Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Brass: Lancashire» Forums » General

Subject: Brass Lancashire vs. Brass Birmingham: Which plays better at 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Snuffles
msg tools
Hello everyone!

After lots of research I can't find any concrete information on which game plays better with 2 players. I've read that Birmingham has been developed with 2 players in mind but I can't find whether or not Lancashire uses the same mechanics of Birmingham.

99% of my games will always be as 2 player with my SO. While I accept that my experience with either Brass will be diluted because of this, I would be great if there was more information regarding which game plays best as a 2player game.

I also understand that since Birmingham is a new game that this will be a difficult question to answer, but I really felt compelled to ask.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancashire as it will have 2 different modes on how to play 2 players. One is a 2-player specific map (popular fan-made one from back in the day) and I believe the other, you use the full map, but remove certain cards from the deck. Assuming I'm recalling correctly. I believe Birmingham will only have one map and you will remove cards based on player count.

Only playtesters can really know how well Birmingham will play with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snufflesmurf wrote:
I also understand that since Birmingham is a new game that this will be a difficult question to answer, but I really felt compelled to ask.

Brass: Birmingham isn't a new game, it's a game that doesn't exist, yet. As such, I think it goes beyond difficult to answer into impossible to answer.

However, there are plenty of people who enjoy Brass as a two player game using the shrunken map variant. Considering the public reception to Roxley's two player rules for Brass were less than spectacular by Brass players trying them out with their pre-Roxley Brass games (leading to last minute changes to them and the inclusion of the shrunken map), I don't have high hopes for them in Brass: Birmingham (which I don't have high hopes for in general, which is why I only pre-ordered the new edition of Brass, without Brass: Birmingham).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Tabet
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I've never played them, but you can try Birmingham on Tabletopia if you want, it's free, you just need to register.

https://tabletopia.com/games/brass-birmingham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire will have two different 2-player options.

Option 1: smaller map, smaller deck. One side of the board will have the smaller map that was developed, playtested, & approved by the gaming community. It’s well-known to be a great 2-player experience.

Option 2: full map, smaller deck. The Roxley guys also developed a variant which leaves you all the options of the full map, but a modified smaller deck that still drives the action toward the same regions that are on the option 1 map. I’ve played this several times & I think the experience is just as good.

Brass: Birmingham (unlike Lancashire) was built from the ground up to be scalable from 2-4 players. Depending on the player count certain cards & market tiles will be pulled from the starting set up. Also, certain market spaces on the board will be closed according to player count, which will drive the action toward other regions of the board.

So, I think B:L is more of a time-tested, sure thing. I imagine B:B will also be good, but it hasn’t been in community hands (other than Tabletopia) for consensus to develop.

I ended up getting both through Kickstarter, but I wasn’t specifically considering them as primarily 2-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really speak for either since I've only played Brass Lancashire on the app. But one thing I seem to recall and very much appreciate is the designers collected the data, I think from Tabletopia, and used that to make the changes on Lancashire. So if anything Lancashire will be a better game that it already may be; multiple options for two player and improved (no matter how minor) 3+ play.

As for Brass Birmingham, since the was a ground up game we really won't know until it has been around a while. New games often get high marks from fans, but time tends to bring things back to reality. But I do expect good things since they started form a good place having Lancashire plus playtesting. My fingers are crossed and my hopes are high.

I occasionally play Euro-games (as opposed to Ameri-games) but this may be my first purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also waiting for an answer to this question. I backed both (the savings were too good to pass up) and will likely sell which ever game is inferior two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually preferred new 2p Lancashire rules, as it leads to a little more diversity in strategy by expanding into the marginal regions of the map, which felt a bit more like the 4p game. It also required a different hand management strategy, which could be appealing for variety if you also get to play 3p-4p. But... you get both rule sets; try both and find the one(s) you like.

That said, I felt the main utilities of 2p were to teach the game and allow playing the game when the third & fourth players were missing. So I may not be the best advocate for 2p Brass in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they published the updated rules for Lancashire and Birmingham?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Yes, a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Yes, a long time ago.

Where can I find the PDF? Can you provide a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Hawke wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Yes, a long time ago.

Where can I find the PDF? Can you provide a link?
You can try these; I think they're the latest official rules:

Birmingham
Lancashire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TooOld4Games2 wrote:

Birmingham
Lancashire

Thank you, I'll look them over. They are, though, on someone's Gooogle Drive, I'm wondering if there is anything official from the Publisher/Developer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
TooOld4Games2 wrote:

Birmingham
Lancashire

Thank you, I'll look them over. They are, though, on someone's Gooogle Drive, I'm wondering if there is anything official from the Publisher/Developer?

These are the links Roxley posted on the 18 October update, subject to any corrections.

https://roxley.com/brass-lancashire-rulebook
https://roxley.com/brass-birmingham-rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.