Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the expansions will be made available again? It seems the base game is having a new push as I've been able to get a copy and have seen several copies at a couple local shops. I'd never seen a copy before and have seen multiples recently. If the base game is getting a new push or reprint, does anyone know the if the expansions will be as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone from PG may give you a better answer, but in the last KS (due to deliver in a few months time iirc) the reprints included:

- the core box
- all the faction expansions
- some of the independents (azathoth & terrors)
- high priests
- plastic gates
- only map pack was Earth 6-8 player

I probably forgot some, and didn't include the new creations for OS3, but I imagine that these will be in retail (and from PG) again sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading somewhere that PG can't realistically afford to keep reprinting all the expansions, hence why not all were available in OS3. We shall see what happens in future, because the demand is certainly there for reprints of things like the maps, but it would have to be financially viable for PG.

On a *totally* unrelated note... if anyone reading this has a 6-8 player Primeval Map they'd be willing to part with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
I really hope they do reprint kickstarters if nothing else. Theres talk OS3 is the last one, which wouldn't be awful, considering how much content we have. Sadly boardgames can only get so large.

But I'd still love to see reprint Kickstarters, maybe with some addons for alternate sculpts or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raught19 wrote:
I really hope they do reprint kickstarters if nothing else.

I don't want to shoot down your neat idea, but unfortunately Kickstarter policies don't allow projects that are pure reprints:
Kickstarter handbook wrote:
Prohibited Items
[...]
Projects that share things that already exist, or repackage a previously-created product, without adding anything new or aiming to iterate on the idea in any way.
[...]
(Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/rules/prohibited?ref=bggforums)

So the campaign would have to offer new content of some sort along with the reprinted items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vega
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Raught19 wrote:
I really hope they do reprint kickstarters if nothing else.

I don't want to shoot down your neat idea, but unfortunately Kickstarter policies don't allow projects that are pure reprints:
Kickstarter handbook wrote:
Prohibited Items
[...]
Projects that share things that already exist, or repackage a previously-created product, without adding anything new or aiming to iterate on the idea in any way.
[...]
(Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/rules/prohibited?ref=bggforums)

So the campaign would have to offer new content of some sort along with the reprinted items.

There are other sites like indiegogo.
What if petersen games would switch to an alternative "kickstarter site".

Also i don´t understand why kickstarter don´t allowing this.
A small company like petersen games who i think would need kickstarter for a reprint.
on the other hand. a company like CMON which absolutely doesnt need to crowdfunding games.... you know what i mean?

Hard for me to explain. my english suxx....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, I know exactly what you mean.

I haven't looked into Indiegogo's rules (or other crowdfunding platforms) yet, they might indeed allow pure reprint projects. However, Petersen Games would then have to convince their established customer base to migrate to a different funding platform, which might not be easy ...

Regarding Kickstarter's terms, I think I understand why they have installed the rule we're discussing here: They want to be seen as the place where new ideas are presented to the public, and reprints would somewhat contradict that image, especially if the number of reprint projects at some point exceeds the number of 'original' projects.

Personally, I'm also not a huge fan of how CMON uses Kickstarter. For them, it's obviously mostly a way to bypass retail, thus increasing their own profit margins. And it's unclear how much of this financial advantage is passed on to the backers/customers. However, technically they're 'playing by the rules' ... and in fact I think that Kickstarter has no real interest in stopping CMON's practices, since their projects generate a huge amount of traffic (and fees) for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Personally, I'm also not a huge fan of how CMON uses Kickstarter. For them, it's obviously mostly a way to bypass retail, thus increasing their own profit margins. And it's unclear how much of this financial advantage is passed on to the backers/customers. However, technically they're 'playing by the rules' ... and in fact I think that Kickstarter has no real interest in stopping CMON's practices, since their projects generate a huge amount of traffic (and fees) for them.

They don't use KS to bypass retail, since all of their games that originated as KS campaigns have also been released to retail. They also pass the additional profits from bypassing the normal retail chain onto KS backers - For example, The Others included over $200 of expansions at no extra cost to KS backers. Rising Sun included two expansions at no extra cost. This is on top of all of the KS exclusive content they throw into their campaigns.

Hard to understand having an issue with their KS practices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
They don't use KS to bypass retail, since all of their games that originated as KS campaigns have also been released to retail. They also pass the additional profits from bypassing the normal retail chain onto KS backers - For example, The Others included over $200 of expansions at no extra cost to KS backers. Rising Sun included two expansions at no extra cost. This is on top of all of the KS exclusive content they throw into their campaigns.

Hard to understand having an issue with their KS practices.

Sure, that's the other way to look at it: If CMON had gone through retail with their miniature-heavy games, it would have been impossible to offer them with this admittedly immense amount of content at the same price point. From a consumer's point of view, their KS approach has definitely been a huge benefit.

However, I think that CMON's KS projects are at this point no longer true to the spirit of crowdfunding, which I'd paraphrase somewhat romantically as "help us make our dream come true, because without your financial support this cool thing will never ever exist". I'm fairly sure that CMON is by now in a financial position that would allow them to publish games in the traditional way via retail, just like, say, FFG/Asmodee does it with games like X-Wing or Imperial Assault (i.e. dozens of fairly cheap micro-expansions, which add up to a ridiculously high overall bill for completists). Please note that I'm not saying that the FFG/Asmodee way is better or worse in any way (but from a customer's point of view, the current CMON method is most likely giving you more stuff for your buck than the FFG method).

To make it absolutely clear: My silly dislike for CMON's way of using Kickstarter is based on nothing but my personal preferences, and as such it's purely irrelevant for a large number of people on this planet and their decisions on how to spend their money.

And just as a tiny aside, which has little to do with the points both you and I are trying to make here:
pkreynolds wrote:
They don't use KS to bypass retail, since all of their games that originated as KS campaigns have also been released to retail.
I HATE to prove you wrong here, but there has been at least one KS campaign for a CMON game that will apparently never come to retail.
(Sorry, but I couldn't let that chance for a lame pun pass.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Petersen Games still has plenty of ideas for CW that could mean a new KS! Sandy Petersen KS'ed a Pathfinder supplement that allowed purchase of CW miniatures (though not expansions). SP is also on the board of directors of Chaosium, *the* publisher of Call of Cthulhu, so could publish some CoC adventures that used the CW base game and/or expansions. And, while a straight reprint isn't allowed, there are plenty of ways of getting around the restriction, such as revisions, alternative sculpts, etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Remus
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I actually reached out to Petersen games- because a local retailer was told “March” and obviously that’s come and gone.

They said that ONS3 will get to retail after the latest KS is completely fulfilled. That looks to be June or so. I’m guessing whatever extra there is at that point will go to retail, and possibly they will make more beyond that? They weren’t clear on details, but they did say ONS3 would hit retailers after it got to backers, so that sounds like there is a plan to send to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.