Subject: Looking to the future with Monolith rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
With the shocking news that Monolith now owns the Mythic Battles products, I couldn't help but feel sad the Mythic Games team will no longer be involved as they were a huge part of why I backed the game. I'm sure many backers share my worry about Monolith's handle on MB but instead of adding criticism to their past, I want to share some of my ideas for progression towards the future under Monolith's leadership! Positive thinking!

REPRINT
News of the reprint was a step in the right direction of growing the community and support for the game. However, we need to address the current issues for original backers such as typos and stat clip issues to name a few. As I've read that Monolith has provided a fixed rulebook for free in the past for their Conan game, I, for one, would love this option for original backers but seeing as this might not be possible financially for Monolith, a simple Upgrade/Update kit for a small fee during the Reprint would suffice.

I would like to think that the Reprint would be a little higher in price as a way of rewarding original backers for their trust in an unproven game and the fact that we might have to pay more for the mentioned Update kit. Just want this to be fair for everyone.

GROWING THE COMMUNITY
Now my next idea might be extremely unpopular but hear me out! There was a lot of talk during the MBP campaign about organized play and tournaments and I would love this to come to fruition. I suggest that during the Reprint, Monolith could holds some of their smaller box expansions (Manticore, Oedipus, etc.) OR instead of releasing new miniatures during the Reprint (I know Leo teased Charon the Ferryman at one point) use those as prizes for tournaments/organized play.

FLGS could register with Monolith (to prove they are in business) to buy these exclusives for a small fee (so that Monolith doesn't have to operate at a loss) and host local tournaments for a entry fee of their own.

1. The community will have tournaments and organized play to participate in and perhaps new miniatures to chase after
2. FLGS will have increased traffic/revenue into their stores
3. Monolith will have a thriving community for future MB products

These were just some of the ideas I came up with. What does everyone think?? I know I mentioned some unpopular ideas so please be constructive! I only wish for a long and bright future with Mythic Battles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything wrong with your ideas at all. Any way this game can be made more accessible and successful will benefit the entire community. I do feel, though, that not going to retail will make growing the community next-to-impossible. Whilst a reprint is great, a retail release is the best solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ke1den wrote:

GROWING THE COMMUNITY
Now my next idea might be extremely unpopular but hear me out! There was a lot of talk during the MBP campaign about organized play and tournaments and I would love this to come to fruition. I suggest that during the Reprint, Monolith could holds some of their smaller box expansions (Manticore, Oedipus, etc.) OR instead of releasing new miniatures during the Reprint (I know Leo teased Charon the Ferryman at one point) use those as prizes for tournaments/organized play.

FLGS could register with Monolith (to prove they are in business) to buy these exclusives for a small fee (so that Monolith doesn't have to operate at a loss) and host local tournaments for a entry fee of their own.

1. The community will have tournaments and organized play to participate in and perhaps new miniatures to chase after
2. FLGS will have increased traffic/revenue into their stores

These were just some of the ideas I came up with. What does everyone think?? I know I mentioned some unpopular ideas so please be constructive! I only wish for a long and bright future with Mythic Battles!

I'm not a fan of this idea. I already paid hundreds for a Titan pledge with exclusives. I don't feel like chasing down more exclusives and having to win a tournament or pay through the nose to get them. If Monolith has cool new characters to play with, like Charon or Dionysus, then everyone should have an equal opportunity to get them.

Also, keep in mind, that most people don't live in locations that have lots of LGS' that will support this kind of thing. Those that do don't realize how fortunate they are. For many people the closest game/comic store is 45-60 minutes away, at least, and many of them won't do much beyond Warhammer 40K, Magic, and X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Z
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Also, keep in mind, that most people don't live in locations that have lots of LGS' that will support this kind of thing. Those that do don't realize how fortunate they are. For many people the closest game/comic store is 45-60 minutes away, at least, and many of them won't do much beyond Warhammer 40K, Magic, and X-Wing.

Very true. Some of us have enough social interactions at work and prefer to enjoy games in a tight circle of friends and family....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ke1den wrote:

I would like to think that the Reprint would be a little higher in price as a way of rewarding original backers for their trust in an unproven game and the fact that we might have to pay more for the mentioned Update kit. Just want this to be fair for everyone.

I could say it's "fair" that you got a big shiny before others did, and if you sold it now you'd make a profit (I did!) which you won't be able to do after the reprint most likely. (heck, I was looking to rebuy a Typhon pledge this past weekend, and they were going for over $900 + shipping, easily. Back in December it was $1250+. Expect the price to -really- drop when word of the reprint goes past BGG!)

"But I don't want to sell my copy! I'm having fun with it!"

My point stands.

More importantly, your idea just cost them sales. Partly for pushing the game out of people's economic reach (it's not cheap!), partly by making new backers bitter. It might work, I'll grant you, but Monolith needs the economy of scale and simplified logistics to work in their favor, and the easiest way to do so is by making that "All-In" Typhon pledge cost the same. A compromise might be raising costs on individual items, which would also help drive Typhon pledges, and they know it (only know the discounts on a Typhon pledge would be greater than before).

ke1den wrote:

Wait for it....

ke1den wrote:

So... you want to get a bunch of FLGSs to pay a small fee for tourney kits, promoting a game they almost certainly don't even sell?

On the upside, it would either drive people to the FLGSs for the tourney and they might impulse buy stuff from the store, or it'd give the FLGSs something to flip on eBay for a profit. And of the two, I'm betting FLGSs would take the second route.

Meanwhile, I can hear people screaming for blood if the only way they can get the figs is by (gasp!) leaving their house! (and worse, winning a tourney!)

A compromise: make the figs and cards alternate art versions. If people aren't flocking to compete or support the tourney kits, the interest in tourneys isn't really that big. (and my bet is the interest in tourneys isn't really that big*)

New minis -will- be coming with MBR though.

ke1den wrote:

How will these ideas for supporting FLGSs -increase- the community? Monolith's keeping it all KSE remember. Is the goal to build hype so people can wait for their next reprint or KSE project?

My suggestions for growing the community:

1) Expand the advertising.
2) Maintain communications.
3) Cheaply (freely ideally) replace bad components (it's expensive, but it great PR to show they care about their games and don't just fire a product out and move on to the next thing).
4) Make sure future games in the MB line are cross-compatible (I -think- they are, but I'm not sure).
5) Release new scenarios for free in PDF form** (they can even let fans write them or something) and periodically collect and print them for sale perhaps.
6) Do another reprint in 2020 or so, and announce it ASAP. (eventually, reprints -will- have to go up in price due to increased materials costs. Likewise, shipping will go up too because shipping always goes up. And then there's distribution price increases, and taxes, and more! Announcing the realities of manufacturing might help motivate people so they don't wait until later, but if they really want the game they probably want it now anyway.)

(*the idea of tourneys and organized play for MBP was pretty much blown to pieces once so many gameplay elements were made KSE. I think it was further curb stomped by making the game entirely KSE. They won't stop you, but I think it's a low-to-non priority for them now.)
(**they could also sell the PDFs, but the goal here is to grow the fanbase than sell stuff.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to offer new content is to make it alternate miniatures and/or card art but same stats as an existing unit.

Doing something new that people can’t get unless they play in an event is a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootie wrote:
Whilst a reprint is great, a retail release is the best solution.

So....

The core game just went from $99 to... let's say $120* (after distributors add their fee, and the retailers add their fee... and then mark it back down).

Also, it doesn't have any of the KS Exclusives**.

Also also, the store is skeptical and only orders a few of the items and can't keep them in stock.

And they're all more expensive than the KS prices anyway, so people are buying them at the same rate they do a CMoN game. Which is to say: not as well as the retailer would hope.

For these giant sprawling boutique games, crowd funding direct sales really is the best option.

"But how do we grow the community?"

Ultimately, the question is just asking "how do we sell stuff?" Like I keep harping: make good games, be very supportive of your customers, and don't scare off new guys by hiking prices or removing game play. And remember: the game stores are -not- your customers, the people backing you on KS and talking about your games (and hopefully playing them!) are.

(*I know they list MSRP for stuff on the KS. Expect those to be the price the OLGS discounters would -have- to sell at, or close to it.)
(**So, does Monolith reneg and release the Exclusives freely, or do they mark them/cast them in different colored plastic to make them "unlimited"? Regardless, all that stuff just added more cost to "go all in" at retail to buy them separately, while decreasing the value of all the sets with now removed exclusive items at retail. All of which further drives people to support Monolith at KS in their future project and not at retail afterwards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
San Dee Jota wrote:
ke1den wrote:

I could say it's "fair" that you got a big shiny before others did, and if you sold it now you'd make a profit (I did!) which you won't be able to do after the reprint most likely. (heck, I was looking to rebuy a Typhon pledge this past weekend, and they were going for over $900 + shipping, easily. Back in December it was $1250+. Expect the price to -really- drop when word of the reprint goes past BGG!)

"But I don't want to sell my copy! I'm having fun with it!"

My point stands.

More importantly, your idea just cost them sales. Partly for pushing the game out of people's economic reach (it's not cheap!), partly by making new backers bitter. It might work, I'll grant you, but Monolith needs the economy of scale and simplified logistics to work in their favor, and the easiest way to do so is by making that "All-In" Typhon pledge cost the same. A compromise might be raising costs on individual items, which would also help drive Typhon pledges, and they know it (only know the discounts on a Typhon pledge would be greater than before).

ke1den wrote:

Wait for it....

ke1den wrote:

So... you want to get a bunch of FLGSs to pay a small fee for tourney kits, promoting a game they almost certainly don't even sell?

On the upside, it would either drive people to the FLGSs for the tourney and they might impulse buy stuff from the store, or it'd give the FLGSs something to flip on eBay for a profit. And of the two, I'm betting FLGSs would take the second route.

Meanwhile, I can hear people screaming for blood if the only way they can get the figs is by (gasp!) leaving their house! (and worse, winning a tourney!)

A compromise: make the figs and cards alternate art versions. If people aren't flocking to compete or support the tourney kits, the interest in tourneys isn't really that big. (and my bet is the interest in tourneys isn't really that big*)

New minis -will- be coming with MBR though.

ke1den wrote:

How will these ideas for supporting FLGSs -increase- the community? Monolith's keeping it all KSE remember. Is the goal to build hype so people can wait for their next reprint or KSE project?

My suggestions for growing the community:

1) Expand the advertising.
2) Maintain communications.
3) Cheaply (freely ideally) replace bad components (it's expensive, but it great PR to show they care about their games and don't just fire a product out and move on to the next thing).
4) Make sure future games in the MB line are cross-compatible (I -think- they are, but I'm not sure).
5) Release new scenarios for free in PDF form** (they can even let fans write them or something) and periodically collect and print them for sale perhaps.
6) Do another reprint in 2020 or so, and announce it ASAP. (eventually, reprints -will- have to go up in price due to increased materials costs. Likewise, shipping will go up too because shipping always goes up. And then there's distribution price increases, and taxes, and more! Announcing the realities of manufacturing might help motivate people so they don't wait until later, but if they really want the game they probably want it now anyway.)

(*the idea of tourneys and organized play for MBP was pretty much blown to pieces once so many gameplay elements were made KSE. I think it was further curb stomped by making the game entirely KSE. They won't stop you, but I think it's a low-to-non priority for them now.)
(**they could also sell the PDFs, but the goal here is to grow the fanbase than sell stuff.)

Wow these are some great ideas! I didn't realize how bad mine were in comparison to yours!

Thanks for keeping it civil everyone! Kind of embarrassed I even brought it up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ke1den wrote:

Wow these are some great ideas! I didn't realize how bad mine were in comparison to yours!

Thanks for keeping it civil everyone! Kind of embarrassed I even brought it up

Don't be.

I'm operating on minimal sleep, trying to stay awake. I see thoughts like this repeatedly for this and other games, and I quasi-snapped. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cooper
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
The KSE....and organized play. That has me curious.

For whatever reason, I thought organized play would always consist of a draft then the actual game play. So, the draft would be from the same pool as your opponent. As in, I bring in my Mythic Battles, we draft with what I bring in and see who wins and moves up to the next rank. OR it could be something like "Jan to April, core + Hera figs are allowed. May to Aug would be core + Poseidon". So bring in those sets and when you draft just don't use the KSEs in organized play.

I dunno....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.