Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reports are a person in the garbage truck died so maybe hold off on the snark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty bad from pictures. My first thoughts were: there must be a crossing signal at least, I know our infrastructure is bad but not that bad. Also, what are the security procedures in place if Congressmembers are attacked by terrorists on a train (I don't think this is likely at all but just wondering)? Third, will Congress have more impetus to look into our many infrastructure issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, the driver of the truck was killed. One of the two passengers on the truck was seriously injured. A couple minor injuries on the train. No word on the cause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/01/3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
But trust the lunatic right to go full BirtherBenghazi on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously tragic for those involved - but why post about it????

Seem like a local news story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

It was a large delegation of Congress members? That's not really "local".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn it I need to re-focus on that game I'm working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

It was a large delegation of Congress members? That's not really "local".

seems like the reason this was posted had more to do with "Republican" than anything.

Why is this newsworthy for this board? What is the OPs thought on this? Do we post on all train wrecks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

Why is this newsworthy for this board? What is the OPs thought on this? Do we post on all train wrecks?

The softball has been lobbed. Who will rise, and seize the moment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
seems like the reason this was posted had more to do with "Republican" than anything.

That seems pretty ridiculous. Do you think he was implying Republicans were operating the train and somehow caused the crash? Or was he attempting to embarrass Republicans with paragraphs like:

Quote:
Immediately after the crash, Cole said, many members who are also doctors tried to leave the train to render assistance to the three men who were on the trash truck. Security officials on the train discouraged them from getting off the train, he said, but ultimately several members left the train including GOP Reps. Michael Burgess (Tex.), Brad Wenstrup (Ohio), Phil Roe (Tenn.), and Roger Marshall (Kan.).

“They were very insistent,” Cole said. “Anybody who had any (medical) training was moving quickly.”

I'm not sure how this could be "about Republicans". It's neither embarrassing nor blameworthy towards the train passengers. It's noteworthy because it was a fatal accident involving a large group of Congress members and at the time it was posted there was almost no information on injuries or fatalities.

So unless someone is standing behind you with a gun telling you which threads to read and comment on, perhaps you could just exercise some discretion and save yourself from the trauma of coming into a "non-noteworthy" thread multiple times to reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more of a thoughts and prayers thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I'm not sure how this could be "about Republicans". It's neither embarrassing nor blameworthy towards the train passengers. It's noteworthy because it was a fatal accident involving a large group of Congress members and at the time it was posted there was almost no information on injuries or fatalities.

Then why mention it in the title? why not congress people? Plus the poster has a certain bias against the GOP.

Quote:

So unless someone is standing behind you with a gun telling you which threads to read and comment on, perhaps you could just exercise some discretion and save yourself from the trauma of coming into a "non-noteworthy" thread multiple times to reply.

because I am trying to understand/see if I am missing something? Perhaps there is a reason why we discuss train wrecks? Perhaps I am trying to elevate the overall quality (as I see it of course) YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
dkearns wrote:
This is more of a thoughts and prayers thread.

It's far too soon to discuss railway safety, you know.

The NPR coverage mentioned some of the Republicans involved were doctors, and helped with the injuries as soon as they could get out of the traincar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
What is the OPs thought on this? Do we post on all train wrecks?

I'm the OP. There were a bunch of congressmen on the train, including the Speaker of the House. So this train wreck is more extraordinary than others just by who was on the train.

When I first posted there were no indications that anyone was seriously hurt so I saw an opportunity to post something funny. And it was funny, until someone pointed out that someone died so I pulled the funny joke.

Don't worry Chad, your Republican Congressmen are safe and sound at their luxury resort in White Sulphur Springs. Let's just hope they do not need to use the vast underground bunker facilities there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee S
United States
Crozet
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I live approximately 1/4 mile from the scene of the accident, I cross over the intersection every day on my way to work. There are gates and lights on the crossing, I am not certain as to how (or why) the garbage truck would be on the tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Raithe wrote:
I live approximately 1/4 mile from the scene of the accident, I cross over the intersection every day on my way to work. There are gates and lights on the crossing, I am not certain as to how (or why) the garbage truck would be on the tracks.

I drive over a train track every day on the way home. It has lights + gates that come down, at a reliable interval because it's a commuter light rail line. I still see cars/trucks regularly think they have "just enough" room for them on the other side of the track when we're stuck at the red light ahead of the line.

No-one's been over it when the lights go down, but one of these days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone had Fox on at work during break. I heard more prayers offered up for this 'tragedy' in 30 minutes than I have heard for Peurto Rico since the hurricane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Then why mention it in the title? why not congress people? Plus the poster has a certain bias against the GOP.

Quote:

because I am trying to understand/see if I am missing something? Perhaps there is a reason why we discuss train wrecks? Perhaps I am trying to elevate the overall quality (as I see it of course) YMMV.

Uh. Because a bunch of republicans were on the train? You are way off base here imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

Read the snarky title again. It will come to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Read the snarky title again. It will come to you.

Thanks - like I admitted up front, I may have been missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.