you gave up on 3 actions a turn, which was a third of your total actions.

Quote:

I had an early Abomination as well, and a necromancer in the first building. But I had opened the door with the starting magic equipment (no dice needed) and was able to kill the necromancer plus two zombies with 3 of my dudes and take thee the objective. The fourth was send to the trebuchet immediately.
Turn 2 shoved the abomb back, searched a little and reached the trebuchet with my 4th.
Then I could shoot the trebuchet once each turn, killing of the red spawn zone on the first or second shot. After that with only one spawn left it wasn't as difficult to slowly advance and hold them at bay.
There seem to be a lot of enter the horde cards, so having one huge group (like in the picture) seems unlucky (didn't run the numbers though)
I hope you still had fun and give it another try :)

Yeah, most definitely.

A lot of the problems came from not being familiar with Green Horde nuances (hedges) and playing this slightly differently to regular Zombicide.

I am wondering how other expansions, with cards that don't add to the horde will change the dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ocampo
Germany
Lemgo
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
I just played the tutorial and wow that was hard...

i thought, ok it's the easiest one, so 3 Heros should be enought!
I got several ENTER THE HORDE! cards, which can skip all the spawning...
I ended up with 2 really big hordes directly next to each other and i didnt know what to do. So i send one hero to the Catapult and killed a lot of them (wow, that thing change a lot!). In the horde was the necromancer, so i couldn't get him and he escaped. A Abomination was there too, which was scary!

All in all here are my thought:
Catapult: great for experience grinding and sometimes needed, to hold the horde off (you'll run out of mini's fast!)
Pos: Let weaker heroes level up and is the hardcounter to the horde!

Seli:
I dont like "Jump", because it depends on the map layout and you cant jump over Hedges (or can you?).
But being able to hold a Curved Dagger, she is able to have a Norse Sword (1 Die, 2 dmg) with a Norse Shield (+3 dices for the Norse Sword) and a Curved Dagger (+1 Die) making here a beast with 5 Die's and a 2 Dmg Weapon!
I got here to 41 XP and i think with the red skill "Roll 6: +1 Die Combat" will make here a extremely strong melee fighter. She dont need +1 DMG (like some of the special Guest have), because Green horde has better Equipment for Melee fights.
Result: really Strong melee fighter, fast but tends to miss some armour.

Johannes:
Dat boy can make an easy early game (witch is realy short in Green horde). Transmutation helps getting some good items fast but is later useless. His skill to "+1 die roll: ranged" makes him really strong with a crossbow. I like it, pretty well balanced.
Does +1 Die roll works on the Catapult?
Result: Strong Ranged hero, helps early game and is still strong lategame, but dont put him in melee!

Rolf:
"Bloodlust: Melee", what a nice skill to have. That guy got a Norse Sword with a Norse Shield pretty quick. He was the fastest leveling hero but he needs some armour. I got him to level 40 (Seli catches up at orange fast)
Result: Weaker Melee hero than Seli for pure kills, but he's still strong and able to run into a small Horde! Just give him some armor

All in all: The Item-Combos are really good and helps a lot getting to the fighting side of zombicide and less looting. You get faster XP because there are more zombices (Horde helps here a lot) and some heroes that cant kill many zombices can be helpt with the catapult.
Really good!

Now i want a big map with lots of vault weapon and a mix of Black Plague and Green horde! The new Minis are really well made too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RalMakadonia wrote:
Seli:
I dont like "Jump", because it depends on the map layout and you cant jump over Hedges (or can you?).
But being able to hold a Curved Dagger, she is able to have a Norse Sword (1 Die, 2 dmg) with a Norse Shield (+3 dices for the Norse Sword) and a Curved Dagger (+1 Die) making here a beast with 5 Die's and a 2 Dmg Weapon!
I got here to 41 XP and i think with the red skill "Roll 6: +1 Die Combat" will make here a extremely strong melee fighter. She dont need +1 DMG (like some of the special Guest have), because Green horde has better Equipment for Melee fights.
Result: really Strong melee fighter, fast but tends to miss some armour.

LoS is required for Jump. I don't believe you can jump over hedges.

Also you can only use two items when resolving an action... This means that you cannot get the bonus from the dagger if attacking with the shield and the sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ocampo
Germany
Lemgo
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Oh really?
i thought having an item gives the bonus effect.
:/
Then i think she's a bit worse with jump and that dagger if you find the Norse-Combo fast. On the other hand, i didnt got any vault items, which changes the powerlevel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
Can anyone deliver an analysis of Megans Doublecastin ?
& why yall call the Catapult trebuchet ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Raps
Netherlands
Vlijmen
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EasyLover wrote:

Uhm, because it is a trebuchet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapseflaps wrote:
EasyLover wrote:

Uhm, because it is a trebuchet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil T
msg tools
mb
skritter wrote:

Have they changed this mechanic in Green Horde? That’s not how it worked in BP. You only roll one die with your door opening weapon. You don’t get any of your weapon attack die, dual wield or item bonuses as it’s not a melee attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pheeel wrote:
skritter wrote:

Have they changed this mechanic in Green Horde?

No, they haven't.

Quote:
That’s not how it worked in BP.

Yes, it is.

Quote:
You only roll one die with your door opening weapon. You don’t get any of your weapon attack die, dual wield or item bonuses as it’s not a melee attack.

You do get the attack dice. You don't get any other bonuses from skills, dual-wield, daggers, etc.

Like Skritter said, a lot of people get this one wrong. I did too, at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pheeel wrote:
skritter wrote:

Have they changed this mechanic in Green Horde? That’s not how it worked in BP. You only roll one die with your door opening weapon. You don’t get any of your weapon attack die, dual wield or item bonuses as it’s not a melee attack.

p.19 of the Black Plague rule book states... "Spend an Action and roll as
many dice as the weapon’s Dice value"

If you are attempting to open a door with a great sword, you can roll 5 dice but must roll at least one 5 to successfully open the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So, the survivor shooting the trebuchet gets the experience from what zombies he kills? The rules just call this a siege weapon and that it doesn't follow combat rules, i didn't see anything that states you get experience for zombies killed. In our gameplay experience we received experience, if not, the game would have been much more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil T
msg tools
mb
That’s hilarious. Here I am trying to correct someone with my first post and it turns out we’ve been playing it wrong in our group all along. We remembered the bit about not applying the bonuses but failed to get the first part right. 😂

Not to side track it too much, Thanks for the write up OP! Interesting to hear your groups point of view coming directly from the modern Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Gill
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
waxbottle wrote:
Pheeel wrote:
skritter wrote:

If you are attempting to open a door with a great sword, you can roll 5 dice but must roll at least one 5 to successfully open the door.

So does this mean you can or cannot open a door using the dual wield feature?

Can you or can you not use item bonuses such as Norse shield + Norse sword for opening doors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theironmouse wrote:
waxbottle wrote:
Pheeel wrote:
skritter wrote:

So does this mean you can or cannot open a door using the dual wield feature?

Can you or can you not use item bonuses such as Norse shield + Norse sword for opening doors?

You cannot. Opening a door is not a melee action and does not benefit from dual wielding or melee bonuses. You do get as many dice as the (single) weapon's dice value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.