Hide
3 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Does the game do well playing solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam van Geuns
msg tools
Now that so many of us have finally received and played the game, are many players able to tell any stories of them winning the game going solo when they have been teamed up against by alliance players?

I'm curious as to how many solo wins there may have been so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you’re “teamed up”with someone, you are playing it wrong. Alliances never simply “last” into one turn after another. Even when they are not broken by a mandate (Rare for all of them to survive) they tend to be renegotiated anew.

If the question is “was someone not in an alliance at the end of autumn and won in winter?”, then the answer is definitely yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Not much experience to go by here (one five player game). I won yesterday (66 points with the second player finishing with 48 points) as the Lotus Clan. I allied with Koi in the Spring, allied with Koi again in the Summer, but Betrayed sometimes in the middle, and allied with Dragonfly (who started last on the VP count) in the Fall. The player who came in second place (Bonsai) allied with Turtle in the Spring, was solo in the second season, and allied with Koi in the Fall. I pretty much led the VP race throughout the game. Koi was second through Summer and ended up fourth. Bonsai was second-to-last through Summer and finished second thanks to the most battle victories and the only 10 VP bonus for 4 different battlefields. Dragonfly was last through Summer and finished third. Turtle finished last, despite being third at the end of Summer. So the observation is that it should be rare that a player makes it without ban alliance through the entire game unless he does so on purpose. I'm not sure the ability to Betray without losing honor is enough of a compensation for not getting the mandate benefits of an alliance, especially if you start with low honor in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.