Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Local Path Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren A
Canada
flag msg tools
During the Action Phase, an investigator may move along
any number of interconnected Local paths.
•  Each investigator may perform this movement only
once per round.
•  This movement does not require an action but cannot
be performed by a Delayed investigator.

During a game if a city space is connected to a wilderness space via a local path you may want to perform your 2 actions in a city but end your turn on the wilderness space. Is it legal to move along a local path after you perform both your actions? Is it still considered the action phase or does the action phase end when you perform both your actions?

If the action phase immediately ends after your second action then I would think you have to move along a local path before you perform your second action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never heard of Local Paths before this thread. After some research, it looks like Local Paths are from the Egypt expansion.

I'm not sure if it helps, but here's a related link from the Egypt page:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1497231/local-paths-and-act...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can move along a local path after you perform both your actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aren't the free local paths only the ones that lead to/from sideboards and not the random wilderness spaces?

If not, I'm not sure I'll be happy or sad to hear I've been doing it wrong all this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Breski

Chorley
msg tools
mb
madantichris wrote:
Aren't the free local paths only the ones that lead to/from sideboards and not the random wilderness spaces?

If not, I'm not sure I'll be happy or sad to hear I've been doing it wrong all this time.

There is no local paths on the main board. And yes local paths are on all 3 sideboards. OP question is stil valid as there are city/ wilderness spaces on sideboards (see dreamlands for example)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Johansson
msg tools
wkover wrote:
I'd never heard of Local Paths before this thread. After some research, it looks like Local Paths are from the Egypt expansion.

I'm not sure if it helps, but here's a related link from the Egypt page:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1497231/local-paths-and-act...

I think first instance is in Mountains of Madness where there is one from Antartica to the first place on the side board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's legal. I don't recall anywhere that says the action phase must end immediately after 2 actions. It typically says that the action phase consists of two actions but there's nothing that makes me think a non-action-action can't be squeezed in at the endQ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shodan84 wrote:
madantichris wrote:

There is no local paths on the main board. And yes local paths are on all 3 sideboards. OP question is stil valid as there are city/ wilderness spaces on sideboards (see dreamlands for example)

Whew, ok. I'm not going mad.

...except from the obvious *other* causes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure that you only use the free Local Path movement once during your turn, though. I was playing with someone that wanted to perform an Action on one space, use a Local Path to move to another space, perform a second Action on the new space, then move back to the original space on the Local Path. Only the first use of the Local Path is free.

He was thinking that Local Paths just meant that it doesn't take any game time to move between them whenever you want, but that's not true.

However, you can also move along a Local Path as part of a Travel Action. So you could start in one space, move along a Local Path for free to a new space, perform your first Action, then move along a different Local Path as a Travel Action as your second Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
randomlife wrote:
... So you could start in one space, move along a Local Path for free to a new space, perform your first Action, then move along a different Local Path as a Travel Action as your second Action.

Are you sure? Or can someone confirm that?
Especially with the dreamlands expansion it can happen occasionally that you could move along 2 different local paths when dream portals are near each other. But is that really possible?

In the manual it says:
"During the Action Phase, an investigator may move along
"
But when or where exactly are two or more local paths directly connected with each other? There's not a single example coming to my mind right now.
Or did I get something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZedVasquez wrote:
Are you sure? Or can someone confirm that?
Especially with the dreamlands expansion it can happen occasionally that you could move along 2 different local paths when dream portals are near each other. But is that really possible?

In the manual it says:
"During the Action Phase, an investigator may move along
"
But when or where exactly are two or more local paths directly connected with each other? There's not a single example coming to my mind right now.
Or did I get something wrong?

The most interconnected local paths I have seen together is on the Africa/Egypt sideboard.

That said, yes it's true. You can take each local path for free once per round. Any movement over the same local paths can still be taken provided you have not taken the Travel action thaz round. It was officially answered by the designer somewhere in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
That makes it very clear now.
Besten Dank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.