Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Various questions after one play-through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil M
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
After playing through the Prologue quest (2 player), here are the questions I couldn't seem to find an answer for. Would appreciate any input, as well as pointing me to the relevant rule text if I just missed it somewhere:

1) Slow - We were hit with an Ice Trap and were slowed during one player's activation. Question is: does the Slow take effect right away, or only on the next turn? In our situation, I had taken my turn already, and we were slowed when my wife opened a door. We played it that she immediately couldn't do any other actions, because she had already done her movement action for that turn. And then the next turn, we were also Slowed, but then discarded them at the end of those turns.

That didn't *seem* right to me, but because I felt the rule book wasn't clear enough, we weren't sure.

2) Stun - Didn't happen to us in the first quest, but similar to above, what happens if a hero is stunned during his/her turn? Does he/she need to forfeit the rest of the turn, and also their next full turn? I don't know if this situation will ever actually happen, but it happened with Slow, so I have to assume it could happen with Stun. I seem to recall something in the rule book about monsters getting stunned during their activation, but I can't find it after a cursory search (maybe it was related to Laegon's trap ability? Can't remember).

3) Event Cards & Active Hero - Minor Prologue spoiler below

Spoiler (click to reveal)
During the first quest, one of the event cards instructs the active hero to draw a Treasure card.
Who is the active hero during an Event phase? How does that work?

4) Crowns, Party vs Individual inventory - Minor Prologue spoiler below

We defeated the Red Gremlin in the cathedral, and the Book of Secrets says that as part of the victory condition, the heroes gain 50 Crowns.
Who gains them? Is this intended to be a shared amount? The rule book is quite clear that Crowns in hero's inventories are not shared.
So how do we distribute these 50 Crowns at the end of the quest? Does each hero gain 50 Crowns? Or only the party as a whole, and it does not matter because they can be freely traded during the next Emporium visit, and separate inventories only really matter because of Gremlin's target priorities during quests?

Sorry for the length. Thank you in advance for any answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erekai wrote:
1) Slow - We were hit with an Ice Trap and were slowed during one player's activation. Question is: does the Slow take effect right away, or only on the next turn? In our situation, I had taken my turn already, and we were slowed when my wife opened a door. We played it that she immediately couldn't do any other actions, because she had already done her movement action for that turn. And then the next turn, we were also Slowed, but then discarded them at the end of those turns.

You immediately apply the Slow effect, but it doesn't "remember" what you've done so far. So your wife would be able to take one Movement, Combat, or Action activity after getting slowed.

Erekai wrote:
2) Stun - Didn't happen to us in the first quest, but similar to above, what happens if a hero is stunned during his/her turn? Does he/she need to forfeit the rest of the turn, and also their next full turn?

Yes, this is exactly what would happen.

Erekai wrote:
Who is the active hero during an Event phase? How does that work?

Whichever hero had the most recent hero turn is considered the "active" hero.

Erekai wrote:
4) Crowns, Party vs Individual inventory - Minor Prologue spoiler below

We defeated the Red Gremlin in the cathedral, and the Book of Secrets says that as part of the victory condition, the heroes gain 50 Crowns.
Who gains them? Is this intended to be a shared amount? The rule book is quite clear that Crowns in hero's inventories are not shared.
So how do we distribute these 50 Crowns at the end of the quest? Does each hero gain 50 Crowns? Or only the party as a whole, and it does not matter because they can be freely traded during the next Emporium visit, and separate inventories only really matter because of Gremlin's target priorities during quests?

These are shared by your party, so you get to decide how to distribute them amongst yourselves.

Personally, the way I play is that I distribute Crowns on heroes at the beginning of each quest, but between quests I pool them (makes life a lot easier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil M
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Just in case I missed something, can you point to the rule book for any of those answers? Or other threads where Simone answered a similar question?

I'm not trying to say I don't believe you (I mean, they all seem like reasonable answers to me), but... y'know... I just want to make sure I'm playing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Erekai wrote:
Just in case I missed something, can you point to the rule book for any of those answers? Or other threads where Simone answered a similar question?

I'm not trying to say I don't believe you (I mean, they all seem like reasonable answers to me), but... y'know... I just want to make sure I'm playing it right.
The answers to 1-3 are definitely in the forums. You can dig around as well as Skaak can.

Don't punish him for doing you a favor and finding the answers for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil M
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
RezardVareth wrote:
Erekai wrote:

The answers to 1-3 are definitely in the forums. You can dig around as well as Skaak can.

Don't punish him for doing you a favor and finding the answers for you...

I have dug around. I've looked through the first few pages at least. I guess I could just keep digging though...

I just figured if he knew where they were, he might be able to find them easier than I could by just blindly digging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble finding a specific reference for most of these.

1) I could be making up the thing about Slow not remembering what happened prior in the turn; I vaguely remember Simone mentioning something along these lines, but my Search-Fu is unable to turn anything up.

2) See for instance this post (Simone is explicitly talking about enemies here, but the idea of the stun impacting the character immediately is the same).

3) Active hero is defined via implication in the rulebook section 4.2, p. 14. It doesn't explicitly say that the last active hero remains the active hero into the event phase, but given that section 4.3, p. 15 kicks things off discussing the stuff the active hero needs to do we can assume that the last active hero continues to remain active into the Event Phase (and presumably up until the next round's first Hero Turn, if that ended up mattering).

4) How you divvy up your loot is up to you, but it's 50 crowns total, not 50 crowns per hero (otherwise it would say "50 crowns per hero"). I'm pretty sure Simone has weighed in on this one, too, but again am unable to find it. If you decide to pool your crowns between quests, that's a house rule. Officially, crowns are always controlled by a specific hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
There's a search function in the forums.

Simone thumbed a "slow" post from Skaak in a thread titled "Mid-turn slow".

Simone answered the Stunned question directly in a thread titled "Stunned".

There is even a thread titled exactly "Active Hero During the Event Phase" where the answer was thumbed by Simone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:
I'm having trouble finding a specific reference for most of these.

1) I could be making up the thing about Slow not remembering what happened prior in the turn; I vaguely remember Simone mentioning something along these lines, but my Search-Fu is unable to turn anything up.

2) See for instance this post (Simone is explicitly talking about enemies here, but the idea of the stun impacting the character immediately is the same).

3) Active hero is defined via implication in the rulebook section 4.2, p. 14. It doesn't explicitly say that the last active hero remains the active hero into the event phase, but given that section 4.3, p. 15 kicks things off discussing the stuff the active hero needs to do we can assume that the last active hero continues to remain active into the Event Phase (and presumably up until the next round's first Hero Turn, if that ended up mattering).

4) How you divvy up your loot is up to you, but it's 50 crowns total, not 50 crowns per hero (otherwise it would say "50 crowns per hero"). I'm pretty sure Simone has weighed in on this one, too, but again am unable to find it. If you decide to pool your crowns between quests, that's a house rule. Officially, crowns are always controlled by a specific hero.

For 4. You can share whenever you are visiting the Emporium, per page 40 of the rules. But you don't have to.

Links:
1. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26192316#26192316
2. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24961253#24961253
3. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24331041#24331041
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
Simone thumbed...
where the answer was thumbed by Simone.

It's unrealistic to expect anyone to go check the "who thumbed this" for all answers to any questions, and there's no search feature for "thumbed by..."

Simone's practice of thumbing correct answers, rather than answering them himself, is, long term, not terribly helpful to those mining the forums for answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

Maybe we have different versions of the (digital) rulebook, but mine explicitly defines this in 4.3:

4.3 pg 15 wrote:
As the main step of this phase, the active hero (the hero who played last in
the Battle Phase) must check the status of the top card of the Event deck:

However, i don't believe this was always the case, and i remember posting this same question last June or July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Maybe we have different versions of the (digital) rulebook, but mine explicitly defines this in 4.3:

4.3 pg 15 wrote:
As the main step of this phase, the active hero (the hero who played last in
the Battle Phase) must check the status of the top card of the Event deck:

Thanks for pointing this out! Looks like I have an outdated copy of the rulebook downloaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do enemies retaliate somehow if you attack them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Libero03 wrote:
Do enemies retaliate somehow if you attack them?
Only if they have a special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for dumb questions, but I have never read the rules and the game is owned by my friend.

In S&S, in 2 player game, the enemies gets to draw activation card after each players turn, right? So first Player X, then enemies, then Player Y, then enemies again. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Libero03 wrote:
Sorry for dumb questions, but I have never read the rules and the game is owned by my friend.

In S&S, in 2 player game, the enemies gets to draw activation card after each players turn, right? So first Player X, then enemies, then Player Y, then enemies again. Is this correct?
Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:

If you want to read the rules, you can find them here:

http://www.sword-and-sorcery.com/manuals/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.