Sebastien Montagne
France
Maisons Laffitte
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
7:00pm sharp ! Just arrived on time with a friend ! I use to spend some time in tabletop game shops but I didn’t know this one. Nice place by the way. Nice people thanks to them I will be back.

Looking around me to find a table, first question which table? I checked the different table and on one of them I saw a new HEX that I haven’t seen before with a the shape of a wall design on it. “This is the good place !” I talk to myself, “A Siege battle will start soon!”

Asking for a beer, thanks to Myhtic Game, I start talking with MG new joiner guys around me. They were starting opening boxes with walls, towers, bridges, ram, bombard, culverins, bowmen’s and heroes. Here we are. We took some pictures of Joan and others, the scale is perfect: humans against wall feet superb.

Leo join us to explain how the demo will run. This is the time Joan comes to Orleans to free the town, and this is the “Fort des Tourelles” battle. Leo ask who want to play? No chance someone take this place so close to me, I immediately say: “I am in” whatever I play French or British - even if it’s hard for a French to play British – (VI Nation rugby tournament comes soon)

As I was part of people reviewing alpha rules published last December, I know pretty well how to play. Now let’s put it into music and see how all of this will work on the table. My opponent is new at that game so he needed some time to start, that let me some time to review the card design, dice faces and probabilities. It's seems heroes have only 2 levels now, no more 3.

For this game we haven’t play the card part which is supposed to mimic a 6 month siege period prior to an attack. I even don’t know if it’s still part of the game and I forgot to ask the question to Leo (too many things to ask).

It’s a six turns scenario, where the French needs to break the walls and reach a tower standing on the back of the wall with a bridge in between. If the French reach the tower in 6 turns or less they win. At turn 3 the French can activate reinforcement from one side. English start first but they have only one unit located on the top of the wall. The game start and I activate my units with black cubes, one to move culverins and bowmen up to walls and another activation on each piece of the wall (3 units on each, as the wall is a building counting for one and located one third Hex allowing 4 sits).

So I start focusing all pieces able to break my wall: bombard, ram and units coming close to the wall trying to rise ladders. Each wall can resist to 3 damage then collapse, if units remain on top when this happens they are taking damages. I quickly understand I can’t face this combat and I need to retreat and slow the French army to resist. So at turn 3 I started to move my men-at-arms back to defend the objective across the bridge in fire (thanks to the French). Fortunately I didn’t suffer loses moving a cross (1 chance to die about 3) and was in a good shape to protect the tower from the side reinforcement.

It took us 2 hours to play those 3 turns as we also explain what we are doing to the audience. I think it was quite interesting for everyone around. As someone request to try the game, I gave my sit at that stage. So I can’t play this scenario till the end.

Whatever, playing it, you can really feel the siege in front of you and your opponent harassment. The game mechanic works really well and offers you a lot of options: move, defend, attack, spread units with pushback, isolate some of them as the attacker decide where the unit goes and finally kill them, but don't foreget your objective or you suddenly loose the game.

Definitely enthusiast to get mine at home and mplay with my friends.

I played with 6-8 different type of unit and around 20-25 units which for me seems not so much, so I start thinking what does that mean with 3 or 4 players with all your maiden box on the table. Amazing !

After playing I spent some time talking to Leo about his work, the way MG is organized, new project they will unveil at Cannes (South of France) by end Feb 2018.

Thanks to all for their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours for 3 turns. That's a long time even if you're explaining everything. Like, really long.

Suddenly I'm not so anxious to buy Siege. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the rules for siege engines work. Aka distance, line of sight, damage, and defense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures or it didn't happen.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bouin
France
flag msg tools
Most of the scenarios are played in 1h or 1h30 (according to all vodes made with BeastsOfWars or TricTrac)
If siege lasts 2hx2 = 4h it would be way too longs !

But from the last video made with LeStream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPb28Yuk30) game lasts 2h15, but with a lot of explainations about the game since nobody nows the game at all.
So I understand JoA can be very longer when you are explaining all the rules for the first time.

From you point of view Sebastien, how long would last the game if there where no explainations to third party ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Montagne
France
Maisons Laffitte
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To me, If everybody knows perfectly all rules: between 1h30 and 2h30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Montagne
France
Maisons Laffitte
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Siege engines are working the same way than other units. You throw some dice, depending the siege engine die color and die number should change and some speciale rule such as: a puschback becomes a damage should be applied. Then the wall have no dice to be roll for defense. Either the siege engine deals damage or misses the target. The 4th damage point destroy the wall.

Bombard can attack till 3 HEX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With painted minis, this will look absolutely amazing on the table. Siege is a sure buy for me, I'm only considering if I should also take the additional siege units.. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Montagne
France
Maisons Laffitte
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have uploaded some pictures, I expect they will be validated soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tananka wrote:
I have uploaded some pictures, I expect they will be validated soon.

Saw them! Thanks! I believe you now.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.