Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Troyes» Forums » General

Subject: Problems combating events and building cathedral in 2 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Do others notice that in 2 player games the events really stack up and cause problems (loss of dice due to countering black dice, other penalties)? We found that the events really piled up to the point it seemed extreme.

Is this generally more manageable in a 3 or 4 player game because more players are contributing to combating them?

Similarly, the Cathedral just isn't getting built out very far. With more players, I assume it is easier to fill in the levels of the Cathedral and avoid the end game point penalty.

It seems that events and the cathedral is not "tuned" to the number of players in the game. There are more rounds in a game with more players, but that's it as far as I see.

Maybe we just had a dud game where the activity cards didn't synergize well. Money was very difficult to come by. Just curious others impressions. I have not played at 3 or 4 yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I misunderstood the Cathedral? I thought you only needed a single cube on each level, so 3 cubes minimum to avoid the negative points.

I have not had issues with the events in my few 2p games though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya...sounds like you may have had a dud. You can definitely get combos going with the red cards to knock out Events at a rapid pace. And while we don't ever fill out the entire cathedral, we can usually both fill out enough so we don't get the penalties. There might be a game or two where one of us misses the top row...but it's not that big of a deal.

I think this game scales pretty well with two, and we really enjoy it. Just give it another shot, and maybe the Activity cards will come out a little more synergized next time
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Money can be tight depending on the activity cards that come out. I've played this game a bunch and find it virtually flawless in 2p. You only need 1 cube in a row to avoid the penalty.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I haven't experienced this. Each game varies based on many things, such as which end-game characters are in play, activity cards, and events. There are just as many dice in play with each player count, and since dice determine the actions, it should be fairly similar across player counts.

Your play style could be the reason why the events aren't getting countered, perhaps. Maybe you two are more reluctant to "help" each other counter these and give the other points, even when you'd get points as well. Can't say for sure, but it might be worth trying to focus more on countering these.

You also get points and influence for building in the cathedral, so there is more benefit than just the end-game points. Also, remember you can use up to 3 dice in a single action (for everything except placing a meeple in a building), so 3 white dice gets you 3 cubes in the cathedral all in a single action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Thanks for the replies!

I did misunderstand the Cathedral rules with respect to going up levels. I thought an entire level needed to be filled before being able to place any cubes in the next level up. But looking at the rules again I see it says:

Quote:
You must respect this construction rule: In order to place a cube on a space in a level, the same-valued space in the lower level must exist (note: there’s only one cube per space).


As far as events, I think we were perhaps too reluctant to cooperate. And this was compounded by a scarcity of dice pips, money, and influence. Maybe we just got a little unlucky. Will try again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about any time you can get 3 white dice with the same pip count it's worth building in the cathedral. 9 points and 3 influence (or 6 if the die is >3) for 3 dice is pretty good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye on how the events resolve and who gets credit vs who gets points.

The first person to hit the event gets 'credit' when it's completed (and so has a value to seeing it finished regardless) and the person with the most cubes gets the higher points.

This changes the incentives a bit if there was a misunderstanding in how credit/points were handled for the events.


Misremembered the rules - first cube is important for resolving ties only, sorry!

ActualRules wrote:
the player who placed the most cubes takes the event
card (if it is the neutral player, the card is discarded). In
the case of a tie, the tied player who placed cubes on the
card first wins. The cards can gain you VP at the end of
the game when the characters’ missions are evaluated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Just about any time you can get 3 white dice with the same pip count it's worth building in the cathedral. 9 points for 3 dice is pretty good.


And influence, too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Just about any time you can get 3 white dice with the same pip count it's worth building in the cathedral. 9 points for 3 dice is pretty good.


And influence, too!


Just edited!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Keep an eye on how the events resolve and who gets credit vs who gets points.

The first person to hit the event gets 'credit' when it's completed (and so has a value to seeing it finished regardless) and the person with the most cubes gets the higher points.

This changes the incentives a bit if there was a misunderstanding in how credit/points were handled for the events.


If by credit you mean who gets the card, then you have it wrong. The player that places the most cubes gets the higher VP and gets to take the card. If there is a tie for most cubes, then the tied player who placed the earliest cube gets the card.

But placing a cube first if you don't have the most does not get you the card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Keep an eye on how the events resolve and who gets credit vs who gets points.

The first person to hit the event gets 'credit' when it's completed (and so has a value to seeing it finished regardless) and the person with the most cubes gets the higher points.

This changes the incentives a bit if there was a misunderstanding in how credit/points were handled for the events.


If by credit you mean who gets the card, then you have it wrong. The player that places the most cubes gets the higher VP and gets to take the card. If there is a tie for most cubes, then the tied player who placed the earliest cube gets the card.

But placing a cube first if you don't have the most does not get you the card.


Yeap, went back to look, first placement is for resolving ties. Fixed above
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a small post to say that I do not think that the numbers of players changes anything about the events because whatever the player count the same number of dices are launched each turn. On the contrary, each player tends to have more dice of each color which makes it easier to combat an event in a few turns.

It looks like it depends more on group thinking ... but indeed if players do not fight events they accumulate and players can do less things with their dices due to negative effects of events, and thus ... it becomes more difficult to fight events while doing something else ... and ...

The cathedral is easier to fill at more player counts because there are more rounds
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
...As far as events, I think we were perhaps too reluctant to cooperate. And this was compounded by a scarcity of dice pips, money, and influence. Maybe we just got a little unlucky. Will try again.


Also remember that if one person completes an entire event card on their own, they get both of the point values on the card. So, if your opponent starts to combat an event, it is to your benefit to finish the card, even if you get the smaller points, to keep them from getting all of the points (and the influence).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.